Diary of a farang in Isaan

owl sees all

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If water situation is so serious, shouldn't they be saving the used water for the plants. Stand in one of those bath things they use for making concrete.

I've told the Mrs to hose down the kids under the palm trees. She never listens to me. Good for you to point that out TBL. I'll have another word.

@thaibeachlovers: "Are you able to siphon the water from one pond to the other? Save on electricity. I used to do that to fill the fish pond by the house from the swamp, when things were very dry."

The ponds, seven to one, go down a gradual slope. Number seven, the highest, is now completely dry. Number six, the tree pond, has a big puddle at the deep end. I was siphoning from those two much earlier, but I'm going uphill now, from four to five. And it might be three to five soon.

Another dry storm last night. Knocked out the lecky for a while.

Edited by owl sees all
inserted @thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, owl sees all said:

The girls would play 'ring-a-ring-a-roses' 

Waiting for a Covid19 update to this seemingly innocent, but truly sinister nursery rhyme.

Ring-a-ring o' roses,

A pocket full of posies,

A-tishoo!  A-tishoo!

We all fall down.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Waiting for a Covid19 update to this seemingly innocent, but truly sinister nursery rhyme.

Ring-a-ring o' roses,

A pocket full of posies,

A-tishoo!  A-tishoo!

We all fall down.

Absolutely. These rhymes will last forever. A warning to the 'modern' world. "And, I turned 'round and said." A common phrase used in England. Again linked to the plague.

Also 'Oranges and lemons'. And the seemingly innocent ' Mary, Mary'. Should teach that one in Saudi nurseries.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Absolutely. These rhymes will last forever. A warning to the 'modern' world. "And, I turned 'round and said." A common phrase used in England. Again linked to the plague.

Also 'Oranges and lemons'. And the seemingly innocent ' Mary, Mary'. Should teach that one in Saudi nurseries.

My wife's niece has been watching nursery rhymes on my wife's iPad. She is learning to sing them, but at three years-old doesn't understand any of the English words, although she can sing some of the lines.

I looked up Baa Baa Black Sheep. Turns out the earliest version is from 1731.

It's suspected it may have originated from the Middle Ages as a complaint about taxing the wool trade.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baa%2C_Baa%2C_Black_Sheep  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I though I'd dismissed the mozzie killer to soon. Thought I should be able to fix it. Got it out of the scrap heap and had a second look. Bloody rubbish thing. I'd worked out that in the two weeks it had been working, it had exterminated 13 mosquitoes. Cost new; 650 Baht, so 50 Baht a kill.

I had a couple of those things, best brand and expensive- didn't work even when the light was working. A proper mossie trap uses CO2 to attract the blighters ( mossies are attracted to us by the CO2 we give off through the skin ).

Pond 6 had a few hundred fishes die.

Your cats will be happy. Are you sun drying them for future cat food?

Been taking a group to the farm virtually every day for a while now.

Ooh, a rebel, aren't you! If you don't get that PM me.

The boys joined them and it seemed playtime as usual.

Perhaps Mrs Owl is more worried about boys being boys than the cleanliness of the water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Why don't you just pump a water into that pond?

Why not AAA?

Well the thinking is this. The wet season is here and although the rain has not yet come; it will eventually. The pond with the fish loses about one cm a day due to evaporation. I can compensate this loss with an hour's pumping from another pond. I don't need to fill it up; just look after the fish. The small irrigation pump is enough for this. I have two others; one a 50 m3 per hour output (pho) capacity and one 200 m3, pho (run off the Kabota). No need to use those.

ponds01.jpg.76cd809e81b5f25b241dfbedaf48f403.jpg

Soon they will all have water, and this year I plan to capture the farm run off, during really heavy rain, straight to a pond. The last time all the ponds were full to the brim was three years ago. Last season's rain, and the one before, were below average and this year's rain has been virtually non-existent. So the average depth has gradually gotton less and less.

It's a case of compensating as we go. Actually I left it a bit late. This pumping should have started 2/3 weeks ago. Shame on me. But in my defence I was thinking the rain will arrive at any mo', as the historic stats would show it should have.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I had a couple of those things, best brand and expensive- didn't work even when the light was working. A proper mossie trap uses CO2 to attract the blighters ( mossies are attracted to us by the CO2 we give off through the skin ).

Your cats will be happy. Are you sun drying them for future cat food?

Ooh, a rebel, aren't you! If you don't get that PM me.

Perhaps Mrs Owl is more worried about boys being boys than the cleanliness of the water.

Mozzie zapper!! Waste of money. I agree with you TBL.

Cats had to go. The last one was killed by the Buddha dog pack in front of Milly. Just too upsetting.

I don't get it but C-19 is different up here. Life goes on as usual.

You are probably right there. Too many children sharing the same little tubs. Was never going to work.

Our 4 Industrial zappers did work superbly well.They filled the 4 bags in our Piggery every night for years, and gave the Fish a feeding frenzy every morn. Dont recall how much they cost apart from being very expensive for a half Hp Motor with a fan and tube stuck underneath.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, owl sees all said:

The pond with the fish loses about one cm a day due to evaporation.

If can afford easily solved. Clear plastic sheeting supported by bent rigid plastic water pipe. Water that evaporates condenses on the sheeting and runs back into the pond. Just for the pond with fish. Like the plastic greenhouses that are quite common these days. If not windy, leave the ends open to prevent getting too hot inside, and must be clear as black would make it like an oven.

I bet you have every finger and toe crossed for rain.

• Like 1