American and Thai wife on the run after police officer ‘shot and stabbed’ in Pattaya

webfact

I'm by no means a criminal but I read a lot of thrillers. :)

How hard would it be for him? Assume he has access to 10k USD. Possibly more but I wonder if he could do it for 10?

--Ditch the car

--Disguise (wig, hat, fake a limp to distract, possibly crutches?)

--Bus to Laos border

--Swim/boat across Mekong

--Spend a few months in Vientiane low profile, or to Luang with lots of tourists to blend in with

--Buy a fake passport: not American, maybe Canadian? 5k USD max?

--Fly out with Canadian passport to Hawaii or Guam?

8 hours ago, robblok said:

He is a criminal, there are ways to get over the border illegal . Of course he should not go the legal way. That you even think about this is strange, usually your quite sharp. It is still early however. 

If your a criminal on the run you don't take a normal border checkpoint you try to get over any other way. Its extra risk but as you say the risk of getting caught at a border checkpoint is higher.

It seems to be pretty easy to use a "green border" to Cambodia, Laos, or Myanmar.

A Dutch citizen who got caught with 2 kg of pot rode his Chinese bike from Hua Hin to the Cambodian border near Sisaket province, then crossed into Cambodia in a forest and bought a ticket to Amsterdam in Phnom Phen. 

The irony of it was that the cop let him out of his cell to "change money" and gave him the confiscated passport on a weekend, where only one officer was on duty. ( His story, but I believe he'd hang his "friend" from Rotterdam for all).

The plane even landed at Bangkok's Don Muang airport to take on more passengers, but he's in transit.

He left near Phosing, Sisaket province while they were searching everywhere else. 

It doesn't seem to be very "uncommon" that people aren't using the ordinary borders.  

They should use a gun and kill this suck_r, he deserved it. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, AMERICAFIRST said:

I'm by no means a criminal but I read a lot of thrillers. ????

How hard would it be for him? Assume he has access to 10k USD. Possibly more but I wonder if he could do it for 10?

--Ditch the car

--Bus to Laos border

--Spend a few months in Vientiane low profile, or to Luang with lots of tourists to blend in with

Wow, 1st post, and already in contention for Thaivisa sleuth of the year ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pegman said:

No, I don't believe the suspects, a South African & a Brit, were ever caught. 

I thought they were being held in Cambodia and would be returned to Thailand. One often does not hear more on these stories.... someone paid up, everyone happy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ouch!

I would not want to be them when they are caught.

Being arrested and jailed in Thailand is already something that I would not wish on my worst enemies, but these ones, should they live, are likely to have it even worse than most.

In their shoes, I wouldn't allow myself to be captured...

rockn roll

10 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Ouch!

I would not want to be them when they are caught.

Being arrested and jailed in Thailand is already something that I would not wish on my worst enemies, but these ones, should they live, are likely to have it even worse than most.

In their shoes, I wouldn't allow myself to be captured...

rockn roll

Just crazy......to mess with drugs in a foreign country, especially here.

I used to visit an American doing 6 yrs for Pot.

10 meter X 10 meter cell

45 guys sleeping head to foot with just 2 ceiling fans

Sleeping on bare concrete floor

1 night sleeping on concrete floor, I’d be in a wheelchair.

Wanted to get him roll up mat to sleep on, not allowed.

1 hour ago, AMERICAFIRST said:

--Ditch the car

--Bus to Laos border

Canadian Passports have facial biometrics built into the chip and digitally encoded in the page.    The US has access to quite a number of important data that can be looked up on entry (I know they have access to the national fingerprint database, and a number of other databases).  Any nationality other than Canadian or American will have to place their fingers in the scanner and if the persons finger prints are on file - it will show up.  The US Embassy would have been notified when he was arrested, and that he has escaped... If my memory serves me, if you are arrested in a foreign country for a serious crime, that will also be in the US system.  In other words, I think he would be wise to try and not enter through a border checkpoint in either Canada or the United States since they share a lot of information as part of cooperation (as part of a semi-open border initiative).   (post 9/11 security). 

