Britain set for 1970s public spending levels as parties woo voters - report

snoop1130

Michael Gove speaking this morning...

"A no-deal Brexit will stay on the table if the Conservatives win the general election, Michael Gove says, admitting the UK could still crash out of the EU without a trade deal."

Oh dear!  The Brexit Party have really got you rattled haven't they Boris.  You must be running scared to get Gove to come up with that little nugget!  And you still expect people to believe a word you say.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

If Corbyn gets in ,the pound will go way down ,so those of us living on pensions better start cutting back .

Corbyn will end frozen pensions so we all can only hope that he does beat bungling boris the serial liar.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Both sides will promise massive spending which would involve unparalleled borrowing, but don't worry as neither party would fulfil their pledges.  It's just electioneering folks!

Exactly.

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Now I can understand why Tories would change horses and vote for the Brexit Party, Nigel is right that Johnson's deal isn't a proper Brexit, it is just a re-hashed version of May's deal that Boris, JRM and the ERG rejected.  I can see how frustrating that must be for Brexiteers within the party and Farage is right out there when it comes to right wing policies.

However I am surprised by so many Labour voters saying they would vote for the right wing Brexit Party.  I guess it shows yet again that people are totally blinkered by Brexit and that is the only issue they are interested in.  Sod the fact that have voted Labour all their lives and so did their fathers before them.

Perhaps they have realised they can actually think and make choices for themselves and no longer need to be 'traditional'? That must send shivers up the spine of the staunch party supporters.

2 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Perhaps they have realised they can actually think and make choices for themselves and no longer need to be 'traditional'? That must send shivers up the spine of the staunch party supporters.

Quote: That must send shivers up the spine of the staunch party supporters.

Would it not be nice if we could "send shivers up the spine" of all staunch party supporters.

(Not limited to political parties.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

They probably know better than to ditch good business they can rely on in the hope of getting better business they can’t even see.

Who would ever have thought? Chomper and Dong sharing the same interest in philosophy? There may still be hope for mankind.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I knew it...... I was already worrying that someone may confuse postulates with bargirls. My fault, I should have anticipated.

No problem, a lot of bar girls have met more ancient Greek and Italian philosophers, well, maybe not philosophers but definitely ancient, than you and I are ever likely to meet.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

You would hope so but I fear they get their guidance from the twisted politicians they read about or listen to.  Making choices based on facts is a luxury none of us are afforded these days.

1 minute ago, emptypockets said:

No problem, a lot of bar girls have met more ancient Greek and Italian philosophers, or otherwise, than you and I are ever likely to meet.

speak for yourself

and explain "otherwise"

and and how many bar girls have seen the movie "Never on Sundays"? Surely they don't even know the meaning of "never" (never what?) on sundays.

Sunday was Melina Mercouri - the later minister of culture - day off

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Not really you,'ve just got to look back at Labour's last term of office where Gordon (they,'ll be no more boom and bust ) Brown who devalued the £ to bail out his banking buddies in the city

The last person to devalue the pound was Harold Wilson in 1967. 

Rooster

• Like 1

I do like the  over the top PC NHS brochure, 4  photos and only one whitey squeezed into the group photo.......Uk  population 87%  white yet they still insist on this way over the top racial photo showing white people as a minority group.

Not the first one Ive seen  like this, followed a  UK  bus when i was there this  year and it didnt show one white person for joining the local college.

nhs__hlaxzh.jpg

31 minutes ago, Chazar said:

I do like the  over the top PC NHS brochure, 4  photos and only one whitey squeezed into the group photo.......Uk  population 87%  white yet they still insist on this way over the top racial photo showing white people as a minority group.

Not the first one Ive seen  like this, followed a  UK  bus when i was there this  year and it didnt show one white person for joining the local college.

nhs__hlaxzh.jpg

Are you playing with a full pack? Over the top? 'Whiteys' are in two of the photos.

First photo reflects that we have had foreign born doctors and nurses in the NHS for decades. Without them, would we have an NHS?

Group photo represents some of the people who call Britain home.

Enter a London hospital and you'll find that the staff hail from all over the world. I do not have a problem with that. I just want to be treated by the best.

If you get het up over a picture on an NHS brochure, perhaps it's time to reevaluate your life. Perhaps start contributing to Britain's wellbeing, instead of just venting uselessly on a Thailand based forum.

If you added the representative amount of 'whiteys', you would have to exclude others from the group picture. So some would not be represented at all. So perhaps the point of the picture is to show people from all corners laughing and smiling together.

nhs-ltp-thumbnail.jpg

The world is changing. Adapt or die.

11 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That is only because ever since, all currencies were floating, so no more possibility to devalue or revalue them.

I beg to differ. 

Ever since the abandonment of the gold standard currencies have floated against each other and there have been devaluations usually to the detriment of those doing them. 

Rooster

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

sorry it was quantitative easing in 2008 same thing as devaluation but a lot catchier

Cobblers?

No quantitative easing is not same as currency devaluation . QE is a monetary policy used by central banks in which the banks purchase government securities or other securities in order to increase the money supply and lower the interest rate.

Let google be your friend before you are rude to people in online forums.

Rooster

7 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Cobblers?

No quantitative easing is not same as currency devaluation . QE is a monetary policy used by central banks in which the banks purchase government securities or other securities in order to increase the money supply and lower the interest rate.

Let google be your friend before you are rude to people in online forums.

Rooster

And was the result of the above mentioned action the pound being devalued,albeit by " the markets"?