Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

This is one I had at my fav Thai restaurant in Essex. Their food is as good as anything I’ve had. 

The chef is from Chiangmai and everyone there are Thais including the owner. I’ve become good friends with them all. Lovely people. 

Tasty Phad kapow but about 10 times the price ????

AD2866FB-51CC-4F64-BF69-402F4933D592.jpeg

That egg don't look right. And diet coke?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

This khrapao khai , khai daw , does not inspire confidence in me;

A shrimp and two weird pieces of chicken ...
Why can't they keep it simple like in Thailand?

as for the coca light it is precisely in case of diarrhea because of this bizarre chicken

8 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

I know all about the KITCHEN, i walk through every Day on my way to the GARAGE.!

I had 5 sisters and 4 daughters with my first wife. They told me in their special ways to vacate the kitchen and stop making it untidy. I would object; but what could I do?

The present good lady can stand up straight in the sink area of the kitchen; I can't. Best I keep away.

At school the lads did woodwork and metalwork. The girls did domestic science.

Just now, owl sees all said:

A little controversial, but he has a lot of followers on social media. Some might call him the 'David Icke' of the good eating world.

Never heard of this good doctor ..
On the other hand when I assiduously frequented Vietnam, years 90/96, I had heard of another "good doctor", a Japanese who advocated drinking his own <deleted> from waking up ...

All tastes are in nature :w00t:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have a complaint about this thread !!

( at least I think it was mentioned on here ???? )

Someone stated that a “ Tookay “ only calls 4 or 5 times.

As i have a resident Tookay in an adjoining tree I regularly hear him calling but now have got into the habit of stopping what i am doing and counting the calls !! ( so far all 5’s with the occasional 4 ), i can’t stop !!

Where is your complaint, i hear you say ?

Well, yesterday, the gf and myself were in the bathroom together when the Tookay started its chorus, unfortunately the gf was in the middle of some enthralling tale about her sister or something ( not really sure what she was talking about ! ) and i made the unfortunate decision to shush her abruptly so I could count the Tookay’s calls..........

Yup, it went down like a lead balloon and despite my attempts to get back in the good books there is still an atmosphere you could cut with a knife !!

A little bit of advice for you guys, if you mess up and want to redeem yourself using the phrase “ but Teerak the guys on TVF said “ it is not going to cut it, try flowers......or gold !!

I often count 7 or 8 from our resident Tookay...................... a friend's wife is convinced that only 5 calls indicate imminent death (to family or friend)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Looks like the pan was too hot. Most of the eggs I ate in restaurants in LOS looked like that.

If the diet Coke has aspartame in it one is not doing one's self any favours. Very bad stuff.

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Never heard of this good doctor ..
On the other hand when I assiduously frequented Vietnam, years 90/96, I had heard of another "good doctor", a Japanese who advocated drinking his own <deleted> from waking up ...

All tastes are in nature :w00t:

Urine doesn't make one sick, unless it's contaminated, as long as it's fresh. A litre of olive oil probably would.

As urine is mainly water, it could keep one alive if without a fresh water supply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Looks like the pan was too hot. Most of the eggs I ate in restaurants in LOS looked like that.

If the diet Coke has aspartame in it one is not doing one's self any favours. Very bad stuff.

Mc Donald's became rich because of food like looked that.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Yeah the egg was blitzed a bit. 

I only drink Diet Coke, I will take the risk of the sweetener against the sugar. Personal choice. 

8 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I had 5 sisters and 4 daughters with my first wife. They told me in their special ways to vacate the kitchen and stop making it untidy. I would object; but what could I do?

The present good lady can stand up straight in the sink area of the kitchen; I can't. Best I keep away.

At school the lads did woodwork and metalwork. The girls did domestic science.

Domestic Science?

It was called Home Economics in my school, and was in a place none of us boys ever ventured in the whole time I was there. In fact, boys and girls were separated at break time into two different playgrounds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

This khrapao khai , khai daw , does not inspire confidence in me;

A shrimp and two weird pieces of chicken ...
Why can't they keep it simple like in Thailand?

as for the coca light it is precisely in case of diarrhea because of this bizarre chicken

+1

Every Phad Krapow Gai  that I have eaten has been made with finely chopped, or minced  chicken. Never had prawns  in  it either.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 8:26 PM, phetphet said:

Domestic Science?

It was called Home Economics in my school, and was in a place none of us boys ever ventured in the whole time I was there. In fact, boys and girls were separated at break time into two different playgrounds.

I went to a boys secondary school so missed much that those in co ed had. However the urban legend had it that few girls over 14 had not had it off behind the bike sheds.

I did attend a co ed primary school and while we were not segregated, no boy would have associated with girls. We played bull rush and the girls formed a group and sang Tom Dooley.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I went to a boys secondary school so missed much that those in co ed had. However the urban legend had it that few girls over 14 had not had it off behind the bike sheds.

I did attend a co ed primary school and while we were not segregated, no boy would have associated with girls. We played bull rush and the girls formed a group and sang Tom Dooley.

Our favourite game in the playground was 'hi-jimmy-knacker'. Girls could not play. Boys only.

The girls would play 'ring-a-ring-a-roses' and hopscotch.

Edited by owl sees all

33 minutes ago, terry Meltham said:

What the hell is Hi-jimmy-nacker?

A game where two teams of up to about 10 lads, would take it in turns to jump, or rather leap-frog, on the other team's backs. There would be other boys used as cushions too; although they might not be on either team.

Could be a bit 'hairy' at times. Some kids hurt their backs. A lot of chanting as well.

The earliest recall of the game I've found was 1740, played in the London's East End.

Can't imagine that it's played now. Thai lads would like it.

I think the name came for the leap-froggers who could often hurt their testes.

On 5/9/2020 at 3:21 AM, owl sees all said:

And what's better when you get out than a hose down with,,,,, well, pond water.

If water situation is so serious, shouldn't they be saving the used water for the plants. Stand in one of those bath things they use for making concrete.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 3:21 AM, owl sees all said:

No rain, so I decided to wait no longer and pump some water from number 4 to number 5. I'll do a couple more inches at the w/e.

Are you able to siphon the water from one pond to the other? Save on electricity. I used to do that to fill the fish pond by the house from the swamp, when things were very dry.

• Like 1