Entering Thailand after marriage in another country

My wife is a British citizen who is also a Thai national. We got married in Britain and she's back in Thailand finishing a diploma.

Her immigration friend said there's a way I can visit my wife in Thailand with a certified marriage certificate that doesn't involve a tourist or marriage visa. My current job allows me to travel and I would love to visit her as much as possible until she's finished her course and can come here to live. I've done the tourist visa route with border crossings in the past but I don't like the stories I've heard with immigration deporting foreigners attempting to enter Thailand on another tourist visa. 

Does something exist? From what I understand it's like a visitor visa. Appreciate the help.

• Like 1

You can apply for a multi entry non-O visa based on your marriage to a Thai. The visa is valid for 1 year and during that year you can enter and re-enter Thailand as much as you like. Every time you enter you will be allowed to stay for a maximum of 90 days, which you can extend by 60 days.

Requirements for the visa depends on at which Thai embassy you will be applying. You would at least need proof of your to a Thai national.

you fail to mention your nationality or location.

the main ways to enter Thailand are visa exempt 30 days, tourist visa 60 days or non immigrant 'O' visa 90 days.

once in Thailand any entry can be extended at local immigration office by 60 days, as you are married to a Thai national,

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

once in Thailand any entry can be extended at local immigration office by 60 days, as you are married to a Thai national,

If you married outside of Thailand I believe your wife has to register the marriage at her local Amphur upon returning. And a copy of that document must be obtained and shown at the IO upon applying for an extension. Or am I talking B*****Ks? I'm open to correction.

9 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

If you married outside of Thailand I believe your wife has to register the marriage at her local Amphur upon returning. And a copy of that document must be obtained and shown at the IO upon applying for an extension. Or am I talking B*****Ks? I'm open to correction.

not required for a 60 day extension i believe.

16 minutes ago, steve187 said:

not required for a 60 day extension i believe.

A certified signed copy of registration of marriage from the Amphur was required a few months back when I did a 60 day extension in Buriram. The doc is a Kor Ror 2 or 3. I forget which.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

10 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Registering a foreign marriage to get a Kor Ror 22 is only needed to apply for ane one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

It is not required to apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate or a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

While married to my Thai wife - now ex - all that was needed (until 2016 at least) was to go to the Thai Embassy in London with the 1 page application form, a copy of the UK marriage certificate, my UK passport and her Thai passport. This would get a one year NON-O Multi entry valid for 90 days each entry.

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

While married to my Thai wife - now ex - all that was needed (until 2016 at least) was to go to the Thai Embassy in London with the 1 page application form, a copy of the UK marriage certificate, my UK passport and her Thai passport. This would get a one year NON-O Multi entry valid for 90 days each entry.

But now all applications must be done on-line and there are no more Non-O-Multiples from London. 

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Registering a foreign marriage to get a Kor Ror 22 is only needed to apply for ane one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

It is not required to apply for a non-o visa at a embassy or consulate or a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

I wasn't visiting my wife. I haven't left the country for 5 years and she was with me at time of applying for the 60 day extension. We had to show an updated Kor Ror 22 paper to get the 60 day extension. Then after the 60 day extension expired I applied for my 12 month extension based on marriage to which I had to obtain another up to date copy of the Kor Ror 22 as they refused to accept the copy from 6 weeks previous. This is what happened at the Buriram IO's. Buriram has 2 separate offices. I used one office for the 60 day and tuther for the annual extension.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

44 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

We had to show an updated Kor Ror 22 paper to get the 60 day extension.

That is not required to apply for the 60 day extension. Just a incorrect requirement at a odd immigration office.

It certainly needed to apply for the one year extension.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not required to apply for the 60 day extension. Just a incorrect requirement at a odd immigration office.

But if the 60 day extension is based on being married then surely proof has to be shown that you are still legally married? And that can only be done by providing a KR22 obtained from the Amphur on the day of applying. Which is exactly my experience.

30 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But if the 60 day extension is based on being married then surely proof has to be shown that you are still legally married? And that can only be done by providing a KR22 obtained from the Amphur on the day of applying. Which is exactly my experience.

The 60 day extension is to visit your Thai wife. It does not have the same requirements as a one year extension of stay based upon marriage.

I can assure the greatest majority of immigration offices does not require a Kor Ror 2 or a Kor Ror 22 to apply for a 60 day extension.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

can assure the greatest majority of immigration offices does not require a Kor Ror 2

Without arguing it's not that way in Buriram. You have to have the KR2 obtained from your Amphur on the same day as you apply for the extension .

digitalchromakey

• Sapphire Member
  •  
  • digitalchromakey
  • Advanced Members
  • 2,920 posts
  •  

Lucky you :)

Most immigration areas require the updated KR2 Marriage Register Entry as the Marriage Certificate itself is no evidence that you are still married, but you must be still married to get the KR2 update.

•  

• Mario2008
  • Advanced Members
  • 29,418 posts

Indeed not every immigration office seem to require it, but many do want to see an updated KR2. Best to have it with you.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

11 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

that's before, no multi entry visas are available in the UK, other than OA and tourist oh and OX, so better to say no multi non imm 'O' visa available in the UK

7 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Without arguing it's not that way in Buriram. You have to have the KR2 obtained from your Amphur on the same day as you apply for the extension .

That is discussion is about one year extensions of stay not a 60 day extension.

It is well know that immgiration wants a up datated Kor Ror 2 or 22 for one year extensions. But it does not have to be updated on the day your apply.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is discussion is about one year extensions of stay not a 60 day extension.

It is well know that immgiration wants a up datated Kor Ror 2 or 22 for one year extensions. But it does not have to be updated on the day your apply.

But in my case they wanted the KR2 for the 60 day extension and a one year extension. Both to be obtained on the day of application.

6 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

But in my case they wanted the KR2 for the 60 day extension and a one year extension. Both to be obtained on the day of application.

That is at one odd immigration office that seems to making up their own requirements.