Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unless I missed it, what happened to the bit of steel sticking up?

I was going to do as you suggested TBL. However the contractors were removing the formwork. In the afternoon the end section (stopend) that had the spike, had gone.

All finished now.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2020 at 12:35 PM, owl sees all said:

I was going to do as you suggested TBL. However the contractors were removing the formwork. In the afternoon the end section (stopend) that had the spike, had gone.

All finished now.

If only relationships were as easily sorted................................

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes!

Our cat 'Girly' has gone missing. Not seen her for a couple of days.

Hope she turns up Owl.

i live in a moobahn and there’s a few cats who always like to hang around our house. They do like to khrap in our garden which

I’ve often  thought it a little strange as we never feed them, until......

1A0650DE-ACE1-4188-B539-28F19079AE2C.thumb.jpeg.9528aac8d127a884d7a332b39f1ffb92.jpeg

I discovered that the nosy neighbour at the back is putting food and water out for the cats but stretching her hand through the gap to put on our side of the divide ??

I told the gf and she immediately called to the neighbour and told her she wasn’t happy , which is great, although I did here the name “ falang ” used a couple of times !!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Hope she turns up Owl.

i live in a moobahn and there’s a few cats who always like to hang around our house. They do like to khrap in our garden which

I’ve often  thought it a little strange as we never feed them, until......

1A0650DE-ACE1-4188-B539-28F19079AE2C.thumb.jpeg.9528aac8d127a884d7a332b39f1ffb92.jpeg

I discovered that the nosy neighbour at the back is putting food and water out for the cats but stretching her hand through the gap to put on our side of the divide ??

I told the gf and she immediately called to the neighbour and told her she wasn’t happy , which is great, although I did here the name “ falang ” used a couple of times !!

Not been a happy month. What with the terrible news of AT. The kois and now Girly going missing; I reckon she might have had an argument with one of the many dogs. She was a very small cat. A grey tabby.

The cat in the pic looks like our other house-cat 'Charkie'.

SN850271.thumb.JPG.8861f34f7a03cca15f4e000010e2826b.JPG

Been with us for 10 years now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I do hope that you got some of the rain Owl ?

Apparently mums place got a good dump, this time I have photographic evidence not hearsay... ????

8E85C875-60B3-4996-B685-B5504E53E349.jpeg

We got a fair bit. Three nights on the spin. None during the day though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Bought four burghers at 7/11 for a snack. One for each of us (me, Mrs Owl, Milly and Boyz). Absolutely horrid!!

IMO one buys things like hot dogs and burgers at 7/ll because they are ready to eat, and fill the hole rather than because they are nice to eat. Same as any fast food, though Maccers must, IMO, put some sort of chemical in them to make people go there in preference to a decent food place when they have the time. It's not even as if they are cheap, which they ain't.

Having said that I used to enjoy the hot dogs in Dairy Queen, but they stopped selling them long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO one buys things like hot dogs and burgers at 7/ll because they are ready to eat, and fill the hole rather than because they are nice to eat. Same as any fast food, though Maccers must, IMO, put some sort of chemical in them to make people go there in preference to a decent food place when they have the time. It's not even as if they are cheap, which they ain't.

Having said that I used to enjoy the hot dogs in Dairy Queen, but they stopped selling them long ago.

I agree TBL. Fast food is just that. Fills the hole as you say.

There was a fast food place on the North Circular Road (London) near Spurs FC. It was called 'Hamburger Halt' and was on the anti-clockwise side. Their food was not bad at all. Then one day, right out of the blue, it was gone.

I've not been to a McDonalds in Thailand. I know there is one in Udon; and Khon Kaen. Don't know any others.

46 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I've not been to a McDonalds in Thailand. I know there is one in Udon; and Khon Kaen. Don't know any other

Don't bother. Way too expensive in comparison to restaurants that sell proper food. In the west they are places to go for food in a hurry, but strangely Thais seem to think they are upmarket places. A horrid cheeseburger with no salad costs as much as a proper rice dish in a cheap restaurant. In malls I'd always use the food court rather than Maccers or KFC etc. Better and cheaper food. In NZ food courts are where people go to have a choice of all the fast food chains- I really miss LOS food courts. As for restaurants here, I'd never even bother. If you think under 200 baht is too expensive you'd have a coronary at restaurant prices here.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 10:30 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you able to siphon the water from one pond to the other? Save on electricity. I used to do that to fill the fish pond by the house from the swamp, when things were very dry.

I did a lot of siphoning one particular year. Can't recall what one; or why.

Used the black 2 inch pipes.

SN852791.thumb.JPG.2efd6a6258ca1d7c714bf449b67eb631.JPG

Was putting it into the bucket to disperse the water. Think I must have done it previously, left it overnight, and washed half the bank away.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 3:02 AM, owl sees all said:

A terrible pic' that. I'll post better another time.

