Is Grab car active in TH? Cost of transport concern

3road

Hi,

I have a 2 weeks stay in TH in Jan with my parents (actually 4 people, me and gf and my elderly parents).

Ma dad walks with a walking stick so we cant take the Public metro I guess, we will rely on Taxi, Tuk Tuks and GRab.

IS Grab Car actually active in TH? I live in Vietnam and here Grab car is very convenient and much cheaper than regular taxis.

I am concerned about the overall cost of taking taxis every day, if Grab isn't an option.

thanks a lot

10 minutes ago, ThaiCelt said:

I don't think it's cheaper than a normal metered cab but IMHO the service is better and widely available in BKK.

I agree, plus you don't have to worry about them not wanting to use the meter or not wanting to go to your destination etc.  I have used Grab in Bangkok too and never yet had a crazed meth head for a Grab driver either.  I'd venture to say they are safer as well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Grab is very good - you can order a 7 seater - so extra room for your Dad -  on the APP avoid grab car - go for taxi - my experience- ordering two or three times a week - the drivers are friendly and will really help ( it’s the Thai way ) .

Have a fab holiday with your Dad .

All the best 

• Like 2

I've used Grab in Bkk, Pattaya and Hua Hin. Works fine unless you want a pickup from several kilometres out of their regular town area, then they not so keen to come to you. Which is fair enough. 

Definitely cheaper than meter taxis except in times of high demand when the phone app ramps the prices up. Drivers 95 pct polite. I definitely recommend. Please give them a small cash tip in the car or on the phone app afterwards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

I agree, plus you don't have to worry about them not wanting to use the meter or not wanting to go to your destination etc.  I have used Grab in Bangkok too and never yet had a crazed meth head for a Grab driver either.  I'd venture to say they are safer as well.

Which only seems to happen on TVF. 
Just flag a taxi down and let them know where you are going by opening the back door and get in and by the  time you are all in the meter will be set and you are off!  Funny I use Bangkok taxis at least 5/6 times a week for over 15 years and never had a meth head. Your posting is just so full of urban myth. Oh that would be urban meth for you!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

Taxis in Vietnam are expensive compared to Thailand. So if you find Grab cabs in Vietnam cheap, regular taxis, in Bangkok at least, are even cheaper. 

I just took a grab from central district 1 in HCMC to the airport today  for $3.23USD. Not sure how much cheaper you can get. 

13 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Which only seems to happen on TVF. 
Just flag a taxi down and let them know where you are going by opening the back door and get in and by the  time you are all in the meter will be set and you are off!  Funny I use Bangkok taxis at least 5/6 times a week for over 15 years and never had a meth head. Your posting is just so full of urban myth. Oh that would be urban meth for you!  

You must be a bit luckier than me with taxis in Bangkok.  I always get a metered taxi from the airport to my destination but going back to the airport is another story.  They either don't have a working meter (some) or they will try to bargain for a fixed price and decline to use the meter at which point I just walk away. 

Jumping in the back without confirming that they will use the meter (or even take you to where you want to go) is not how it's done IMO and can end in an argument later when he drives off and then tells you that the meter is broken and this is how much you will pay etc.  Been there, done that and learned my lesson.

My last taxi ride from Asoke to DMK airport was with a younger driver with pupils the size of quarters (it was 400 baht because "meter not work") and had the music blasting.  Normally I would have passed on this one but I was running late and just wanted to get on with it.  He was driving like an absolute suicidal maniac and I had to yell at him to slow down several times and drive safely or I was going to get out (on the tollway). 

He laughed and said "Okay, okay I slow but you pay 500 baht" I said no, you slow or I pay 200 baht.  He then drove normally to the airport but that was my last taxi ride in BKK.  I use Grab now. 

So you can take your urban Meth and smoke it Alex.  That driver was on Meth or Yaba and I have no doubts about that.

Edited by MeePeeMai

18 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

I just took a grab from central district 1 in HCMC to the airport today  for $3.23USD. Not sure how much cheaper you can get. 

