Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

Essex pessimism. Last year was a good year for rain, I believe this one will be too because I saw a fire fly last night flitting around the living room. The beers and whisky I had consumed earlier had nothing to do with my scientific observation.

Last year was a good year compared to the years since 2017, but well down on 15 years ago.

I've never seen so many ponds being dug as this dry season. Must be eight or so new ones. The farmers know that they cannot survive if it continues like this. This dry season is the driest I've known since I've been here.

Meanwhile, - back in Dagenham - the Chase (fishing gravel pit) is a metre higher than what I remember it 60 years ago.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Owl mini Log - 06-03-2023 - Monday evening.

Just got back from the farm with Mildred..

Decided to run a one inch pipe from number 5 to number 7. Hopefully this will put a couple of inches in.

Tomorrow, while Mildred is at school, I'll get some water running from one pond to another. (hopefully). She was very concerned with the lack of water this evening in her pond.

Also took the opportunity to trim the tree that is growing where I don't want it to.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 9:32 AM, farmerjo said:

Yes i've got a feeling it will be a year of dribs and drabs,no consistency.,

1st test will be we normally get a decent rain around the 10th of March before then waiting till songkran.

I reckon you are right there FJ. I also recall rain in the second week in March. Maybe its on its way and I'm just moaning for nothing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I reckon you are right there FJ. I also recall rain in the second week in March. Maybe its on its way and I'm just moaning for nothing.

The summer storms will come when it's humid. But in spite of it being the second week of March, it's still cool at night and the daylight sun is not intense. It's hazy without being humid !

Strange days.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Hope you are right Gary. But I don't trust the BBC.

They're rarely Wright though I wasn't aware they had expanded to forecasting Thai weather, presumably during matches in place of the absent  commentators.

'A long ball to Rushford, meanwhile thunderstorms are expected in Udon'.

Not humid enough imo, and when the Meteorological Office here announced the start of the dry season a few days ago, I wanted to weep. There's been one drop of rain since October, that's five months of dry season already!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannork said:

They're rarely Wright though I wasn't aware they had expanded to forecasting Thai weather, presumably during matches in place of the absent  commentators.

'A long ball to Rushford, meanwhile thunderstorms are expected in Udon'.

Not humid enough imo, and when the Meteorological Office here announced the start of the dry season a few days ago, I wanted to weep. There's been one drop of rain since October, that's five months of dry season already!

Yes indeed.

2026128429_BBCweather.png.f4936a38a536fd2a3a666cb26fe5fdc9.png

Shows clouds and everything. But none over our area today.

430943249_BBCweath.png.0be85e19a42c780e518a71b73d0fb4dd.png

They could be wrong of course. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Only trust the BBC for footy results.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Good post Owl. Sorry to hear about the lack of rain. Doesn't seem long ago you had plenty. Everything is a bit topsy turvy - we had the wettest spring and early summer I can remember - had torrents of water flooding past the house damaging the road on a few occasions.

Cats are a problem here. They have to be kept inside for killing the local wildlife. Rarely now you see a  cat at all and if you do it is hiding in the bushes like a criminal or something. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Passport - Marks sending machine was in gear, got passport on Tuesday. So another option for you Owl. Wife's visa is apparently back in Bangkok - should arrive any day. I booked the tickets to UK - that hurt a lot! 2,800 GBP for the 3 of us. A once in a lifetime thing for the wife i think. Daughter will have options when she grows up.

Mangoes - have 5 trees with fruit, but not a lot. Planted one new Mango (grown from seed), No transplanting shock. Meanwhile, M-in-L continues her scorched earth policy in the garden - has weeded my pots, including a Pomelo seedling and many tomato plants. Seems to have developed a pathological hatred of anything green, unless she planted it..... I fear on my return from the UK in May it will be a moonscape! 

That is good news on the PP front. Now I'm thinking that I'll get Mildred's PP first. Mine can wait until later in the year.

Those prices for the airfares are a fiddle. Pity Ryan Air can't do long haul.

I think it's a mistake to diesturb the soil unless there is water. Just killing insects and the like.

31 minutes ago, bannork said:

On the Thai news this morning the weather woman only gave northern Issan a 10% chance of rain. I reckon the Meteorological Office have to err on the side of caution, warning about billboards getting blown down, just in case some do.

