Thailand falls to 74th place in EF English Proficiency Index 2019

webfact

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

In other news, Thailand made huge gains in the Chinese language proficiency index, with even Thai politicians being fluent in such useful phrases as:

- Thank-you dear comrade, yes I'll bend over right here

- I'm sorry that my nose is a little brown

- My hovercraft is full of eels

Why would you even start to teach a third, or fourth language, if they can't figure out how to teach them English as a second language?

IMO, the students' English even got worse in the last years. 

I've never met a student in 15 years who was able to say whole sentences in Chinese. Nihau, maa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

In other news, Thailand made huge gains in the Chinese language proficiency index, with even Thai politicians being fluent in such useful phrases as:

- Thank-you dear comrade, yes I'll bend over right here

- I'm sorry that my nose is a little brown

- My hovercraft is full of eels

My hovercraft is full of eels????????

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

Look and listen to all these Generals and State employees who hold high positions, most of them pointing out that they have high education from the US and England but cannot speak a word English.

One of my uncles retired a few weeks ago.

He was the big boss of health for Udon Thani province .( high civil servant ) 

He has a perfect english 

He married his daughter to a Swede who is a builder of houses in his country there are already quite a few years.
We saw each other a few days ago in Udon Thani;
everyone spoke in English;
his daughter is fluent in English and Swedish.

On the other hand, I know a Thai lady who has been an English teacher all her life; she is now 73 or 74 years old; she continues to speak fluently in English and her English is very good.
But it must be said that these cases are rare.
Generally, as you write, the Thai teachers of English are often unable to construct two sentences in this language without making several mistakes, usually forgetting one or more verbs or a personal pronoun.
In fact they build their sentences in English as they do with their language: Thai.

I would like to know how do the Thai teachers who teach German; it must be quite folkloric ...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

I find it hard to believe you live in BKK. I find English good at even my local 7/11’s. 

I live in N. Bangkok....nobody in my area speaks English.  My thai is quite good so it doesn't bother me.  My house is in an upper middle class moo ban and most of the kids speak quite well, also most adults.  

18 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And will keep dropping while schools would rather pay low salaries to non-native speakers of English.
My neighbour has two sons at a government school whose "English" teacher comes from Camaroon!

They says no-one in the class even the Thai English assistant teacher can understand a word he says.

Nuff said.

Probably comes from the 85% or so of the country where French is the primary language...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Cameroon

Are you sure he's not teaching bastardised French to them? ????

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

followed by the Philippines and Malaysia, which were placed in the high English proficiency group.

Malaysia is where companies will like to look at locating their business.  

Why does it keep going down under the junta? Didn't they declare war on non Thai English teachers.  Met lots of Filipinos teaching in the countryside of Thailand.  Wonder how Thailand fares with Chinese proficiency.  They should learn one or the other. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Malaysia is where companies will like to look at locating their business.  

Why does it keep going down under the junta? Didn't they declare war on non Thai English teachers.  Met lots of Filipinos teaching in the countryside of Thailand.  Wonder how Thailand fares with Chinese proficiency.  They should learn one or the other. 

Not just the countryside, I've met quite a few Filipinos who teach English in Bangkok. They come down to Hua Hin for a weekend at the beach.

• Like 1

If they weren't so xenophobic , and actually did the whole country a favour and allowed skilled foreign teachers who can speak English. Electricians who can teach them how wire up a house that doesn't zap you or plumbers that could teach them what a p & s trap are and how to vent toilets etc. 

But no. Carry on with the blind leading the blind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thailand needs to get it's act together, hire 25,000 foreign, native English speakers, and just suck it up and admit that they have failed miserably, their educational system is hopelessly broken, their kids are not learning much, and they are so far behind the curve, it is astonishing. Man up! Do the right thing! Help your people! For once, do something that actually benefits the common people. 

Also, during my trips to Indonesia, I found the locals spoke far better english than most Thais. 

• Like 2