Bigger cause of expats leaving...

What will cause more expats over age 50 to exit?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

400kx10+400kx7=400kx17=6,800,000. 6,800,000/12=566,666 baht average.

I took 

5x800=4000

7x400= 2800

? made a head calculating error ,????

6800 /12 =566,666  

????

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

A micro amount of people actually use this site so any poll is not reflecting the actual full expat community.

Most I speak to love it here the ones that don't are the vocal minority of all things bad about Expats.

I never say we'll leave then as that's what there waiting for. Rather I say take stock of your situation you are in charge of your own destiny.

If you can't navigate around a few hurdles with ease look to another pastime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I have seen some out there threads on TV.

This is up there.

1. Is incorrect. I'm over 50 on extensions no insurance.

2. Why would they not already be living here? 

3. That word again IFFFFFF.

4. Take the scaremongering somewhere else. 

Think this thread might last a limited time.

Not factual. Good topic for pub forum

Scare mongers function as an arm of the oppressive state. Falsehoods,  lies, exaggerations,  rumours .... scaremongering and tittle tattle

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fourpack said:

A micro amount of people actually use this site so any poll is not reflecting the actual full expat community.

Most I speak to love it here the ones that don't are the vocal minority of all things bad about Expats.

I never say we'll leave then as that's what there waiting for. Rather I say take stock of your situation you are in charge of your own destiny.

If you can't navigate around a few hurdles with ease look to another pastime.

Well said

It's a combination of both. Up until now there has been work arounds with the finances, agents / under counter, whatever.

Health insurance, while it makes logical sense (with right insurers!), sooner or later needs to be applied to all. Once that happens well the work arounds crash.

Which will impact more expats leaving. Think of it as whether its the horse first or cart first.... then both are spinning 360 down the highway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Scare mongers function as an arm of the oppressive state. Falsehoods,  lies, exaggerations,  rumours .... scaremongering and tittle tattle

Notice I rarely post in this forum, where most are whining about TM30..complied three years ago, never a problem since.  While many more are whining about the 800k...had mine here at age 42.  And obtained yellow book four years ago, without buying a house for a prossie.  So now some clowns are accusing me of scaremongering..while a few posted 100 tearful times about being forced to deal with an agent, because they didn't have the resources to obtain a Visa good for two years before they arrived...and even more are simply touts for Visa agents...of which I have not used in 22 years of trips here..Now, that I am within two months of an extension, I am attempting to get to the bottom of the situation, as I have always been 100% legal.  And, yes, there are credible reports that my local IO, which has been 10 times better than CM, is indeed requiring the proof of insurance.  

There is no denying people are hitting the exits.  Exchange rate might even be number one.  Obviously way fewer Euro and Oz here.  But, meanwhile, there is so much empathy for posters on here, denied and rejected, telling their stories with thick Russian and middle eastern accents..but they had a Canadian passport...Meanwhile, I try to compare notes and survey the situation, and I am scaremongering?  

Edited by moontang
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

Notice I rarely post in this forum, where most are whining about TM30..complied three years ago, never a problem since.  While many more are whining about the 800k...had mine here at age 42.  And obtained yellow book four years ago, without buying a house for a prossie.  So now some clowns are accusing me of scaremongering..while a few posted 100 tearful times about being forced to deal with an agent, because they didn't have the resources to obtain a Visa good for two years before they arrived...and even more are simply touts for Visa agents...of which I have not used in 22 years of trips here..Now, that I am within two months of an extension, I am attempting to get to the bottom of the situation, as I have always been 100% legal.  And, yes, there are credible reports that my local IO, which has been 10 times better than CM, is indeed requiring the proof of insurance.  

There is no denying people are hitting the exits.  Exchange rate might even be number one.  Obviously way fewer Euro and Oz here.  But, meanwhile, there is so much empathy for posters on here, denied and rejected, telling their stories with thick Russian and middle eastern accents..but they had a Canadian passport...Meanwhile, I try to compare notes and survey the situation, and I am scaremongering?  

quote: telling their stories with thick Russian and middle eastern accents..but they had a Canadian passport

Are you referring to a previous racist post of yours (that got deleted)?

8 hours ago, wgdanson said:

800k will not get you very far in a private Thai hospital in the case of a coronary or stroke or accident.

Actually in a private hospital in Thailand, you might as well go home and get treated. Same price.

When I was there I had a friend working in a private hospital and she used to tell me the prices.

Insane for Thailand.

When I was living there I had many stayes in a government hospital. I never had any problems with them and cheeeeeep.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I think that after a few years in country some of us realise that the Thailand dream is not a dream at all. It isn't a nightmare or anything like that but we just come to see more clearly how our homeland isn't bad, and actually beats Thailand in many ways. I enjoyed Thailand for years but reached a point where I just missed home.

It wasn't one thing but a bunch of stuff like the peace of mind that of living on your own country and knowing I will never have a visa problem, will never be hassled by police, have free high-quality medical care available should I need it, have fresh air to breathe year-round....and so on. Thailand was great for a while....and it helped me to realise how much I missed home.

I agree, but I would substitute "my own country" by "Europe".

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, mstevens said:

I think that after a few years in country some of us realise that the Thailand dream is not a dream at all. It isn't a nightmare or anything like that but we just come to see more clearly how our homeland isn't bad, and actually beats Thailand in many ways. I enjoyed Thailand for years but reached a point where I just missed home.

It wasn't one thing but a bunch of stuff like the peace of mind that of living on your own country and knowing I will never have a visa problem, will never be hassled by police, have free high-quality medical care available should I need it, have fresh air to breathe year-round....and so on. Thailand was great for a while....and it helped me to realise how much I missed home.

Very true....but then again, there's the weather, I couldn't imagine living in the UK in January, doesn't bear thinking about!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What I find interesting in many of these threads is that people talk about leaving Thailand because this and that is bad.

But it seems many of the people who leave somehow think that in all new destinations all will be better.

Maybe it's easier to get a long term visa or residency in country x y or z. But how about all the rest?

How about the language? Would you i.e. move to Cambodia without knowing the language? Sure, it's possible to learn it. But that takes time. And I am sure there are lots of things different over there. Or do you think English is good enough to communicate with the locals?

And similar in other countries. It's easy to say: I will move to somewhere else. But how easy is it to live happy in another country which some of those people who want to move possibly never visited before?

I know, Thailand is not perfect. But I am irritated when lots of people seem to thing all will be so much nicer in this new country - which they basically don't know.

Or how many of you have detailed knowledge, experience, and possibly contacts in your new destination? 

Some good points. I lived hapily in Cambodia for 5 years before I came here 3 years ago. I am happy here too but am wary about 'what's next'. At 64 and 9 months I am on the cusp of having a future insurance issue. I have a good UK policy but also have 2 or 3 pre-existing conditions, so Thai companies may refuse me if the requirement suddenly applies to Non O extensions. 

My plan B is back to Siem Reap, but i'd need to figure out an appropriate long-stay visa for my Thai wife.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Denim said:

Not enough options to vote on.

Not everybody over 50 is on a retirement visa.

The increasingly hot weather will force me out before anything else.

Just had my second skin cancer cut out for a thousand dollars and don't fancy a third.

I agree, is not only A and B the question needs more articulate. Not forget big pollution, very dangerous roads, expansive cost living growing year after year and repressive government again population increase instability future, for ageing farangs on a search for peace and security, Thailand is anymore a country for retirement.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2