Immigration chief: Don't scare the tourists away by being too strict - we need them and their money

webfact

8 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I agree 100%. Now tell my neighbours, officials and such. They wonder why i scare them back and its putely because of the amount of cash ive splashed out here over the decades. I dont want special treatment but would like my family not have to be raided checking for drugs and guns or have tourist police out to check all because my inbred neighbours feel inferior and have to act like children and lie to authorities in the hopes of being booted out of the country because my neighbours think they are going to get our farming machinery, land and such. 

Crazy but true! And no i dont have guns or drugs but thats what ive had to deal with this past year. Insane!

Whats worse you can have video evidence and make countless police reports of fake police reports made and even the police believe us but no action is taken and this is why it doesnt change. It's embarassing to Thailand. If i was in a better financial situation i would hav3 left already. One things for sure though and that is my family stopped coming many times a year years ago because they dont feel safe.

What province do you live?

8 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

I agree 100%. Now tell my neighbours, officials and such. They wonder why i scare them back and its putely because of the amount of cash ive splashed out here over the decades. I dont want special treatment but would like my family not have to be raided checking for drugs and guns or have tourist police out to check all because my inbred neighbours feel inferior and have to act like children and lie to authorities in the hopes of being booted out of the country because my neighbours think they are going to get our farming machinery, land and such. 

Crazy but true! And no i dont have guns or drugs but thats what ive had to deal with this past year. Insane!

Whats worse you can have video evidence and make countless police reports of fake police reports made and even the police believe us but no action is taken and this is why it doesnt change. It's embarassing to Thailand. If i was in a better financial situation i would hav3 left already. One things for sure though and that is my family stopped coming many times a year years ago because they dont feel safe.

Glad I don’t live where you do. I feel very safe in Thailand.

36 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I first visited Thailand in 1984 and have been a regular visitor sine 1999.

Not once have I ever seen an IO smile or say welcome to Thailand when he's checked my passport and visa. Not once on what must be around 50 occasions!

I fly in-out approximately 12 times a year from Swampy. During my 6 years of traveling here, I can remember being warmly welcomed 5 times by male IOs. And during my first trips I asked a female IO out for a date (before the coup, when things were more relaxed.) I was not successful with the IO but instead went to dinner with a young security guard .. lady. But 85% of the time they give you the cold stone-face. Some grumpy Tomboy-IOs give the 'I hate you' face, but whatever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crossy said:

The campaign worked in the UK https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2659948/Tesco-to-ditch-ten-items-or-less-sign-after-good-grammar-campaign.html sort of, only in new stores.

I suppose we really ought to get back on topic.

Aww, come on. This is actually a much more interesting topic than the typical complaints about tourism. You see, the "less" that is being referred to here, is actually just fine in context in the USA. The context is as follows:

I have fewer items.

I have less than 10 items.

You could, in theory, also say "I have fewer than 10 items", but nobody does, except maybe in the old English dialect used in the UK and other backwards looking countries.

So "less" should not be intereprested as an incorrect replacement of fewer. It is a shortened form of "less than".  You may say that this is breaking a rule in England, but it does not break a rule in the American dialect. It comes about from studying math (note the word is math singular, not "maths") where you commonly say things like "6 is less than 10". In this case, both 6 and 10 are nouns, but because of the similarity in speech patterns, this has become the typical construct in the USA when using the comparative conjunction "than".

At the same time, nobody in the USA would say "I have less items". That would be wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not convinced they discriminate between an expat and a tourist.

We're all tourists to them.

Bang ... to me, you hit the head on the nail!

Doesn't matter whether 3 month, 6 month, 1 year or 10 years ... it's all the same 'tourist' pot.

The statement in the headline is a welcoming return from what we were used with ongoing strong negative language over the past few years.

The same as last week, now positive statements like ".... we need more professional english teachers to bring our skills up", as opposed to the past couple of years "....we don't need english teachers, we teach Thais to teach Thais."

Slowly, but steadily, the language is changing. I sense it all is about to peak and some penny's start to drop.

There is a lot of news to digest, but not all is to be read on here.

I see for more than a week daily Thai News about a corrupted politician with her 46 rai of land and chicken farm without chanote tile and people are questioning it etc. 

The police, politicians and news are all over it ... I tried to read up on this forum news feed, didn't see details of it. 

I see on Thai TV that people are leaving the parlament during discussions to make a statement against Mr. General ... didn't see it in my daily forum news.

What I read on the forum is once again another guy got caught on 5 day overstay (a constant for the past couple of month)

... but that however, I didn't see on Thai News on the Tellie.

So at this point, I don't really care about forum posts as from people like SmartyMarty, defending tourist numbers and Thailand.

There is a shift coming ... and Thai people are starting to raise their voice. 

Any change of language, like the one in this headline, is a welcome positive direction ... it's something which has been missing for the past couple of years.

And I don't read this as only tourists ... tourists never have been limited much by immigration. 

When I read headlines like this .. it's like BritMantoo says ... we are all tourists, whether expects or not ... and they start to recognize it. 

Thais themselves are not that blind for long ... they also know when it's time for a change.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's only words. Don't worry. He has done his part, without actually doing anything, by being able to say that when things (continue) to go tits-up he warned it would happen. Meanwhile it'll be business as usual. No-one will actually take any notice of what he says, nor does he expect them to. That's the way things always work in Thailand.

I think he is just doing the "Sit on the Fence" routine,

until he gets the positive "NOD" from a higher up,

so he knows which way to fall off the fence.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kelboy said:

It's all to late,all the tourist have heard and are going elsewhere. Also saving a lot of money. 

So immigration officers at BKK and DMK will finally stop rejecting legitimate tourists on SETV and METV instead of the number of reports we've had on this forum of people being rejected? If so, that's great news for once!

11 hours ago, keith101 said:

What and expats living here do nothing for the economy , maybe you should look at ways of helping us instead of making it harder .

He talk about tourists, not expats - a small but significant difference ... :thumbsup:

• Haha 1