Video: Red plate car escapes car park fall - thanks to Monk Koon, that's for sure

webfact

35 minutes ago, kotsak said:

This is what happens when you use the left leg for brakes and the right one for throttle. ????

first time I drove an auto car  I kept  pressing the brake with my left foot thinking it was the clutch..soon adopted the  right foot for  both pedals  method  and no problems after that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kotsak said:

This is what happens when you use the left leg for brakes and the right one for throttle. ????

That is exactly how I have driven for over 40 years doing over a million miles. It is technique. But you may be correct, for a Thai it is maybe not what is prescribed for how they should operate a vehicle. Scary. 

• Sad 1

Where is the wall they are talking about ?

Sorry, now I see it on the video. Must have been giving it some welly to go over the concrete block thingy.

Second video confirms this, but it looks like there was no wall on that bit she went through.

Edited by wgdanson

Thais read these incidents all wrong.

Obviously , monk Moon was peeved at the family for some perceived sin ( usually not enough temple visits or donations ) and decided to give them a wake up call by causing the accident.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not so long ago there was another very similar 'incident'

More than one and not all with a lucky outcome.

Can someone explain where the obsession with reverse parking comes from?

Is there a rule/sign that I overlooked?

Why else would I do such a maneuver in an almost empty garage?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not so long ago there was another very similar 'incident' - the walls failed instantly, the design and construction make it pointless to construct walls to these car-parks, they just fall off he building.

In another 'incident' in Chiang Mai a couple of people were killed after being nudged into a Khlong, their went through a wall as if it was not there. 

Surely someone must also be held accountable for the awful standards of construction in these buildings which are in dire need of some form of strengthening for when and incident does happen. 

Additionally, the degree of fv<kwittery shown in this video highlights perfect how poor the standards of driving can be when a populace hits the road without any formal education - I wonder how many people are driving around using their left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator (in automatics) thinking that is the way they should be driving.  

I read somewhere that lots of these side walls are really only sound barriers and aren't in fact built to withstand a hard collision. If you enlarge the photo it seems there is no re-bar connecting the panels to the floor, just a groove that may or may not have had grouting or cement between the panel and the concrete floor.

Edit.

Maybe in fact the groove caught something on the car floor and helped to stop it going further.

Edited by overherebc

37 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

More than one and not all with a lucky outcome.

Can someone explain where the obsession with reverse parking comes from?

Is there a rule/sign that I overlooked?

Why else would I do such a maneuver in an almost empty garage?

Because it may very well not be empty when one returns to leave.

If not empty makes it easier to see and avoid other vehicles when leaving, as eyelines not so restricted (and over shoulder body contortion not required) from within the now enclosed, individual, parking space.

I also prefer to maneuver (arriving) with a hot, rather than a cold (leaving) engine.

With a cold engine I like to drive straight out and minimise the opportunities for stalling during maneuvers.

NB That's in the UK, 32 year old car, manual choke. Not drive Thailand.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa suggests they might look at the strength of the restraining walls.

I suggest they might 'scrutinise the cognitive ability' of the people operating these vehicles. 2 tons of ambulatory metal in the wrong hands is a lethal weapon.

Edited by CanterbrigianBangkoker
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Because it may very well not be empty when one returns to leave.

Got it. A mate reminded me of the same.

Some of the parking decks are madly crowded in the afternoon.

Central in Udon is a nightmare. I avoid it and walk from the street.

Edited by KhunBENQ

4 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Yea, just a suggestion. Perhaps the walls should be strong surrounding a high rise parking structure. LOL!

Cars do move and it's possible one of the cars could go the wrong direction in a high rise parking structure. LOL

The engineering skills in Thailand are a joke. In many cases contracts are given with payola under the table or the engineer is someones cousin fresh out of university on his first project ever. Buyer beware. This is Thailand. The amount of poor engineering put into infrastructure design is fully apparent the minute you walk out the hotel door.

2 women were killed in I think Hat Yai last year in exactly the same circumstances.

4 hours ago, mercman24 said:

and she got a driving livence, mistook, the pedals <deleted>, got no driving skills what so ever. still as we farangs know the driving test here is a bloody joke with 100% pass rate. i went to the test centre 3 weeks ago, it was busy, so they missed the film out and the perception test, its all about the money, nothing to do with road safety, there were 8 brit teachers there, they could not believe it

We ASSUME she has a license... lol