U.S. diplomat Sondland reverses impeachment testimony, says he knew of Ukraine quid pro quo

webfact

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

LOL. That house of cards is faaaaaaaalling fast. Surreal how the reps and his base cannot see his immorality. Really really strange.

I don't think that's surreal at all. They can see but it's all about damage limitation now. All the "professional' politicians, all sides, don't really want to open some cans of worms. The danger is, in getting rid of Trump, and re-asserting the political "closed-shop" mentality, they might let things out that they can never put back!

Trump, despised or not, loved or not, has certainly changed the political landscape. And not just for the US.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

It's baffles me how Republicans can say that this is ok.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet most do know it's not ok.  Rather, the "fear of being primaried" is overriding any personal desire to do the right thing.

Small - but very vocal parts of their voter base - are screaming at them their support for POTUS.  Those small groups almost certainly will vote in the primaries next year.  Republicans who try to do the right thing fear facing a well-funded primary challenger, and possibly their own personal smear campaign.

(Former) Republican Reps like Justin Amash are very rare. Although public opinion is turning, it's not yet to the point that Republicans feel safe to publicly say the emperor is butt-naked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

For me, the jury is still out...obviously, you and a whole host of Trump haters have made your decision...????

So what is the evidence for trump that has you prevaricating?

We all know evidence against him that gives us a push to guilt.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Isn't it more about Republicans just want to keep their political seat?

And to do that, they whore their reputation out to protecting him.

Very short sighted.

That's true but you're talking about the GOP politicians while I was talking about Trump's base supporters.

Edited by Becker

2 minutes ago, Becker said:
57 minutes ago, neeray said:

Isn't it more about Republicans just want to keep their political seat?

And to do that, they whore their reputation out to protecting him.

Very short sighted.

You're correct but you're talking about the GOP politicians while I was talking about Trump's base supporters.

Hopefully it's a case of preserving the sanctity of POTUS by letting Trump's presidency 'expire' with some degree of grace albeit hoist with his own petard. This is far preferable to any impeachment where the biggest indictment will fall on those who voted for him. Richard Nixon's 11th-hour capitulation and resignation saved the face of thousands who voted for him and the GOP heaved a sigh of relief that was heard on the moon. Unfortunately, I don't consider DJT will ever place 'We the People', the nation and the Constitution above his hubris and clamor for adulation. Faced with this, the current, majority GOP Senate will. for the greater part, be playing devil's advocate.

12 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Hopefully it's a case of preserving the sanctity of POTUS by letting Trump's presidency 'expire' with some degree of grace albeit hoist with his own petard. This is far preferable to any impeachment where the biggest indictment will fall on those who voted for him. Richard Nixon's 11th-hour capitulation and resignation saved the face of thousands who voted for him and the GOP heaved a sigh of relief that was heard on the moon. Unfortunately, I don't consider DJT will ever place 'We the People', the nation and the Constitution above his hubris and clamor for adulation. Faced with this, the current, majority GOP Senate will. for the greater part, be playing devil's advocate.

True, and if he isn't removed from office before the next election I fully expect him to call for an armed revolt if his loss is anything less than a landslide.

He really is that despicable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

since Donald Trump became president.

I agree.

No. The government dysfunction started LONG before Trump. What Trump did was expose the moral rot that is now permeating government (and the Dems are just as guilty) AS WELL as throughout American citizenry. When someone can publicly say on this forum he's happy with starving American children as long as HIS bank account flows and there is no resulting public outcry, we've lost our humanity. I grew up in the 60's and homeless people just didn't happen. Now, we've lost the capacity to care for each other. Trump didn't cause this, he just let it bubble up publicly from the swamp he multiplied.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

My man...same BS from you on every thread...such hypocrisy...do you ever have an original thought?...contribute to TVF through your vast knowledge and experience?  Lurking in the shadows...waiting for your opportunity to pounce on every word of those that think differently from you...does not add to the conversation...and makes you appear a bit shallow...????

Now go whine about how you are being misrepresented...????

Rather beneath your usually misguided arguments. His point was it didn't matter WHAT was inserted, it would still be nonsensical <deleted>. And suggesting he go whine somewhere is borderline trolling. C'mon, you're better than that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, J Town said:

Apples and apples, but different cases. Nail Biden with just as much vehemence, but you can't use the "Biden did it so why can't Trump?" defense.

Not trying to...Biden is hoping to get by without having to answer for his actions as VP...the press and Dem House of Representatives...without some pressure from the Republicans...will simply say it is dirty politics...while playing dirty politics themselves...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Surely "extortion" is when you are demanding money from another party !

No, it's when you're demanding something from somebody, be it money or services, upon pain of  illegitimate retribution f you don't. Keep in mind that services do have monetary value.

Edited by bristolboy
  • Thanks 1