4 minutes ago, connda said:

My guess if they are found in Thailand they will be returned to custody in boxes.

Willing to bet ALL countries have a shoot on sight advisory.  They have no intention of being taken alive ... so yeah ... shoot first, and shoot straight.

1 hour ago, AMERICAFIRST said:

--Ditch the car

--Bus to Laos border

Wouldn't Malaysia make more sense? 

25 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Canadian Passports have facial biometrics built into the chip and digitally encoded in the page.    The US has access to quite a number of important data that can be looked up on entry (I know they have access to the national fingerprint database, and a number of other databases).  Any nationality other than Canadian or American will have to place their fingers in the scanner and if the persons finger prints are on file - it will show up.  The US Embassy would have been notified when he was arrested, and that he has escaped... If my memory serves me, if you are arrested in a foreign country for a serious crime, that will also be in the US system.  In other words, I think he would be wise to try and not enter through a border checkpoint in either Canada or the United States since they share a lot of information as part of cooperation (as part of a semi-open border initiative).   (post 9/11 security). 

Yeah that makes total sense. He probably will not be able to go home for a long time, either way: caught or on the lam. 

When caught, the American will probably hang himself in his cell -- with his hands tied behind his back.

But in all seriousness, I can comprehend the temptation to make a little dough selling drugs.  But here?  In Thailand?  The American would have so many rights in the US that a good lawyer would probably get him off.  But here?  In Thailand?  They still have a death penalty for this $hit.  What was the guy thinking?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Wasn't there a Norwegian guy recently, that allegedly killed his next-door neighbor in a hotel in Phuket or Pattaya? Out on bail and disappeared? Feel like this was a big story and then nothing.

Still on the run according to Norwegian media. 

It’s not difficult to disappear in Thailand due to the warm weather and how easy it is to survive in the jungle ( just watch out for Asian hornets ). Personally, I would head to Phuket. Never any police on the drive from Bangkok to Phuket and loads of endless jungle to disappear in for a few weeks while things settled down. Honestly, you could probably just head to northern Phuket where all the wealthy expats live and post up in a cave along one of the many empty beaches there. You could also just hire a speed boat to drop you off on one of the many random islands surrounding Phuket. A motivated individual could survive for years on one of those little islands. 

Another approach would be to go where the police would never imagine you would go: the wealthiest part of Thailand. Just head to Lugana Beach in Phuket. Police wouldn’t dare set foot in Laguna as it is ultra-rich expat territory. I don’t think a Thai police officer has ever dared to enter Laguna. So yeah, good place to hide. Lots of little nooks and caves there as well. Just post up on the beach and blend in with the rich tourists.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, intheheartoftheheart said:

Wasn't there a Norwegian guy recently, that allegedly killed his next-door neighbor in a hotel in Phuket or Pattaya? Out on bail and disappeared? Feel like this was a big story and then nothing. 

Attempted murder/or murder of a police officer is the worst crime there is in the eyes of the police..So just a run of the mill murder just does not compare to this one....

Edited by fforest1

5 minutes ago, Duck J Butters said:

It’s not difficult to disappear in Thailand due to the warm weather and how easy it is to survive in the jungle ( just watch out for Asian hornets ).

Yeah right, we had two in Canada that probably thought the same thing (in Northern Manitoba in summer)... and they were self-styled survivalists on the run for murder... they went in, and in a matter of weeks they were dead.  I suspect the jungle in Thailand is actually more hostile.

• Like 1

One thing I have to say: "If I had the choice between death penalty / life imprisonment or escape, I would certainly break out and escape."

Another point is: "With the right connections to a good pass counterfeiters (who maybe is also a visa agent, or is befriended with one ...) you can get a first class & uptodate passport from a real person who look similar to you."

The someone on the inside must be very very high up to arrange a court breakout. Or the other option is the higher ups are deeply involved in said drugs and decided the potential death of a police officer or two was worth paying to have these three silenced. I greatly suspect the death sentence the court would have announced has already been carried out, no passports, no boats or planes and no border crossings these three are now part of some new local motorway project. Everything to do with this was way too easy and flowed way too well for it to be arranged by a guy in prison or his associates.