Toyota Camry - Gasoline or Hybrid?

ThaiBob

I just learned that I am still a Toyota VIP member (at age 71!) and can buy a new Camry with no money down and favorable financing terms. I am debating the merits of the gasoline (2.5G) vs the Hybrid model. Any thoughts or does anyone own the hybrid model? I already own a gasoline Camry. 

• Haha 1

First ..wait for the December Motorshow.

I looked at exactly this option four years ago and would have gone for the Hybrid as the spec was better.

I now have a plugin and even on a long run find it running on the Hybrid battery at times...I tend to run it in Hybrid mode as opposed to Sport, Sport+ etc.

Edited by JAS21
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

First ..wait for the December Motorshow.

I looked at exactly this option four years ago and would have gone for the Hybrid as the spec was better.

I now have a plugin and even on a long run find it running on the Hybrid battery at times...I tend to run it in Hybrid mode as opposed to Sport, Sport+ etc.

When is the motor show? 

13 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

When is the motor show? 

Public  30th Nov to 20th Dec .... www.impact.co.th   however if you show your dealer a big interest ask him to invite you to VIP Day...especially as he says you are VIP....

If you wait to the evening of the last day then you might get the best deal ...

Edited by JAS21
  • Thanks 1

We own a Camry Hybrid Premium 2.5G since 6 months. The car has even exceeded our expectations. The Hybrid allows for a smooth yet powerful ride comparable or even better to more expensive high end German cars.

We have no comparison to the gasoline only version. But given that this one lacks some extras as well we would recommend to go wtith the hybrid version. We would buy a Camry Hybrid new model anytime again.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, moogradod said:

We own a Camry Hybrid Premium 2.5G since 6 months. The car has even exceeded our expectations. The Hybrid allows for a smooth yet powerful ride comparable or even better to more expensive high end German cars.

We have no comparison to the gasoline only version. But given that this one lacks some extras as well we would recommend to go wtith the hybrid version. We would buy a Camry Hybrid new model anytime again.

Thanks, I was told the wait is four months plus for the Hybrid versus 2 months for the gasoline. I am an impatient person and the hybrid premium model has reclining rear seats which I don't need. Perhaps the next hybrid model down would be a better option for me. 

2 hours ago, beddhist said:

Do you mean a Camry Hybrid Plugin? I thought this model was not sold in Th and I could not find it on their web site.

I now see it could have read like that... No I bought a money pit ...????

Edited by JAS21

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Public  30th Nov to 20th Dec .... www.impact.co.th   however if you show your dealer a big interest ask him to invite you to VIP Day...especially as he says you are VIP....

If you wait to the evening of the last day then you might get the best deal ...

I meant to write 10th Dec and not 20th

23 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

Thanks, I was told the wait is four months plus for the Hybrid versus 2 months for the gasoline. I am an impatient person and the hybrid premium model has reclining rear seats which I don't need. Perhaps the next hybrid model down would be a better option for me. 

From the reviews I've read, the hybrid would be a better option, especially if you live in town. The hybrid fuel economy will be much better. The 2.5 petrol likes to rev and would be better for long distance high speed driving. If considering the 2.5 petrol, I'd probably look at the honda accord turbo, which is quite a bit cheaper. 

• Thanks 1

But ask  a dealer for comparison fuel economy figures for the two models and they can't tell you. Same with Honda. Just "oh the hybrid is better".  Same if you ask for 0-100 kph times ...can't tell.  

Ask Ford if the Focus , Fiesta or Ecosport are still on the market or will be returning no answer!  

They have a strange way of selling cars here.

Edited by wjhall

What is the guarantee on the hybrid battery? Bear in mind battery replacement is very costly, and should be factored into your decision.

I'll take a small bet if you ask any salesperson here what the replacement cost is, 95% won't know the answer.

21 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What is the guarantee on the hybrid battery? Bear in mind battery replacement is very costly, and should be factored into your decision.

I'll take a small bet if you ask any salesperson here what the replacement cost is, 95% won't know the answer.

