Pure Water.

Luckydog

After Purification by most Bottled Water Companies, the Water is totally devoid of the many minerals, and natural elements, that are beneficial to the human Body.

So taking a vitamin/mineral suppliment is a sensible thing to do.

Beer and Wine drinkers may poo poo this, but I think one should.........

Actually bottled water is fine (even reverse-osmosis), it still has many dissolved minerals.

It's DISTILLED water (sometimes sold for drinking) which MAY have harmful effects by causing electrolyte imbalance, there's a lot of debate on this subject, personally I won't drink distilled water because I don't like the (lack of) taste.

Distilled water has a "flat" taste do to lack of minerals/salts. I don't think that by drinking just distilled water you are going to run in to problems with electrolyte imbalance because you are going to make up for those minerals in the foods you eat.

maybe some scientific explanation can help:

Water will be "measured" by its electrical conductance to check how "clean" it is.

The top, they reach today, which is usually needed for industrial critical processes, such as semiconductor industry or laboratories is 18 Mega-Ohm.

When water is, for example, extracted out of the ground...

-first is will be coarse filtered, usually by a sand filter... just normal big partical removal

-then it goes through a filter to remove the "hardness". (usually ground water has a lot of calcium carbonate (CaCO3)), what is actually those white spots, you will find all over your faucets, if you do not dry them, when wet

-a carbon filter is usually also used. It will mostly remove odor, and a lot more, but not very good.

When measuring water up to this point, it is still highly electrical conductive, since many metals are still DISSOLVED in it. It will conduct current good which means that if you drop your hairdryer in a bath filled with it, you die.

-then the popular "reverse osmosis" takes place. It removes most minerals (salts and metals). After a R.O. treatment, the water is usually somewhere betweeen 1 and 4 Mega Ohm. Quite high, and therefore has not much nutricial value. Also no danger for electrical current anymore.

-since bateria and virus are so small, they easily pass an R.O. membrane (the actual filter in an RO setup) and therefore UV light is used, which kills all that stuff.

Water is considered save to drink after this.

Since it is almost empty, it will absorb minerals from your body. This is in general not so bad, since our foods are usually laden with minerals.

If however you are on a diet or careful with what you eat, you might check on the foods what they contain. If they are not mineral rich, you might want to chose "mineral water" instead of RO water, since mineral water will give of minerals to your body and RO water will rob your body of them.

Industry often goes further to clean water, with ion-exchange resins. this can become quite expensive but it gives the water a top of 18 Mega-Ohm. The so called "anions" and "cations" are captured by these filters and need regular re-generation for filter optimizing. Do not drink that water! It can rust iron in less then a minute!

hope this helps...

Edited by tracker

Water doesn't make iron rust...rust is oxidation. Put a piece of iron in a low oxygen environment with water and corrosion will be extremely slow. Of course water contains a certain amount of free oxygen, so that will eventually react with the iron.

The truth about water

We drink quite a bit of water around here. Maybe we should have the water

cooler dispense wine instead. Hmmm....

Subject: Water or Wine or knowing the truth about H2o

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would

have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria found

in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of Poop.

However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, beer or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:

Water = Poop

Wine = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of sh1t.

PKG :o

Water will be "measured" by its electrical conductance to check how "clean" it is.

The top, they reach today, which is usually needed for industrial critical processes, such as semiconductor industry or laboratories is 18 Mega-Ohm.

-first is will be coarse filtered, usually by a sand filter... just normal big partical removal

-then it goes through a filter to remove the "hardness". (usually ground water has a lot of calcium carbonate (CaCO3)), what is actually those white spots, you will find all over your faucets, if you do not dry them, when wet

-a carbon filter is usually also used. It will mostly remove odor, and a lot more, but not very good.

When measuring water up to this point, it is still highly electrical conductive, since many metals are still DISSOLVED in it. It will conduct current good which means that if you drop your hairdryer in a bath filled with it, you die.

-then the popular "reverse osmosis" takes place. It removes most minerals (salts and metals). After a R.O. treatment, the water is usually somewhere betweeen 1 and 4 Mega Ohm. Quite high, and therefore has not much nutricial value. Also no danger for electrical current anymore.

-since bateria and virus are so small, they easily pass an R.O. membrane (the actual filter in an RO setup) and therefore UV light is used, which kills all that stuff.

Since it is almost empty, it will absorb minerals from your body. This is in general not so bad, since our foods are usually laden with minerals.

If however you are on a diet or careful with what you eat, you might check on the foods what they contain. If they are not mineral rich, you might want to chose "mineral water" instead of RO water, since mineral water will give of minerals to your body and RO water will rob your body of them.

Industry often goes further to clean water, with ion-exchange resins. this can become quite expensive but it gives the water a top of 18 Mega-Ohm. The so called "anions" and "cations" are captured by these filters and need regular re-generation for filter optimizing. Do not drink that water! It can rust iron in less then a minute!

hope this helps...

Nottalottapeeps nowsdis Tracker. Very interesting mate. Ta.

The truth about water

We drink quite a bit of water around here. Maybe we should have the water

cooler dispense wine instead. Hmmm....