Still, all is not lost. Looking at this 10 day forecast for Udon, I see the night minimum temperatures rising to 26 degrees in just over a week. That's when the storms will begin imo. Screenshot_2023-03-12-18-08-17-44_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.thumb.jpg.16d59632c83d6bba61efc337cbbce6a7.jpg

According to the BBC world forecast. There is a 10% chance of rain in Udon province on Thursday night.

Only this afternoon i was noting how poor the sugar was. Everything needs rain desperately.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Good post Owl. Sorry to hear about the lack of rain. Doesn't seem long ago you had plenty. Everything is a bit topsy turvy - we had the wettest spring and early summer I can remember - had torrents of water flooding past the house damaging the road on a few occasions.

Cats are a problem here. They have to be kept inside for killing the local wildlife. Rarely now you see a  cat at all and if you do it is hiding in the bushes like a criminal or something. 

Thanks for the compliment FIATOC.

Weather around the world is changing at quite a rapid pace. Some 'experts' say that it is the sun. Others say it is humans causing the changes. I personally point the finger at Gary Lineker. Or Miss Greta.

Cat numbers in Isaan never really get out of control. The dogs keep them in check.

We had over 30 at the farm at one time. But that was during the time of the 'dog wagon'. That has long been discontinued; hence the acute rise in dog meat at some restaurants. Now the dogs are everywhere, and they roam about - sometimes in small packs - terrorizing cats and squirrels.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

AN have put a 70mb limit on uploads. Could only get one vid on.

Post the other half of the Owl Log later today.

If you have a gmail account, Google gives you 15GB of cloud storage for free.  You can upload your video onto that Google drive using a browser.  When upload is complete you can share the video by creating a link to it and then post the link in a AN message.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

If you have a gmail account, Google gives you 15GB of cloud storage for free.  You can upload your video onto that Google drive using a browser.  When upload is complete you can share the video by creating a link to it and then post the link in a AN message.

Thanks for that bro'.

Interesting way to go.

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

So what happens when you hit 15Gb ?

Do you then delete the older files ?

Or pay for extra storage ?

3 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

So what happens when you hit 15Gb ?

Do you then delete the older files ?

Or pay for extra storage ?

As you approach the limit of your free allotment they will warn you and prompt you to consider paying for more.

You can get more free storage by just creating another free gmail account.  It's up to you to manage your storage and keep track of what's stored where.

There is also an application (for Windows, MacOS, IOS and probably Android) that will let you view and manage the contents of your Google drive.

When using the MacOS application, the files that are stored in the cloud appear to be just regular files stored on a separate drive.  You can still access and manipulate them just like regular files, albeit with a short delay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sotonowl said:

I came across this online Owl and thought of you.

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 20.00.25.png

Don't think that's a realistic sign Owl.

Obviously a disgruntled Iron's fan, who switched allegiance in days past; and regrets it. Now they can see the 'O's back on their way to the very top, while the Irons emotionally suffer from having left their famous old home; The Boleyn Ground (Upton Park).

15 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Don't think that's a realistic sign Owl.

Obviously a disgruntled Iron's fan, who switched allegiance in days past; and regrets it. Now they can see the 'O's back on their way to the very top, while the Irons emotionally suffer from having left their famous old home; The Boleyn Ground (Upton Park).

Sounding a bit disgruntled yourself there Owl !

But, as a Leeds fan i have more than good reason to be disgruntled !!

D89F46BC-E090-4925-B20E-91099817ADD0.jpeg.c3e617dc235eaebf9160bdb01fa3f45b.jpeg

• Like 1

You are not wrong there Andy.

Peacocks could go down for sure. Last season they were in a similar position and escaped. Difficult to call at the bottom of the EPL. Cherries smashed Pool at the w/e. Can they build on that? The Saints keep looking as thought they are dead and burred, only to get the odd result. As for the Irons! Mid-table.

On the upside; it can be an exciting season in the Championship if your club has a decent chance of promotion.

My three to go down; Saints, Peacocks and - wait for it - Toffees!!! To be replaced by Clarets, Boro and Hatters. Gonna be great in the Championship next season; like it is right now.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sounding a bit disgruntled yourself there Owl !

But, as a Leeds fan i have more than good reason to be disgruntled !!

D89F46BC-E090-4925-B20E-91099817ADD0.jpeg.c3e617dc235eaebf9160bdb01fa3f45b.jpeg

Orient well clear. Sending shivers down the spines of the league above's clubs.

67763761_Orienttop.png.f41f5fe7d711e09c388a21a3f0b8068b.png

Interesting to note that 3 of the 4 clubs have graced the 'top flight' in recent times.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1