Is this cheese?

Thian

26 minutes ago, tifino said:

that's why I earlier today referred to Kraft, and their 'Kraft Slices' 

They make no claim as to the product  being 'Cheese' 

Do the Melt Test... It will soften, and bend - and will Cinder before it even thinks of eventually melting

I did not like to mention Kraft - I miss decent cheese here - my home country has more handcrafted varieties than France - which is a bit stuck in tradition.

Perhaps next time in the supermarket will look at the ingredients of those truly delicious slices- ( personally I think we should have a campaign to wipe them from the face of the earth - not even cheap to buy) 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well it has to be labeled fruit wine if that is the case (not wholly made from grapes) so at least you know what you are getting!!

As for cheese I buy here.......Italian Gorgonzola, English Stilton and NZ Vintage Cheddar!! 

You absolutely totally cannot buy  Stilton here - cut from a whole cheese , correctly pampered - never ! 

37 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Most Europeans, and also Christians in America, absolutely worship Kraft Cheeses ????

It's even sold in Holland and neighbouring countries which have loads and loads of cheese....i also don't understand why people buy it...it must be very cheap i guess...that's the only reason i can think of...or they are too lazy to slice their cheese. Pre-sliced cheese isn't so cheap in Holland but it is in Germany....

Mold is a fungi. Fungi which will propagate on cheese will, quite logically, develop in countries where cheese is abundant.

Cheese is a very rare commodity in Thailand, therefor the fungi which develops on cheese will not be naturally occurring in the environment.

Does that sound logical to you @Thian?

This is what was on internet regarding California Sekect Gouda..

I’m America and not a fan of the K... sliced cheese. Maybe it makes you mind think it’s cheese.

When I see fake cheese always wonder how it’s made

8D25E67C-44A7-4309-803D-68FCB50A8167.png

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Mold is a fungi. Fungi which will propagate on cheese will, quite logically, develop in countries where cheese is abundant.

Cheese is a very rare commodity in Thailand, therefor the fungi which develops on cheese will not be naturally occurring in the environment.

Does that sound logical to you @Thian?

Well i learned that anything is possible in Thailand...but i had cheese here brought from holland, never frozen, which got some mold after a while after i opened and closed it....

I can test it again, have plenty of cheese in the freezer...real gouda. Now my wife wants to test everything we eat ( i showed her that burger of 20 years old )so it's a good experiment. We need mold or we won't eat it.

6 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well i learned that anything is possible in Thailand...but i had cheese here brought from holland, never frozen, which got some mold after a while after i opened and closed it....

Then you will have imported the fungi spore along with the cheese. ????

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Then you will have imported the fungi spore along with the cheese. ????

I'm pretty sure that there also plenty of fungi in thailand which are everywhere and love to grow on cheese.

I'm no fungus expert but would you think that if i bring fresh dutch cheese to Isan for example where there are no fungus spores for dutch cheese the cheese won't get mould?

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

You absolutely totally cannot buy  Stilton here - cut from a whole cheese , correctly pampered - never ! 

Oh well the Stilton I had cut from the "wheel" of Stilton must have been an illusion. Can and have bought it here, but as for the "pampering", well I didn't know its mother, so can't say!

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

I'm pretty sure that there also plenty of fungi in thailand which are everywhere and love to grow on cheese.

I'm no fungus expert but would you think that if i bring fresh dutch cheese to Isan for example where there are no fungus spores for dutch cheese the cheese won't get mould?

There are thousand of different strains of fungi on this planet and they are actually essential for the environment to flourish. But each one has its is own special niche and they can only propagate if their particular niche (food if you like) is available.

The particular strain of fungi that would happily munch away on you packet of cheese is not present in this environment. Therefor no mould.

But if you bring a packet of cheese in from abroad and traces of the spore are in the packaging, which is very common, then you will see mould develop. Remember that fungi is often used in the maturing of cheese, so it would be almost impossible to completely eliminate it.

You've got me hankering after a bit of cheese now and don't have any in at the moment. ????

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Most Europeans, and also Christians in America, absolutely worship Kraft Cheeses ????

As you know, Christians are well aware that the good Lord was familiar with this food. His family operated a deli in the town .

image.jpeg.20ea7fafd187af7737246515ca644625.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

There are thousand of different strains of fungi on this planet and they are actually essential for the environment to flourish. But each one has its is own special niche and they can only propagate if their particular niche (food if you like) is available.

The particular strain of fungi that would happily munch away on you packet of cheese is not present in this environment. Therefor no mould.

But if you bring a packet of cheese in from abroad and traces of the spore are in the packaging, which is very common, then you will see mould develop. Remember that fungi is often used in the maturing of cheese, so it would be almost impossible to completely eliminate it.

You've got me hankering after a bit of cheese now and don't have any in at the moment. ????

So if i bring a vacuum pack (which i sterilise at the outside) of cheese to the mount everest it won't get mould there?

I never heard of this but it might be possible.

So i can also open this pack of california cheese and it won't get mold? I can try that since i want it out of the kitchen anyway..

1 hour ago, Thian said:

So if i bring a vacuum pack (which i sterilise at the outside) of cheese to the mount everest it won't get mould there?

I never heard of this but it might be possible.

So i can also open this pack of california cheese and it won't get mold? I can try that since i want it out of the kitchen anyway..

Well, fungi is a living organism and as such it need warmth, oxygen and moisture to propagate. If you've ever made bread or fermented beer or wine. you'd know what I mean.