Subject: Water or Wine or knowing the truth about H2o

In a number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would

have absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli (E. coli) bacteria found

in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of Poop.

However, we do not run that risk when drinking wine (or rum, whiskey, beer or other liquor) because alcohol has to go through a purification process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:

Water = Poop

Wine = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of sh1t.

PKG :o

Fantastic info. NOW we will be able to tell who drinks lots of Water here.......

Thanks, Lucky dog....

It doesn't matter, read or not. It's just a bit of that sharing feeling that makes me type. If one person, one day, is helped with it, it could amplify to infinity.... or just stay dormant.

Cheers!

Water doesn't make iron rust...rust is oxidation. Put a piece of iron in a low oxygen environment with water and corrosion will be extremely slow. Of course water contains a certain amount of free oxygen, so that will eventually react with the iron.

Yup- boil some distilled water (to remove any extra dissolved oxygen) and put an iron nail in it, then cover the top of the water with a layer of oil (to prevent outside oxygen from dissolving itself in the water). It won't rust.

hope this helps...

Very good review, just need to add that this is for countries which does not take care their resources. Others like Switzerland/Austria and sure many more can take the water comming from the mountain and drink it, not even sand filter necessary.

Yup- boil some distilled water (to remove any extra dissolved oxygen) and put an iron nail in it, then cover the top of the water with a layer of oil (to prevent outside oxygen from dissolving itself in the water). It won't rust.

One of your 7th grade science projects IJWT? :o

Another issue to debate: how much water should a person drink every day, to be healthy? I read an unconfirmed report that some expert urologist scoured the academic journals and found no proof that there is any scientifically proven amount. Obviously, you need water to live, but water is in wine and Pepsi Max and asparagus and hamburgers. I have lived decades without more than half a liter of water per day, and that was often ice that was melting in two or three liters per day of caffeinated, carbonated soda pop. The only times I ever dehydrated were in extraordinary cases such as blood poisoning, extreme diarrhea, or profuse sweating.

How much water do you need, in a climate like this? It varies from person to person, and apparently the Ph.D.'s and medical doctors don't really know.

The human body has had thousands of years to get used to water as the main liquid intake, Pepsi Max - less so. Actually I just stopped drinking Soda, milk etc... a few weeks ago and I feel great - I try for 3-4 litres of water a day. Saying there is water in Pepsi is a bit misleading as Soda drinks generally act as a diuretic, if you only drink Soda and wine it may not dehydrate you as such but you can be sure that its doing some damage to your body in the long term.

I've never met a Doctor who has said water isn't important, and that drinking Pepsi-Max and Wine is just as good.

Distilled water has a "flat" taste do to lack of minerals/salts. I don't think that by drinking just distilled water you are going to run in to problems with electrolyte imbalance because you are going to make up for those minerals in the foods you eat.

The first day I started to study chemistry I was warned that you shouldn't drink water that is devoid of minerals (readily available at the lab).

The Bangkok Post ran several good articles about the potential dangers of drinking R.O. water but unfortunately I do not have the references any more.

I think that drinking (too much) R.O. water might indeed drain minerals from your body. So I'll rather pay a bit more and only get drinking water that is not treated by reverse osmosis.

At least in Thailand you have the choice to buy/drink non-R.O. water (usually tastes better as well), in Cambodia for instance, I only saw R.O. water.

But I do wonder why in Europe I never saw R.O. drinking water????..... There surely must be a good (heath-related?) reason for this???

Edited by whatsupdoc

never mind all that mineral stuff, wasn't there a study in the UK recently that kids and young people up to 30 or so are suffering from abnormally high levels of teeth decay because of the fad for bottled water. They are no longer drinking the tap water which used to have flouride added to it . . .

Of course, it could be explained by the fact that they are manky little gits who don't clean their teeth and eat too many sweets.

One of your 7th grade science projects IJWT? :o

It would be about that level, yes! :D:D

If you want to find out the truth of medical or scientific reports, just follow the money. See how's financed it. If the article which says RO water is bad for you was supported by, for instance, evian, go figure...

I agree with peaceblondie that there is no amount of water to set for any person as a doctor or scientist. It's what you need, and it probably is every day different. So make sure you drink enough. The best indication is the colour of you pee! get it as colourless as you can. This will keep liver and kidneys in optimum condition, which will secure a long health.

As said before, you can drink RO water. It WILL rob your body from minerals. If you do however get them through other means, there is no problem.... The old but proven saying is in place here: eat enough fruit and veggies.... (but then again, who does that!?)

Maybe a bit offtopic but not the least interesting:

Another interesting part of the water are the watercure websites, which claim miraculous results. Ofcourse it will not be supported by the pharmaceutical industry, as there is no money for them in there. A lot of people regard it as bullsh?t because it is strongly believed that cures cost money. I was too skeptic, until I found some article. printed in a newspaper (wilkesbury PA, I think) about a doctor who claimed he could cure any asthma patient with water. On top of the claim, he put his mouth on the money: he would donate 25000 usd to the asthma fund for every patient which could not be healed this way... Sure got me thinking AND reading.

Anyhow, water beats and other drink out there. Ask Dr. Emoto...