Both UK parties are peddling fantasies, says former PM Blair

webfact

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

What does his choice of whichever religious sect have to do with this?

Unless you mean religious people can never be trusted.

He had weekly meeting with the queen ,who is head of the C of E,must have been interesting ,OK they talked about politics and the country ,but you can not tell me she did not have a dig at him, not her flavor of the month. 

It was his wife who the Catholic,and he converted  to her ways . 

12 minutes ago, kickstart said:

He had weekly meeting with the queen ,who is head of the C of E,must have been interesting ,OK they talked about politics and the country ,but you can not tell me she did not have a dig at him, not her flavor of the month. 

It was his wife who the Catholic,and he converted  to her ways . 

Catholics, protestants, what's the difference? Same same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The other party leader is an inveterate liar.

Just like Blair with his pack of lies about wmd,Corbyns made of stern stuff voting against blair,pity he didn,t resign,still I suppose once your snouts firmly in the trough must be hard to remove it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the man who opened the floodgates to mass migration of mostly unskilled EU peasants who wanted a life on bennys and handouts ..millions of them and caused the brexit leave

Remember it well" we sent out the search parties to rub the right wings nose in it"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Enoon said:

Obviously a total s****** for what he and Bush did to the Middle East, and the consequences it had for the rest of the world.

However he's well and truly "off the pitch" now, not looking for votes, and can provide a reasoned, pragmatic, objective view.

As do many other "senior politicians", now on the "sidelines".

He's right.

I think you're too kind. I suspect he's aiming for the top job in the EU and will do/say anything that may get it for him.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cme said:

I think you're too kind. I suspect he's aiming for the top job in the EU and will do/say anything that may get it for him.

What top job in the EU, you mean the ones that were settled a few months ago?

Ex politicians don't get jobs like that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

What does his choice of whichever religious sect have to do with this?

Unless you mean religious people can never be trusted.

Because he said God told him to bomb Iraq, which clearly God didn't, so he's a lying, shallow, leeching, horrible c***.

Does that make it clearer?

Loathsome man, and I fail to understand why people give him the oxygen of publicity.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Because he said God told him to bomb Iraq, which clearly God didn't, so he's a lying, shallow, leeching, horrible c***.

Does that make it clearer?

Loathsome man, and I fail to understand why people give him the oxygen of publicity.

Because he had good insights and is often correct, like he is here.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve an answer.

Blair and Bush set the Arab muslim middle east on fire, took back control of the oil, and via the growth of ISIS, alerted the whole world to the reality of Islam. A perfect destructive war which cost few western lives...and had the Arabs divided and massacring each other, bought Saudi to heel and isolated Iran....Brilliant Work...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Blair and Bush set the Arab muslim middle east on fire, took back control of the oil, and via the growth of ISIS, alerted the whole world to the reality of Islam. A perfect destructive war which cost few western lives...and had the Arabs divided and massacring each other, bought Saudi to heel and isolated Iran....Brilliant Work...

Your first line is correct, they set the ME on fire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Because he had good insights and is often correct, like he is here.

The rest of your post doesn't deserve an answer.

Good insights?i,m sure 25,000 dead Iraqi civilians would beg to differ,anyone know a good clairvoyant?

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And how many years after retiring from public functions did he get that?

He's never retired from public functions and neither has his missus. In 2010 

GLENYS KINNOCK, the new minister for Europe, has amassed six publicly funded pensions worth £185,000 per year with her husband Neil, the former leader of the Labour party.

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

Commission's from arms dealers?

Well, there's his multi-million pound a year job as an advisor to JP Morgan for starters. The Telegraph has him receiving £2M/year from JP Morgan as of 2015.

I honestly find it surprising that so many posters in this thread seem to want to "forgive and forget" Tony's various misdeeds while he was in office. Illegal wars, shredding his expenses, accepting tens of millions of pounds from the banking industry .... he's not a very nice man.

Here's a link to the Guardian - read the article and the comments below, and remember why Guardian readers used to dislike him.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/2008/jan/10/whyblairsworthamilliondol1

"I'm a pretty straight sort of guy" - Tony Blair

• Like 1

Question to all those who understand this "fantasy", as Blair calls it.

Why is it so difficult for the EU to agree to a Canada style free trade agreement with the UK? Why can they not simply take CETA, change the name from Canada to UK, call it a UETA agreement, and start from there with modifications to apply to specific areas?

Is the Irish border and the GFA the only thing preventing this, or is there more? The agreement that the EU just spent years negotiating with Canada seems the ideal place to begin negotiations with the UK. That seems like the optimal agreement that everyone can accept, given that the UK and Canada are already so close in their cultural and legislative background.

Why is the idea of starting with this and modifying as necessary so repellant? It seems if they did this, a year is certainly enough time to come to terms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 12:38 AM, stevenl said:

What top job in the EU, you mean the ones that were settled a few months ago?

Ex politicians don't get jobs like that.

Your wrong, Junker was former PM of Luxembourg, Barroso from Spain, von Hofstadt ex PM from Belgium, Leon Brittan former top Tory etc etc. They are all former politicians.

On 11/27/2019 at 1:17 AM, Monomial said:

Question to all those who understand this "fantasy", as Blair calls it.

Why is it so difficult for the EU to agree to a Canada style free trade agreement with the UK? Why can they not simply take CETA, change the name from Canada to UK, call it a UETA agreement, and start from there with modifications to apply to specific areas?

Is the Irish border and the GFA the only thing preventing this, or is there more? The agreement that the EU just spent years negotiating with Canada seems the ideal place to begin negotiations with the UK. That seems like the optimal agreement that everyone can accept, given that the UK and Canada are already so close in their cultural and legislative background.

Why is the idea of starting with this and modifying as necessary so repellant? It seems if they did this, a year is certainly enough time to come to terms.

This may give you an idea of the possible differences between the Canada- EU deal and any potential UK-EU proposal using a similar formula.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45633592

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, bannork said:

This may give you an idea of the possible differences between the Canada- EU deal and any potential UK-EU proposal using a similar formula.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45633592

Thanks for that article. Sadly lacking in details unfortunately. Under the "could it work" category, all they basically say is that there are differences in both the amount and nature of goods traded, but they don't give any reasons why or example on how this could cause a problem, or why it couldn't work as a model for Brexit.

Unfortunately I am still left with my original question. What are the problems with a Canada style agreement as the basis of brexit?

• Like 1