A Grab bike or a regular cab? I remember paying 170000 dong (7$) for a Mailinh taxi from district 1 to the airporta couple of years ago, a trip that is only 7km,at a time when Suvarnaphumi to downtown Bkk (almost 30km)would have cost you only slightly more. Just last month I arrived at Can Tho International Airport and my Grab app showed 140k for cab and 49 k for a bike to downtown Cần Thơ (10km).Although Grab Vietnam gives considerable discounts for digital payments instead of cash. That 49k cash bike ride would have been only 29k had I paid with grab wallet, but not so sure if foreigners can use that service. 

38 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

You must be a bit luckier than me with taxis in Bangkok.  I always get a metered taxi from the airport to my destination but going back to the airport is another story.  They either don't have a working meter (some) or they will try to bargain for a fixed price and decline to use the meter at which point I just walk away. 

Jumping in the back without confirming that they will use the meter (or even take you to where you want to go) is not how it's done IMO and can end in an argument later when he drives off and then tells you that the meter is broken and this is how much you will pay etc.  Been there, done that and learned my lesson.

My last taxi ride from Asoke to DMK airport was with a younger driver with pupils the size of quarters (it was 400 baht because "meter not work") and had the music blasting.  Normally I would have passed on this one but I was running late and just wanted to get on with it.  He was driving like an absolute suicidal maniac and I had to yell at him to slow down several times and drive safely or I was going to get out (on the tollway). 

He laughed and said "Okay, okay I slow but you pay 500 baht" I said no, you slow or I pay 200 baht.  He then drove normally to the airport but that was my last taxi ride in BKK.  I use Grab now. 

So you can take your urban Meth and smoke it Alex.  That driver was on Meth or Yaba and I have no doubts about that.

Oh please such an experience. Here’s what you do : flag a taxi down , open the back door , say Sawadee Khrap bai Suvarnabumi khrap, and as you are saying this start to get in and they flag the meter. I don’t even see their eyes and the only reason you do is because you are speaking to them through the passenger front window!! THAT is a newbie mistake. I’ve never had the broken meter story. You are truly jinxed!  Also youR meth theory or urban myth is that meth and other opioids make your pupils like pin points!  Your pupils the size of quarters is now hilarious!! Stop with the myths Mr and the meth. 

Edited by alex8912

1 minute ago, thecyclist said:

A Grab bike or a regular cab? I remember paying 170000 dong (7$) for a Mailinh taxi from district 1 to the airporta couple of years ago, a trip that is only 7km,at a time when Suvarnaphumi to downtown Bkk (almost 30km)would have cost you only slightly more. Just last month I arrived at Can Tho International Airport and my Grab app showed 140k for cab and 49 k for a bike to downtown Cần Thơ (10km).Although Grab Vietnam gives considerable discounts for digital payments instead of cash. That 49k cash bike ride would have been only 29k had I paid with grab wallet, but not so sure if foreigners can use that service. 

A real car/ taxi. I took it this afternoon at 2 pm in HCMC. IT was my first grab taxi I added app yesterday. 75,000 dong. I checked yesterday the price was 75-79,000 as well. 

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh please such an experience. Here’s what you do : flag a taxi down , open the back door , say Sawadee Khrap bai Suvarnabumi and as you are saying this start to get in and they flag the meter. I don’t even see their eyes and the only reason you do is because you are speaking to them through the passenger front window!! THAT is a newbie mistake. I’ve never had the broken meter story. You are truly jinxed! 

Oh come on Alex, I've been in Taxis in Bangkok that have a meter barely glued to the dash flopping around with not one wire going into it so it's not even possible to turn it on (it's just a prop).  My wife (who is Thai) would never just jump into a taxi without making sure that he will use the meter and take us where we want to go (is she a newbie?).

Sometimes in BKK when you tell the driver where you want to go, he just says "no" and drives off because you were on the wrong side of the street (e.g. Witthayu Rd.) or he doesn't want a short or a long run etc... so jumping in and telling them where you want to go does not in anyway assure you that they will use the meter (if it even works).

Maybe you have a keen eye for the real taxis but I have been in several that were nothing more than a poor attempt at making a car look like a taxi and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Oh come on Alex, I've been in Taxis in Bangkok that have a meter barely glued to the dash flopping around with not one wire going into it so it's not even possible to turn it on (it's just a prop).  My wife (who is Thai) would never just jump into a taxi without making sure that he will use the meter and take us where we want to go (is she a newbie?).

