Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

Yes, have to be careful with that domestic abuse malarkey. My first wife had me arrested for it and the judge asked me "Why do you keep beating your wife?" I told him I thought it was the extra weight coupled with my foot movement, not to mention the reach advantage.

The old ones are the best.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sotonowl said:

Yes, have to be careful with that domestic abuse malarkey. My first wife had me arrested for it and the judge asked me "Why do you keep beating your wife?" I told him I thought it was the extra weight coupled with my foot movement, not to mention the reach advantage.

The old ones are the best.

Indeed HP.

But it's not all whacks and pokes and threats. Mrs Owl does make an exceedingly nice cup of Rosy. Have to take the the rough with the smooth.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

Love your work Owl 👍🏼

That grass herb looks suspiciously like Lemon grass.

Thanks for that HP.

Lemon grass eh! That's what they stuff in fishes mouths to take away the fishy smell.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Owl, you are encouraged to retain your toothypegs nowadays…

Something to do with eating and losing bone density in your jaw.

ps how much did the tooth fairy leave you anyway ? 😃

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Owl, you are encouraged to retain your toothypegs nowadays…

Something to do with eating and losing bone density in your jaw.

ps how much did the tooth fairy leave you anyway ? 😃

Ah yes! Bone density.

As soon as they get a little bit wobbly; they have to come out. Bit like having a broken fingernail. Or an itch. Just have to scratch it. Or stitch up yer own wound.

Tooth fairy is gonna get me a new pocket camera.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2019 at 10:34 AM, owl sees all said:

I've been in Isaan for 12 years and I find it fascinating. Virtually every week there is something that I find of interest or something that surprises me, dismays me and sometimes shocks me.

My wife runs four biggish farms and they too have had their ups and downs recently. This year there has been very little rain and the rice harvest was abysmal. Also, I couldn't fill the ponds up enough to risk putting in fish. I have still got 80% water in two ponds, but I've sacrificed three others to get this.

A neighbor recently killed our farm dog (because it killed one of his chickens) and someone borrowed 10 litres of diesel from the farm house store without telling us. We found out who it was. Of course, he just forgot to tell us; but he would have eventually!

The wife was on the loo and couldn't give rice to the monk the other day. She asked me to give it. No problem! But I didn't get on my knees; just called him over and tipped it into his pot. I got the 'thank you' verse all the same. Later, when the wife found out that I'd not even bowed my head she was not best amused. "You must not be higher than monk," said she.

But, there are lovely things aplenty in the village. Dancing and laughter and Lao Khao drinking. Somone had had a bit of good fortune on the lottery.

I'll try to update the thread a couple of times a week. Shortly I'm off to Nong Khai to get some grow bags for my avocado trees that I've grown from seed and will soon need potting. I'll put in some pics as I go.

OOPs -Sorry. This was a reply to your first post on this thread. Need to get to sleep.

Dog bit is funny.  A few months back they wanted 40k baht for a prize fighting rooster they claimed our dog killed.  Our dog does and has killed many chickens that get on our property but this was a kilometer away! They were too embarrassed to make the claim to me and went to the village head.  He just laughed and basically told them they were reaching and sorry for their loss.  

As for the monk's, I was running fast past one today that he  shouted at me.  Am I supposed to stop and get to my knees when passing?  Maybe he was just having fun with me.  A couple in the area are drinkers which is odd but think that is rare.

Most people here are cool but a few don't like me for some reason.  Only a few and I have never said more than a few words to them. Makes me wonder but I get over it quick enough.

Enjoy your posts.

Edited by atpeace
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, sotonowl said:

Yes, that's right. There's only 2 things smell of fish. And one of them's fish.

As that great English philosopher Roy Chubby Brown once put it; ''what did fish smell like before women went into the sea?''

Edited by owl sees all
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, atpeace said:

OOPs -Sorry. This was a reply to your first post on this thread. Need to get to sleep.

Dog bit is funny.  A few months back they wanted 40k baht for a prize fighting rooster they claimed our dog killed.  Our dog does and has killed many chickens that get on our property but this was a kilometer away! They were too embarrassed to make the claim to me and went to the village head.  He just laughed and basically told them they were reaching and sorry for their loss.  

As for the monk's, I was running fast past one today that he  shouted at me.  Am I supposed to stop and get to my knees when passing?  Maybe he was just having fun with me.  A couple in the area are drinkers which is odd but think that is rare.

Most people here are cool but a few don't like me for some reason.  Only a few and I have never said more than a few words to them. Makes me wonder but I get over it quick enough.

Enjoy your posts.

Thanks for that At peace.

Chickens are probably better though of than dogs up here. We paid a farmer 300 baht cause a dog on the farm killed his duck. And as you read, back in 2019, our neighbor put our dog down because it killed his chicken. Humanly, with a hoe I should add.

As for the monks; I just keep away from them as best I can.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Love your work Owl 👍🏼

That grass herb looks suspiciously like Lemon grass.

Over here in Kalasin, I have seen many people use lemon grass instead of vetiver grass to stop soil/land erosion. Probably because it is cheaper and easier to source. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Mozzie sprayers came round this morning. Stayed inside for half an hour. Deadly stuff. Get a lungful and you could be brown bread before long.

Were they doing the fogging? I pity those guys as it must knock years off their lives breathing in that smoke every day with just a paper mask to protect them.

Probably the equivalent of a 40-a-day cigarette habit (or worse).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Were they doing the fogging? I pity those guys as it must knock years off their lives breathing in that smoke every day with just a paper mask to protect them.

Probably the equivalent of a 40-a-day cigarette habit (or worse).

They were indeed.

Tried to find out what chemical they use in the process. A farang friend here said it was DDT. TBH, I don't know. Just keep the family away when the lads are active.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

They were indeed.

Tried to find out what chemical they use in the process. A farang friend here said it was DDT. TBH, I don't know. Just keep the family away when the lads are active.

I think that DDT is prohibited in Thailand, but I'm sure that the "fogging" chemical (whatever it is) is not good for one's health. Like you, I make sure that we all stay away from the smoke - pets too.

• Like 1