They won't know the answer because they are meant to last about 8 years, that's a long way off. Plus car at eight years old it will probably not be worth much anyhoooo, cos the battery's death will be looming..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, transam said:

They won't know the answer because they are meant to last about 8 years, that's a long way off. Plus car at eight years old it will probably not be worth much anyhoooo, cos the battery's death will be looming..

Perhaps i'm old-fashioned, but to me a car should last a lot longer than that. The most cost-efficient way to buy a car is when it is 2-3 years old, with low mileage. Then run it until it drops dead.

I have a car in Australia, 15 yo and still going strong. One here, 13 yo and I expect at least another 100,000 km out of it.

There's a Nissan Leaf ( battery only ) in Australia where the battery died after only 3 years. $52,000 car. The not so happy owner has been quoted $30,000 for replacement. I think it's the subject of legal action.

Personally, I would start considering hybrids, or electric only, when manufacturers can provide evidence of longevity. The sales figures for them in Oz indicate most Aussies agree with me.

8 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

So extremely hot and sitting in traffic. a/c needs to run. How does this work when engine shuts down ?

Electronic Air conditioner, not unlike (but smaller) than the unit you have at home.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91647/electronic-air-conditioning-an-overview-of-systems-found-in-today-s-hybrid-vehicles

Nissan were quoted as saying the battery should last at least 8 years and by that they meant that it would still have a capacity of 70 or 80% (can't remember which). At that point the battery is still not dead, quite the contrary. They can do another 10 years in stationary storage, so they are worth something. By the time the 8 years have elapsed we can expect bigger and cheaper batteries, as technology has progressed. If the OEM is not willing to supply replacement batteries local refurbishers will fill the gap.

I say this because in 2010 I was looking into buying a 2nd hand Leaf in NZ and I found there was at least one company in Auckland already advertising battery and computer refurbishing.

1 hour ago, beddhist said:

Nissan were quoted as saying the battery should last at least 8 years and by that they meant that it would still have a capacity of 70 or 80% (can't remember which). At that point the battery is still not dead, quite the contrary. They can do another 10 years in stationary storage, so they are worth something. By the time the 8 years have elapsed we can expect bigger and cheaper batteries, as technology has progressed. If the OEM is not willing to supply replacement batteries local refurbishers will fill the gap.

I say this because in 2010 I was looking into buying a 2nd hand Leaf in NZ and I found there was at least one company in Auckland already advertising battery and computer refurbishing.

You are kidding, right? Car manufacturers are squeezing independent repairers in Australia by denying them access to essential software. Perhaps NZ has stronger consumer laws. Post #16 tells the story, you can check it out on Youtube by searching "John Cadogan".

On that basis, I wouldn't touch a secondhand Leaf with a barge pole.

I leased a Leaf and it was just fine. I think that battery issue was an aberration, never heard of that before.

Also Prius have been used as taxis and have the batteries going strong at over 250,000 miles. Great car, but I believe no longer sold here.

Meanwhile Honda Thailand really lags behind. Test drove the CRV Hybrid in UK IN July which was very good especially in performance and the diesel version is being discontinued in Europe. All Honda Thailand offers is the underpowered 1.6diesel no one else wants and ANCIENT 2,4 petrol engine. How about the new 1.5 turbo engine for the HRV I asked as an alternative. No,just the again ancient 1.8.

I will just continue with my top of the range 4 year old Isuzu 3 litre pickup until Honda wakes up to not dumping old engines on Thai market 

7 hours ago, wjhall said:

But ask  a dealer for comparison fuel economy figures for the two models and they can't tell you. Same with Honda. Just "oh the hybrid is better".  Same if you ask for 0-100 kph times ...can't tell.  

Ask Ford if the Focus , Fiesta or Ecosport are still on the market or will be returning no answer!  

They have a strange way of selling cars here.

I'm not surprised the salespeople won't know acceleration times - however my honda dealer did tell em my old civic would get about 10km/l when I bought it years ago, and that was pretty close to the mark.