Sometimes in BKK when you tell the driver where you want to go, he just says "no" and drives off because you were on the wrong side of the street (e.g. Witthayu Rd.) or he doesn't want a short or a long run etc... so jumping in and telling them where you want to go does not in anyway assure you that they will use the meter (if it even works).

Maybe you have a keen eye for the real taxis but I have been in several that were nothing more than a poor attempt at making a car look like a taxi and nothing more.

Silly. She sounds like a newbie. Also read my post above about your meth story please! Also can’t you tell a new taxi from an old one?  I bet 3 out of 4 I see are newer with newer meters. If your eyes are so good to see their pupils lol you can certainly see a new one coming to flag down instead of flagging down the old jalopies you and your wife seem to attract. 

Edited by alex8912

5 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Silly. She sounds like a newbie. Also read my post above about your meth story please! Also can’t you tell a new taxi from an old one?  I bet 3 out of 4 I see are newer with newer meters. If your eyes are so good to see their pupils lol you can certainly see a new one coming to flag down instead of flagging down the old jalopies you and your wife seem to attract. 

I'm glad to hear that THE taxi expert in Bangkok has so much faith in and has such a high opinion of the taxi drivers here but unfortunately, I do not share your enthusiasm or your faith in them or their equipment.  I am not alone in my opinion either but you just carry on and continue to preach about how their great service is and how trustworthy they are.  I am not a believer anymore.

32 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Also youR meth theory or urban myth is that meth and other opioids make your pupils like pin points!  Your pupils the size of quarters is now hilarious!! Stop with the myths Mr and the meth. 

Wow it really amazes me how stupid some people really are. 

FYI, The use of "stimulants" (or "uppers" in other words), such as meth and cocaine will make the pupils dilated (or "larger than normal" if you are unfamiliar with the term). 

"Depressants" (or downers" such as heroin etc.) will make the pupils constricted (or smaller than normal). 

This is not an urban myth, nor is it an urban meth as you put it.  It is a proven and well known medical fact and is how police officers around the world are trained to spot someone who might be high on either (yes it is that reliable).  Have you checked yours lately? 

Now get get back under your bridge you troll, I'm finished with your nonsense.

2 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

FYI, The use of "stimulants" (or "uppers" in other words), such as meth and cocaine will make the pupils dilated (or "larger than normal" if you are unfamiliar with the term). 

"Depressants" (or downers" such as heroin etc.) will make the pupils constricted (or smaller than normal). 

This is not an urban myth, nor is it an urban meth as you put it.  It is a proven and well known medical fact and is how police officers around the world are trained to spot someone who might be high on either (yes it is that reliable).  Have you checked yours lately? 

Meth and opioids make them pinpoints just google it. You are wrong. 

Edited by alex8912

9 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

This is about Taxis/ Grab taxi. 

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Meth and opioids make them pinpoints just google it. You are wrong .

Nice to see that you have such faith in yourself (as well as the BKK taxi crew) but you are both losers in my book. 

I learned to spot these symptoms in police recruit school some 38 years ago.  You are the 1st person that I have ever heard to say that Meth causes the constricted (or pinpoint) pupils as meth is a stimulant ... hint hint: (meth) "amphetamine" is a stimulant which causes dilated, not pinpoint (or constricted) pupils.

Signs and Symptoms of Methamphetamine Use

The user is likely to get overheated and may appear sweaty without it being hot or his being involved in physical exertion. His pupils will be dilated. His blood pressure will also increase. He or she may become sexually excited.

https://www.narconon.org/drug-abuse/signs-symptoms-meth-use.html

What Happens When People Abuse the Drug?

Methamphetamine is a very strong stimulant. With some methods of administration, there is a fast “rush” of euphoria followed by a long period of less intense euphoria. When meth is ingested, there is no rush but the high may last for as long as ten hours.

The user feels more energetic, does not sleep for long periods, usually several days, and loses his or her appetite. It is common for meth addicts to lose large amounts of weight and look gaunt, thin and undernourished. He or she will probably appear unusually active but may also act nervous and anxious.

The user is likely to get overheated and may appear sweaty without it being hot or his being involved in physical exertion. His pupils will be dilated. His blood pressure will also increase. He or she may become sexually excited.