Denied Retire Ext. less than 12 months proof.

Since the announcement of TI showing "leniency" I started transferring reasonable amounts until I got the 400k in the bank. The reason being that I didn't trust TI to show leniency when there was the prospect of making some tea money. As it turned out, Transferwise compounded it anyway by sending a couple of transfers to BBL via Kbank. As it got closer to my extension date in October and seeing several people refused leniency, I realised that I'd made the correct decision. It always pays to have a contingency plan here, especially when hard an fast rules aren't written down in the police order.

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 6:12 PM, lkv said:

So, can't he do an extension for 60 days for "visiting wife", and then extend 12 months for "retirement"?

By that time, he would have the full 12 months of financials?

He can't extend it 1 year after the 60 days extension. 

Very sorry to hear this.

On 11/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, Number 6 said:

I'm not here to be snide.

I don't know why people continue with this method. Even if you're not caught out this year it will be next or next.

It's over. Really.

Get the money in the bank. Sleep soundly.

Go get a non o in savanakhet and build your funds up.

The smart ones will leave. The really smart ones are already gone or are in the process of leaving.

I’ve no idea why anyone in their right mind would want to do this every year for the rest of their life. Even if you meet the requirements today, or this year, it’s only a matter of time until they are changed again, and again, and again, until you’re out. 

I honestly pity those of you who are stuck here.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

That's because unfortunately it is subject to change day by day, minute by minute, officer by officer, office by office and province by province.

Excellent way to plan your future.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dcnx said:

Excellent way to plan your future.

A great example that he/she's right is the Sisaket Immigration.

They've never enforced the TM 30 and many things are much easier here than in other provinces.

The sad part is that we have to go with the flow.....

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Ok, I didn't know you could do 2 extensions in a row at an immigration office. I mean back to back.

Yeah, that's what people generally do with 12 month extensions, or 3 month ED extensions, or any type of extensions. Back to back.

Edited by lkv

On 11/25/2019 at 2:41 AM, MeePeeMai said:

Gosh I'm sorry to hear that.  That's just typical though of how they do things here as I have been given bad and conflicting info every time I ask a question at Imm.

Lots of posts and threads on the subject here and you could switch to a Non-O based on marriage to a Thai (you will probably have to leave LOS and get that outside of Thailand

since they will probably ask you for a Thai Insurance policy and/or financials if you try to switch over from a Non O-A or Non O retirement to a Non O based on Thai family here).

No financials required at some places. 

I assume you are on a Non O-A (or are you here on a Non-O based on retirement?)

I am from usa and I am not required to get insurance.  ...  Non O imm

I have not heard of anyone needing ins .. So far

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Dumb to trust Thai Immigration and their spin the wheel or random rule interpretation scams.  I got my Income Verification Letter(s) November 2018 for for a visa conversion in January and a retirement extension 3 months later knowing they would demand two original letters I planned ahead. Going for the extension with my last letter a week under the six month validity was the next challenge. They tried to turn me away three times demanding a bank book with 800000 no matter how many times I showed them the letter they literally would not look at it.  One of the immigration volunteers had to go back to the bosses three times before they finally opened their eyes and looked at my letter and even took out a calculator to confirm it was less than six months old before finally giving me my extension.  It must have been the very last income letter they saw in Phuket. I started doing international transfers the same month and do them on the first of every month in the amount of 80000 because when they raise it from 65000 I assure you they will not take into account that the amount changed mid year and I will have allowed for a 15000 baht increase.  You gotta be a step ahead of these idiots at every turn.  The OP has a Thai wife?? Nice to have a second visa option I don't have.  Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

Raise to 80k? This grounded fear or Concerned pre planning for bad? 

You're lucky you have a Thai wife. So you can apply marriage extension with just 400k.

Many retirees don't have this option and they have to leave Thailand.

As I said in the past, immigration is trying to close all the loopholes. There are still some loopholes that are not closed yet.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

In the past, a retirement extension is easier to obtain than marriage extension but now it's the other way around because of the new laws such as stopping the issue of embassy letters and health insurance for O-A.

Does a marriage extension need to lock 400k for the whole year or just a few months?

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

Very sorry to hear this.

The smart ones will leave. The really smart ones are already gone or are in the process of leaving.

I’ve no idea why anyone in their right mind would want to do this every year for the rest of their life. Even if you meet the requirements today, or this year, it’s only a matter of time until they are changed again, and again, and again, until you’re out. 

I honestly pity those of you who are stuck here.

To stay in region, perhaps many will have to design a more mobile existence, such as 179 days in Thailand 181 days in the Philippines, and a weeks holiday somewhere else. Within a reciprocal group arrangement, on a timeshare rotation. There seems to be many saying in another current thread, that their 0-A 1 year entry visa has become something of an ongoing liability, and seem to be trying to escape that visa.

3 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

To stay in region, perhaps many will have to design a more mobile existence, such as 179 days in Thailand 181 days in the Philippines, and a weeks holiday somewhere else. 

6 months in Thailand and 6 months in Philippines? That sounds like a good idea.

But if you do that every year, they might not treat you as a 'tourist'.

3 minutes ago, EricTh said:

But if you do that every year, they might not treat you as a 'tourist'.

Could well be the case, but all but a very few PR holders, essentially (even the elite) are treated just like long-stay tourists it would seem.

Past performance would not seem to be a guide to the future, in this lovely place. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Does a marriage extension need to lock 400k for the whole year or just a few months?

Two months before application, plus the time until they give you an extension I read recently, The situation up until yesterday ????.

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

In the past, a retirement extension is easier to obtain than marriage extension but now it's the other way around because of the new laws such as stopping the issue of embassy letters and health insurance for O-A.

O Retirement extension using 800k is easy enough, i have friends who do that rather than marriage extension. Also don't forget all that money saved by guys not married

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its sounds very complicated honestly i would given up before even trying.

Yes, here I am 29 days to renewal due and already thinking next week will do.... unless there are some holidays.... oh, there are.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

Two months before the application is done and dependent upon the office for 30 days more during the under consideration period.

On 11/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, arjunadawn said:

Can you tell me more? Maybe... go out nearby, apply to come back in on 90 day Non O? (Keep monthly $ coming in), but apply for the first threshold I reach- marriage extension, 400,000k?). Think we could get and deposit in a month. Not sure about the technical details. 

I asked at immigration too. Response to the above question? “Why don’t you switch to marriage extension now?” 
But, ahh, if I dobt have 12 months of deposits, how can...

”Yea, right...” and walked away. 

Im way out of my comfort zone. My wife will be home from work shortly. This is disaster. New home, etc. 

Yes, lf you have 400k you can apply straight away for a Non O based on marriage. No need for 12 months of deposits..... Where on earth did you get that info from?

21 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Two months before application, plus the time until they give you an extension I read recently, The situation up until yesterday ????.

For retirement , we have to lock up 800k for 5 months and at least 400k for the whole 12 months......so they are lucky.

Edited by EricTh