Reminded me of when our hamster had babies. It was so nice seeing them grow up. Sadly, hamsters won't live together once get old enough, so have to be put in separate cages. It was too hard on my wife when they died so we never got more ( I gave the breeding pair to the hamster man at the night market ).

Then set the fire to burn all the euca plastic and old, broken irrigation pipes.

Mistake putting that on here. The eco warriors will be on your case.

Can't even crack a funny!

In my experience Thai women don't have a western sense of humour and visa versa. One GF I had used to laugh hysterically at those stupid comedy shows on tv involving fake ladyboys and such like. I just didn't get the humour at all. Having said that US and British humour is completely different too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Reminded me of when our hamster had babies. It was so nice seeing them grow up. Sadly, hamsters won't live together once get old enough, so have to be put in separate cages. It was too hard on my wife when they died so we never got more ( I gave the breeding pair to the hamster man at the night market ).

Mistake putting that on here. The eco warriors will be on your case.

In my experience Thai women don't have a western sense of humour and visa versa. One GF I had used to laugh hysterically at those stupid comedy shows on tv involving fake ladyboys and such like. I just didn't get the humour at all. Having said that US and British humour is completely different too.

Please tell me that you named at least one of those Hamsters “Basil” ????

And yes, I was a little saddened to read of Owls attempted burn off, glad he failed... ???? I guess the planting army probably tore most of the bags otherwise they could have been returned to the supplier and reused.

US humour...? Unheard of since the days of “Get Smart” unless you’re counting potus...

Owl, what is your intention for the eucas ? And at what size/timeframe do you expect to harvest ?

• Like 2

There was me saying (a few posts back) that I had extensive pics of Som's house when he decided to lift it up one metre, and I could only find one. 

Windows 10 will not let me open one of my memory sticks where all the others must be stored.

2079793413_Lifthouse.thumb.JPG.8adb9951507f8493b014b4e822aa8020.JPG

This was a popular scene around the villages when I first got to Isaan. Haven't seen a house lifted for at least five years.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I agree about the Thai women. I also can't see the funnyness in some of their shows. I was at a show a couple of years back and the joke that got the most laughs was about a ladyboy who thought he would go to Bangkok. But finished up in Ban Dung (local town).

Yes! The American's (although not sure about Canadians) is different.

A great story of Tommy Cooper when he went to the US to perform. His English agent and the American promoter were in the wings watching Tommy perform on stage. After a few minutes the promoter said to Tommy's agent, "Mr Cooper's tricks don't seem to be working."

{snipped}

I know where you're coming from regarding the promoter's comment, and the difference between UK/US humour (for the hard-of-learning: humor).

To be fair, I suppose if the promoter was seeing Tommy Cooper for the first time, I can see why he was confused.

Hmm, I wonder why that's your favourite English sketch, ha ha!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

I was a little saddened to read of Owls attempted burn off, glad he failed... ???? I guess the planting army probably tore most of the bags otherwise they could have been returned to the supplier and reused.

Owl, what is your intention for the eucas ? And at what size/time-frame do you expect to harvest?

Thanks for that HP.

What to do with bags and bags of plastic bags!? It's a dilemma. I was considering buying one of those machines that compress everything down - in my case with over 10k bags - to a lump the size of a house brick. Then, afterwards, I could hire the machine out to the local Thais who wanted to clean up their farms. After thinking about it for absolutely ages, I decided against it. So I attempted the burn instead.

I watched one lady removing the euca from the bag. She rolled it in her hand for a couple of seconds, and the root-ball just lifted out without damaging the little plastic sleeve. Now you have pointed it out to be about reusing them HP, I wish I'd told all the girls to do the same. I could then, have simply turned them inside out, washed them, and, they would be ready to go again.

The time frame is pretty much dependent upon the prices. Not being a seasonal crop, they can wait and wait until the time is right. The plan is to cut about 25%, each year, after 4 years. That way there is an income each year. If this thread is still going it will be interesting to do a time-frame with the pics taken at about 3 month intervals. However Mrs Owl threatened me with an ugly death last night; so who can tell!? She seemed much happier this morning though. Got a nice cup of Rosy with some sugar and not salt. Things are looking good!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Hmm, I wonder why that's your favourite English sketch, ha ha!

Our little secret bluesofa. Maybe because I could have been an Olympic champion if I'd been able to get my timing right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

{snipped}

However Mrs Owl threatened me with an ugly death last night; so who can tell!? She seemed much happier this morning though. Got a nice cup of Rosy with some sugar and not salt. Things are looking good!

I didn't realise sodium chlorate tasted sweet?

• Haha 1