Thailand's tourism authority is reminding travellers about its smoking ban

webfact

13 hours ago, Tayaout said:

I don't care about smokers but most of them throw their cigarettes butt everywhere. No, burying them under the sand doesn't make them disappear. 

Can you please point out to me the public bins to dispose of anything? I guess public bins would reduce the likelihood of collecting fines for littering.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

Can you please point out to me the public bins to dispose of anything? I guess public bins would reduce the likelihood of collecting fines for littering.

I don't smoke but I keep my trash with me until I can dispose of it. It's annoying in Thailand apparently the garbage bin get stolen. I met people from Singapore and they all have some kind of portable ashtray. I don't really care about hand rolled cigarette butt because they decompose rather quickly but that's not the case with the one with styrofoam. I also dislike aluminum beercap for the same reason and of course everything plastic.

Also cigarette butt can be toxic if eaten by children or animals. 

"Although a typical cigarette contains from 9 mg to 30 mg of nicotine, inhalation through smoking is only about 0.5–2 mg per cigarette. The estimated toxic dose of nicotine in non-addicted adults is 4–8 mg, and the lethal dose after one-time ingestion among children is reported as 40–60 mg.

Cigarette butts have a bitter taste, and thus this may limit the amount of nicotine that is accidentally ingested. However, children often explore their environment through oral contact or through mimicry of adult behaviours.11 In young children, 1–2 mg may be toxic, causing nausea and vomiting in low doses, and more extensive neurological symptoms with higher doses."

https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/20/Suppl_1/i17

Edited by Tayaout

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand is reminding travellers about its smoking ban in public areas, which aims to promote a safe, clean and smoke-free environment for all.

That won't take long this year !

15 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

It's a good thing to have the bans and a good thing that tourists are being warned. 

So many TVF members are in denial about this and mentioning air pollution is not relevant to the arguments about banning cigarette smoke. It's a diversion from those in denial. 

Rooster

So how am I supposed to get my daily Thai bashing fix?I also see many Thais adhering to the ban and making the effort to not inflict their "nasty" habit on others.I wish there was a ban on the all inclusive words like all,everyone,always,never and everywhere without the clarifying words like nearly,almost and sometimes!

• Like 1

I am a smoker, but I fully support the smoking ban on beaches, as long as there are designated smoking areas. Not so much for health reasons, but because it is unsightly to have butts littering the sand. Having said that, I've never, since the ban went into effect, seen a law enforcement official on any beach I've visited.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

If you are living in Thailand or you stay here as a tourist for a couple of days, you know that there are no trash bins.

Did you type this with a straight face?Are you suggesting there is not one trash bin in all of Thailand?What possesses someone to make such an absurd comment?I see bins on nearly every street I go on!

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, nickstav said:

I've never, since the ban went into effect, seen a law enforcement official on any beach I've visited.

You mean complete with vinyl poster boards and a photo of the offender pointing to the offending butt surrounded by medal studded law enforcement officers? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

If you are living in Thailand or you stay here as a tourist for a couple of days, you know that there are no trash bins. Cigarette butts are very small. You can put them in an empty cigarette package or a small portable ashtray wearing with you in your pocket. If everybody argue like you, the streets would be invisible under all kinds of garbage. 

I am a smoker but never let the butt fell down when I finished my cigarette. 

Well said. I strip down the butt and put the filter in my pocket or somewhere else on my person until I can find a receptacle. I've had non-smokers, who've seen me doing this, thank me. It takes very little effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Well said. I strip down the butt and put the filter in my pocket or somewhere else on my person until I can find a receptacle. I've had non-smokers, who've seen me doing this, thank me. It takes very little effort.

I've seen peope from Singapore having portable ashtray like these: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ZJTcZ

Is this really about banning smoking on beaches or is it really about slowly getting rid of those pesky farangs?

Don't worry they will get down to all of us sooner or later.....

Edited by 300sd

7 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

If you are living in Thailand or you stay here as a tourist for a couple of days, you know that there are no trash bins. Cigarette butts are very small. You can put them in an empty cigarette package or a small portable ashtray wearing with you in your pocket. If everybody argue like you, the streets would be invisible under all kinds of garbage. 

Agreed.  I actually buy hard pack (not soft pack) cigarettes and when I do not see a convenient bin I take the cellophane off the bottom of the pack, put the butt inside the cellophane, twist the top and stuff it into the hard pack with the remaining cigarettes.  Hopefully, that method helps to minimize the bad smell from the spent cigarette.

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Is this really about banning smoking on beaches or is it really about slowly getting rid of those pesky farangs?

Don't worry they will get down to all of us sooner or later.....

Well it seems to be about attracting more pesky farang to go to the beach by cleaning up their act and the laws do in fact apply to Thais as well,fancy that!Don't worry they will not get down to any of us sooner or later.You must be suffering under the impression that they are trying to get rid of foreigners.

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Not sure because the new policy is to attract Chinese who smoke and spit everywhere

Yeah. Almost as bad as the French with their honking Gauloise and their morning nose blows. ????

12 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

"Cigarette butts are very small. You can put them in an empty cigarette package or a small portable ashtray wearing with you in your pocket. "

What...by the way...is what most "farang" I know, do, while being on the beach!

Can you guess, who is absolutely and 100% NOT doing that, ever!

Can you?

Caaaaan you?

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Well it seems to be about attracting more pesky farang to go to the beach by cleaning up their act and the laws do in fact apply to Thais as well,fancy that!Don't worry they will not get down to any of us sooner or later.You must be suffering under the impression that they are trying to get rid of foreigners.

Not if they are as good and defending everything Thai, as you are!

Oh ...wait...they will kick you out on whim, too!

On 11/7/2019 at 5:55 AM, Tayaout said:

I don't care about smokers but most of them throw their cigarettes butt everywhere. No, burying them under the sand doesn't make them disappear. 

I am a smoker. But I agree with you on the cigarette butt issue. Don't toss them in the street , the gutter or bury them on the beach. Keep them and dispose of properly. In that respect of course it helps if the authorities provided sufficient bins / receptacles to do this. It's not just Thailand that fails on this. As for the total ban on e cigs and vapers, its ridiculous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I am a smoker. But I agree with you on the cigarette butt issue. Don't toss them in the street , the gutter or bury them on the beach. Keep them and dispose of properly. In that respect of course it helps if the authorities provided sufficient bins / receptacles to do this. It's not just Thailand that fails on this. As for the total ban on e cigs and vapers, its ridiculous.

I used to smoke all my life till I gave up about 6 years ago, but I never smoked at the beach

or in the city, never in a restaurant (when it was still legal) I never smoked in some one else's

house,never ever smoked in my own car, and yes where I live in OZ it is also illegal to smoke 

at the beach or at any venue (like sports) or in the city so it's not much different to Thailand.