Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

On 5/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, owl sees all said:

Owl Log - 08-05-2020

Been a frustrating week. Everything seemed to be breaking. First the pick-up was giving prob's. Turned out to be a seized air con compressor motor. A local man hes opened a shop and reports have been good. Let him have it for three days. Got it back today. 10,500 Baht. While the jalopy was in the shop one of our house fans stopped. Fixed that (yea). Then the wife's TV-watching chair collapsed. Wired the rear cross-member, back in place. That'll do! Seemed to please her. I'll do the front-member; if I can find it. 

Tried to fix the portable a/c. Took it apart. Plenty of wires to see. Thought I'd by-pass everything and when it was plugged in just the fan would work. On the scrap heap now, waiting for the junk man. But, not to be defeated, I tried to get the mozzie-exterminator going. Should get something

decent when Chai Steptoe arrives in the village.

884160736_carpacio01.jpg.2c332ef84c348419ba450b00db2e9dec.jpg

164042013_carpacio02.jpg.33725e5261ca6bbbe27aa2f4df992686.jpg

One of the little lads (Neil) brought me his bike to fix. Dear me!I Only put new tyres and pedals on it a couple of weeks back. Now the brakes are hanging off and the handlebars are well loose. I'll have a look tomorrow.

%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%

No rain, so I decided to wait no longer and pump some water from number 4 to number 5. I'll do a couple more inches at the w/e.

1449606938_pumpwafer01.jpg.e2d48ea289763917f43c6f04496f7727.jpg

^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%

The children were out in force at the farm on Wednesday. TBH I wasn't happy with them in pond 5. They made it very muddy and I'm sure the fishes were not best pleased,

390768551_pond5swim01.jpg.ce335350db8c2a6d15153c759b64d35e.jpg

999709665_pond5swim02.jpg.c8b593c90bdc8e974dd7a504fd8b6acf.jpg

Your time will come Poom. Be patient!

1500590273_watching01.jpg.a8cee5ab7baed80c3a8b049e680ce4b6.jpg

And what's better when you get out than a hose down with,,,,, well, pond water.

568483597_hozedown.jpg.03f04a2aab03b87395e71270c364ad34.jpg

%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%^%

Some of the children find the pink catfish fascinating.

catfishing.jpg.1114c667014e1c90002820ed2ebfba56.jpg

Action man just wants action!

At the farm this evening we moved to pond 4 for the frivolities. I banned them from pond 5.

111133865_pond4swim03.jpg.91d7ceb3c9408e4e598c412523f119fe.jpg

1515470122_pond4swim04.jpg.7b73cd0b8e92853e8f7f7850ec0c8a8b.jpg

They spotted me taking a snap or two.

1103029479_pond4swim01.jpg.3526b2658662c36f788bdbc1249fd93a.jpg

The village super highway is still moving ahead. I'm not impressed with the way they leave it for days.

1700120796_road01.jpg.2fa3c5e3ff69e9004f47a91c024cb505.jpg

Just downright dangerous for the children. I've told the 'cross-road gang' to be careful. The 'end of the road crew' don't listen though. Those spikes could rip open a kid's leg.

Dangerous.jpg.d8a84d73f20ba6b50cd4c520e010b912.jpg

Had some hot days recently. Inadvertently locked Charkie in the house this afternoon. Found her in the corner of the bathroom when we returned from the farm. She must have been cursing me.

A dry storm again last night. According to all the charts; this month (May) should see 15-17 wet days, with 300mm of rain falling. So far we have had zero days rain. It's getting serious!

Mrs Owl made me a nice cuppa earlier. Is she beginning to see the error in her ways? I wonder. Might find out tonight.

Bye y'all.

The village super highway is still moving ahead. I'm not impressed with the way they leave it for days.

this happens in bangkok all the time with road and pavement renewals and small construction work, they'll move in rip everything up then disappear for a while usually leaving an unsightly and unsafe mess. then return do a bit of work then clear off again, for what can be weeks, before returning and repeating. not only does this have a negative effect on the local living environment but it's an ineffective and inefficient way of working as they are continually moving and removing men and machinery around.

i'm sure there are reasons for it as it's so common it can't just be disorganised contractors, i suspect either they take on too many jobs and dont have the resources so try to keep them all going or the longer a job takes the more they get paid... or likely some form of corruption makes it worthwhile to work in this way...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've thought along similar lines myself. Two posters in particular - that I've chatted with on messenger - have simply dropped out of sight.

