Military offers some explanations to Thanathorn's queries, mum on wealth of generals

rooster59

11 minutes ago, andygrr said:

If they used some of that money to pay the rest of the armed forced (Low ranks), there would be no need for conscription.

Thais would be happy to join up if they saw it as a decently paid career. In the long run Thailand would have better trained and committed soldiers.

Yeah... but the aircraft carrier would still be knackered.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

I just did a Google search and came up with these figures.  There are 1,750 general in the Thai Army compared  to 231 general in the American Army.  

What´s your source? I have heard about 1,300 generals what´s also a lot.

Given the salaries of public servants including the military and its generals, it is impossible to become wealthy if the salary is your only source of income. The public should have the unusual wealth of the seemingly hundreds of generals in Thailand...shouldn;t AMLO or some such organisation be investigating??????

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

My guess there is a bullet with his name on it somewhere

if the police cannot stop bag snatching. 

I would think this gentleman is not for this world long...

Look over your shoulder. 

avoid dark places. 

don't ask questions, just keep accepting the Brown envelopes. 

you might even get a watch for Christmas. 

5 hours ago, spacelord said:

Back in the day, the old guys, top of today's hierarchy, made their money skimming off US weapons sales during the Vietnam war. Today, the rate is the same, or maybe a little more, than in the commercial sector - which is around 30% pork on top of the real cost of goods.

Don't forget logging in Cambodian forests, smuggling teak, protecting Pol Pot for the US, human trafficking, dealing and smuggling opiates including heroin etc.

30 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

Don't forget logging in Cambodian forests, smuggling teak, protecting Pol Pot for the US, human trafficking, dealing and smuggling opiates including heroin etc.

And dope from Laos

• Like 1

Read this can’t say if it’s accurate or not. 

All conscripts are in the grade of Private / Seaman / Aircraftman (OR-1) for the entire length of service, regardless of educational qualification. There are wage increases after completion of basic training and with time-in-grade. Although it is alleged that more than half of conscripts end up as servants[20] to senior officers or clerks in military cooperative shops,[21][22] most conscripts regardless of their volunteer status and educational background are placed in the rates or occupational specialty according to the need for their branch of service. 

5 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I am curious if the army pays taxes for all their beside-businesses. But on the other side it´s not worth to think about. Everybody knows the answer.

Or on gifts from dead friends - nah! what a stupid thought. 

If Thailand is EVER going to come out from the Yoke of

Corruption - people like Tanathron are needed to lead the

way. The problem is  - he is expendable , as are the ones

behind him. Thus...the Status Quo remains safe for the

forsee-able future.

• Sad 1