Basically give it the right conditions and it grows.

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Well, fungi is a living organism and as such it need warmth, oxygen and moisture to propagate. If you've ever made bread or fermented beer or wine. you'd know what I mean.

Alright the mount everest was a bad example, so let's say i bring it to Ayers Rock in Australia, it's hot there and there has never been any dutch cheese before...so there's a big chance it won't get mould there?

17 minutes ago, Thian said:

Alright the mount everest was a bad example, so let's say i bring it to Ayers Rock in Australia, it's hot there and there has never been any dutch cheese before...so there's a big chance it won't get mould there?

Ok, I can give a practical example. Before moving here, I lived in Egypt. Hot and dry much like Australia. I used to buy import Dutch cheese there, mainly Gouda in vacuum sealed packs.

No mould at all until I opened the pack, then it would slowly begin to grow. The spore would have been in the pack, but dormant until I opened it.

But, not all cheese has fungi in the manufacturing process and not mold is fungi. It can also be bacteria. It's not as simple as we think.

If the cheese was in an opened pack in the fridge for six month, probably the cheese dried out before it could get molded.

Mold grows on foods containing water. And, since the cheese was shredded, the exposed surface is far greater so the drying process is also far quicker.

9 hours ago, hugocnx said:

If the cheese was in an opened pack in the fridge for six month, probably the cheese dried out before it could get molded.

Mold grows on foods containing water. And, since the cheese was shredded, the exposed surface is far greater so the drying process is also far quicker.

This cheese is in a ziplocked bag which i close of course before putting it in the fridge. I hate dried out cheese/butter/bread.

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Ok, I can give a practical example. Before moving here, I lived in Egypt. Hot and dry much like Australia. I used to buy import Dutch cheese there, mainly Gouda in vacuum sealed packs.

No mould at all until I opened the pack, then it would slowly begin to grow. The spore would have been in the pack, but dormant until I opened it.

But, not all cheese has fungi in the manufacturing process and not mold is fungi. It can also be bacteria. It's not as simple as we think.

Dutch Gouda cheese is not made with fungus as far as i know...it's milk curd with an enzyme from a calf's belly iirc which is pressed and let to ripen in a climate room.

38 minutes ago, Thian said:

Dutch Gouda cheese is not made with fungus as far as i know...it's milk curd with an enzyme from a calf's belly iirc which is pressed and let to ripen in a climate room.

Agreed. I think the general rule is 'hard cheeses' (e.g. Gouda) use bacterium, 'soft and blue cheese' (e.g. Stilton) use fungi. (often made in caves such as Roquefort. Been there!)

Anyway I think the answer to your question lies elsewhere in this thread. @scottiejohn in post #9 mentioned that they put chemicals onto grated cheese to prevent it sticking together. It's very likely that it leaves a coating that will prevent bacteria or fungi from attaching to the cheese. Just like the wax coating on a round of Edam.

Have a nice day.

38 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Anyway I think the answer to your question lies elsewhere in this thread. @scottiejohn in post #9 mentioned that they put chemicals onto grated cheese to prevent it sticking together. It's very likely that it leaves a coating that will prevent bacteria or fungi from attaching to the cheese. Just like the wax coating on a round of Edam.

Anybody correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere that grated parmesan cheese uses cellulose made of finely grinded wood into the cheese to stop it from lumping....I also read somewhere that indians also put that in their currypowder for same reason.

Well i'm no expert but i guess the cellulose is safe to eat or it wouldn't be sold in Holland in grated parmesan cheese.

The wax coating around Dutch cheese is to stop it from drying out too fast and to protect it from bacterials? I don't know exactly but i also like hard german cheese which is all natural and a reward winner, it has a very soft sticky crust...Don't know the function of that crust but hard cheese needs it during the ripening process.

Here you can see how they make Gouda. 10 litre milk gives 1 kg of cheese. Wait this was goatcheese.

Here is farmers gouda cheese

16 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Like a yeast infection you mean?

16 hours ago, Thian said:

Ayers Rock is now Uluru and is closed to non-indigenous people and their scientific experiments.

But not to totally waste the trip, maybe see if the dingo's will eat it?

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ayers Rock is now Uluru and is closed to non-indigenous people and their scientific experiments.

But not to totally waste the trip, maybe see if the dingo's will eat it?

I can go to the next rock, plenty of them in that area and the other ones are exactly the same but nobody visits them.

17 hours ago, Thian said:

This cheese is in a ziplocked bag which i close of course before putting it in the fridge. I hate dried out cheese/butter/bread.

Your opening statement "This cheese was in our fridge for 6 months, an opened bag....." After opening ziplocked. Got it.

A ziplock bag is just to give you the idea that you kind of packed it again like original or sort of airtight. It is not. And at least not for 6 months.

Why you bought it in the first place and then store it in your fridge for 6 months.

4 hours ago, hugocnx said:

Your opening statement "This cheese was in our fridge for 6 months, an opened bag....." After opening ziplocked. Got it.

A ziplock bag is just to give you the idea that you kind of packed it again like original or sort of airtight. It is not. And at least not for 6 months.

Why you bought it in the first place and then store it in your fridge for 6 months.

I bought it in Foodland because it was in promotion, pay 1 get 2 bags...

And when i went abroad my wife didn't eat it so it got lost in our very large fridge.

Archived