With that thought in mind I'm gonna put a telephone number on my profile. If I'm not posting, for a while, and there is no response on TVForum messenger. Give the Mrs a call, or a text, please.

Yes, I’ve been in a few forum where people have just vanished, sometimes people who I thought I knew well, they all have their reasons, but in situations like this, it’s nice to be able to say goodbye. 
Keep away from your bloody ladder for a few days please Owl...

• Like 2

I know life goes on and all that but I can't help but think Michaels passing needs marking in some way and seeing I'm not in the immediate area and Michael was a keen cyclist and young Neils bike looks a bit worse for wear, what can we (if anything) as a group do to remedy the situation with the young uns bike.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, owl sees all said:

The two upper ponds are in a desperate state. In fact number 7 is just a shallow water grave.

I hope you have considered digging them deeper while dry. The more you can store during the rain, obviously the better. Perhaps a construction company will do it for you if they can keep the dirt.

I think it is the Chinese that have the same written symbol for crisis and opportunity.

Thinking on the evaporation, for ponds without fish, you could spread plastic sheeting to stop evaporation. Stop it sinking by using empty drink bottles as floats. Would be cheap enough. Could use black plastic if no fish, as it would get very hot.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:16 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

just the thought of what will become of my “ stuff” when i’m gone saddens me .

Personally, I have never clung on the material things but I do understand that it must have been a difficult task clearing out your former home.

I cherish nothing. I came to Thailand with a suit case and my golf clubs..... the latter only used about 20 times and now gathering dust. On Facebook former school friends are making nostalgic posts of vinyl singles and albums - I have none, gone in divorces or house moves. 

Worrying, or feeling saddened, about what will happen to chattels after your death is an unnecessary concern which should not be allowed to detract from enjoying your life. 

We come into this world with nothing and we leave it with nothing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

It wont happen.but my greatest wish would be  to depart leaving a Bank with a massive debt.They give folks an Umbrella on a Sunny Day, take it back when it  Rains.

Something of a diversion, but when I moved to London end of last century all the banks etc were trying to lend unsecured money. I was tempted to borrow as much as possible and depart to live in LOS and never return to the UK ( dual citizenship ). Never got to the point of actually doing it though.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Something of a diversion, but when I moved to London end of last century all the banks etc were trying to lend unsecured money. I was tempted to borrow as much as possible and depart to live in LOS and never return to the UK ( dual citizenship ). Never got to the point of actually doing it though.

And if you did it, your credit rating is wiped clear after seven years.

It's a financial matter, not a criminal offence. The bank offered you the credit, you accepted.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:24 PM, bluesofa said:

And if you did it, your credit rating is wiped clear after seven years.

It's a financial matter, not a criminal offence. The bank offered you the credit, you accepted.

The etc was from other than banks. I have no doubt that if one didn't pay that money back with interest some very large men would have shown up to show one the error of their ways.

Good luck finding me in LOS had I actually done it.

In the end, I'm basically honest and would have felt very guilty forever, so I left it in fantasy.

I cashed some Sterling traveler's cheques in a Lamphun bank and they must have pushed the wrong button on the computer as they were going to give me over a million baht. I did consider taking it but I was just too honest to follow through.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

And a nasty spike sticking up in the middle to catch the unwary traveler; be they in a pick-up, on motor bike or a cycle. I've told the Mrs to report the danger to the village boss. Don't suppose she will.

I'd just take a hammer along and bang it down myself. Take about 10 seconds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd just take a hammer along and bang it down myself. Take about 10 seconds.

In a strange coincidence I was reading a thread in a FB community group from my old hometown back in the uk about a similar problem.

This rebar was in the centre of a path leading to a canal towpath:

1200239E-5161-4D78-B59C-50BD25EC0179.jpeg.9524537f0f36fa39b7a4417dd95b6950.jpeg

The thread rambled on about contacting the local council and then, as is the way, how badly the local council is at reacting to Covid19 related problems and any problem in particular !!

As you can see that rebar is an accident waiting to happen for the joggers and cyclists , even someone walking could get a nasty injury if they caught it wrong.

TBL’s answer is the best solution.

Get yourself down there Owl with the lump hammer you don’t want this on your conscience if someone gets hurt. !!

I will go back on FB and suggest the same but imagine the uproar !!

” You need to cordon off the area before any manual work takes place “

” Warning signs and safety glasses need to be used “

” have you considered others while “ wielding “ your lump hammer ?? “

etc etc

• Like 2