Those in possession of banned farm chemicals must report to authorities between December 1st and 15th

webfact

Those in possession of banned farm chemicals must report to authorities between December 1st and 15th

IMG_6148.jpg

Any farmer, trader or importer who is in possession of Paraquat, Glyphosate or Chlorpyrifos is required to report to the Plant and Farm Materials Control Office of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration or the agricultural research and development offices in the provinces between December 1st and 15th.

The requirement also applies to derivatives of these chemicals, such as Glyphosate-sodium, Glyphosate-potassium, Glyphosate-isopropylammonium, Glyphosate trimesium and Paraquat dichloride.

The legal requirement, which was announced yesterday by the Department of Agriculture, is in line with the ban, due to take effect on December 1st, on the possession, use, trading or importation of the hazardous farm chemicals, imposed by Thailand’s National Hazardous Substances Committee.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/those-in-possession-of-banned-farm-chemicals-must-report-to-authorities-between-december-1st-and-15th/

thaipbs.jpg

Rules for handling hazardous substances posted in Government Gazette

By The Nation

800_e75b6e78416efcb.jpg?v=1574140475

The government gazette official website announced on November 18 the order by the Department of Agriculture (DOA) concerning the procedures for handling hazardous substances type 4, the responsibility for which falls under DOA according to Articles 41, 43 and 52 of the Hazardous Substance Act B.E. 2535 (1992), amended in 2008.

In accordance with the order, paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos are now considered hazardous substances. The order will officially come into effect on December 1 and anyone who has any of the substances in his/her possession must inform the DOA within 15 days.

The DOA has surveyed the remaining quantity of the substances from retailers, providers, producers and imaxporters and found that as of November 12, 38,855 tonnes of the substances remained, the Department’s director-general Sermsuk Salakphet said.

The three hazardous substances, which have been handed over to the DOA, are prohibited from December 1 although limited quantities can be sold to farmers until that date.

The cost of the elimination of these substances was raised during a meeting held by the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and DOA reported that in 2018, Akkhie Prakarn was hired to dispose of illegally imported chemical substances for Bt100,000 a ton.

DOA has asked the Pollution Control Department and the Department of Industrial Works which are directly responsible for chemical substance disposal to consider the regulation and methods.

Until now, the Department hasn’t received any response nor put forward any private company to handle the disposal.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378497

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-19

Also in the news.... Any one who rides on a motorcycle with out a helmet has 15 days to report their offence...

If I was a farmer I would be doubling down on stocking up on all the banned chemicals I could....Brother I would have these chemicals stacked to the rafters in my barn....I would be good to go for years to come..... 

Another stupid statement ! In accordance with the order, paraquat, glyphosate and chlorpyrifos are now considered hazardous substances. The order will officially come into effect on December 1 and anyone who has any of the substances in his/her possession must inform the DOA within 15 days.The three hazardous substances, which have been handed over to the DOA, are prohibited from December 1 although limited quantities can be sold to farmers until that date. What's the limited quantity ? and what's the benefit of reporting will it be confiscated ?

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

Also in the news.... Any one who rides on a motorcycle with out a helmet has 15 days to report their offence...

If I was a farmer I would be doubling down on stocking up on all the banned chemicals I could....Brother I would have these chemicals stacked to the rafters in my barn....I would be good to go for years to come..... 

In our area stocks have been sold out for weeks, none of them are available.

Farmers have no idea what they're going to do because the alternatives, which are not nearly as effective a weed killer, cost more than 10 times as much.

As a retired Australian farmer who was a regular user of Glyphosphate/Roundup I have some comments about this product.

Gpp is still widely used in Australian farming as it has been determined to be, a safe to use herbicide, with the caveat that it is used according to label instructions.

One of those instructions is that it must be used in clean water, NOT water from dams containing  any dirt.

The reason for that, is that Gpp deactivates almost instantly on contact with dirt, something I have observed many times. It also needs to be noticed that if it is used in excess of label most weeds found in a farming environment quickly develop immunity to it.

People with green leanings have claimed damage to frogs but all I can say is, that the many frogs in the dams on my property still fed lots of waterbirds and I never observed one bird affected by eating them.

All Australian farmers we are now required to do a department of agriculture course to legally use Gpp.

My concern with the ban on Gpp is that Thai farmers needing to control weeds will resort to dangerous substitutes or practices when it is accepted safe in many countries, where the green vote is not so strong.

This is obviously  just a personal view based on my experiences.

I agree that the other two should not be used and in 40 years when it was available,  as a trained chemist as well as a  farmer I did not.

Im happy to see these banned. A few of my neighbours have died suddenly from multiple organ failure due to over use of these chemicals. It does also affect wildlife with a lack thereof of i should say.. I see a poster above mentioned frogs and Yep it turns them gay! They also will slowly dissapear from sprayed places. we have 3 big ponds where they breed after rains but very little on anyone elses properties purely because we wont use the chemicals.

Some people are saying they arent toxic but ive seen the devistation first hand and been in arguments with neighbours about this for many years. Only descent thing this countries done i think to ban these chemicals.

For the farmers pissing and moaning that they wont be able to continue farming efficiently without these chemicals should sell up and go work in a factory. Real farmers adapt... I do it and grow just about everything....

1 hour ago, unamazedloso said:

Im happy to see these banned. A few of my neighbours have died suddenly from multiple organ failure due to over use of these chemicals. It does also affect wildlife with a lack thereof of i should say.. I see a poster above mentioned frogs and Yep it turns them gay! They also will slowly dissapear from sprayed places. we have 3 big ponds where they breed after rains but very little on anyone elses properties purely because we wont use the chemicals.

Some people are saying they arent toxic but ive seen the devistation first hand and been in arguments with neighbours about this for many years. Only descent thing this countries done i think to ban these chemicals.

For the farmers pissing and moaning that they wont be able to continue farming efficiently without these chemicals should sell up and go work in a factory. Real farmers adapt... I do it and grow just about everything....

Your mistake was bringing your attitude into a farming community.

Archived