There is a lot on theinternet re acceleration and fuel economy measures for the accord and camry in the Thai press. Indeed the hybrid versions are quicker and more economical. That's the sort of thing I researched before buying my latest car. It makes it easier to narrow down the choice. 

accord hybrid tech 8.2 sec 0-100km/h, 17.7 km/l at 100km/h  (8.8-9.5 sec for the 1.5 turbo)

camry hybrid 9.2 sec, 20.8 km/l (9.4-9.6 sec for 2.5 petrol)

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Meanwhile Honda Thailand really lags behind. Test drove the CRV Hybrid in UK IN July which was very good especially in performance and the diesel version is being discontinued in Europe. All Honda Thailand offers is the underpowered 1.6diesel no one else wants and ANCIENT 2,4 petrol engine. How about the new 1.5 turbo engine for the HRV I asked as an alternative. No,just the again ancient 1.8.

I will just continue with my top of the range 4 year old Isuzu 3 litre pickup until Honda wakes up to not dumping old engines on Thai market 

I suppose you drove the underpowered 1.6 diesel? I have one and it hap plenty of power for what it was desinged to do. You will need to wait a couple more years form the 1.5 to be put in the crv here. I very much doubt the hrv will get the 1.5. 

12 hours ago, DavisH said:

I suppose you drove the underpowered 1.6 diesel? I have one and it hap plenty of power for what it was desinged to do. You will need to wait a couple more years form the 1.5 to be put in the crv here. I very much doubt the hrv will get the 1.5. 

I drove the 212 hp hybrid which is over 1/3rd more powerful than your tiny 1.6 diesel. You don’t think you’d notice such a big difference especially when loaded with 4/5 passengers and luggage which is what an SUV is 'designed' to do? 

The only reason you’ve got the diesel is that it’s been ditched in most other markets and Thailand is the dumping ground for Honda's old obsolete technology as your 'couple more years' for the turbo petrol attests . Other markets have this engine already while the uneconomic inferior 2.4 petrol is what you get dumped with here.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps i'm old-fashioned, but to me a car should last a lot longer than that. The most cost-efficient way to buy a car is when it is 2-3 years old, with low mileage. Then run it until it drops dead.

I have a car in Australia, 15 yo and still going strong. One here, 13 yo and I expect at least another 100,000 km out of it.

My Nissan 2.5l TD pickup is 25 years old.

It's a smokey old rust bucket, but still starts fine as long as I replace the battery every 3-4 years.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I drove the 212 hp hybrid which is over 1/3rd more powerful than your tiny 1.6 diesel. You don’t think you’d notice such a big difference especially when loaded with 4/5 passengers and luggage which is what an SUV is 'designed' to do? 

The only reason you’ve got the diesel is that it’s been ditched in most other markets and Thailand is the dumping ground for Honda's old obsolete technology as your 'couple more years' for the turbo petrol attests . Other markets have this engine already while the uneconomic inferior 2.4 petrol is what you get dumped with here.

Did you enjoy the hybrid when the cvt is screamints tits off? I prefer real gears, thanks. BTW the 1.6 diesel is not an "old engine" It superseded the 2.2 diesel. The 2.4 is extremely reliable, by the way, as it has been though a number of interations. 

Of course the hybrid will be faster, but I would by a civic turbo is I wanted to drive fast anyway. 

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Did you enjoy the hybrid when the cvt is screamints tits off? I prefer real gears, thanks. BTW the 1.6 diesel is not an "old engine" It superseded the 2.2 diesel. The 2.4 is extremely reliable, by the way, as it has been though a number of interations. 

Of course the hybrid will be faster (0-100 9.2 secs for AWD isn't all that fast), but I would by a civic turbo is I wanted to drive fast anyway. 

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I absolutely did prefer the seamless delivery of power (I thought I wouldn’t) which always kept the revs in the sweet spot (no screaming at all) and of course a lot of the time the engine is not running at all as it is under the virtually silent electric motor. All without the old fashioned repetitive up and down the rev range and hunting between gears of an old fashioned auto. I’m betting you’ve not driven a hybrid?

Reliable is easy, there are thousands of 10/12 year old pickups doing that,but efficiency,smoothness and sophistication are different matters. Power is what you need when overtaking,not driving fast.