Keep calling!: Public urged to report on overstaying foreigners as Brit arrested

webfact

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

I think you will find the ones who want to feel manly are the ones licking the boots, but never mind ???? 

Seems like you are the one that is after validation not me 

What validation? Sitting here and answer post from other members that already knows my stance? No, I just see that kind of validation as stupidity from my fellow human beeings. Cheers!

For what it's worth.. 

My coach here is a retired police officer who's brother is still currently an immigration officer. 

Over dinner one night this sort of topic came up and the brother told me that the amount of "immigration tips" they recieve in regard to illegal workers and overstayers are probably 60/40 Thai/English. And not broken Thai English either. Meaning close to as many foreigners are calling immigration on one another as Thai's calling immigration on farang. 

Is he exaggerating? No idea, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, losername said:

I don't have knowledge of the police in many countries but in the UK information provided by the public is an essential part of the law enforcement process.  It enables officers to spend their valuable time attending tasks where they are actually needed rather than simply patrolling looking for incidents.  Some may feel that there is no direct comparison between the British police and the various branches of the RTP.  It's Stasi by the way.

"You do not have to say anything but if you do say anything it may be taken down and used as evidence in a court of law, do you wish to make a statement"

"Please don't hit me again officer"

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Funny some of the responses by posters making them appear ignorant. They making it seem like this is the only place on the planet wanting to remove illegals. There are numerous hotlines in the US to report illegal foreigners working that are not citizens or working with fake SSN's to get them deported.

None of these cases are for working illegally, or entering illegally.

They are for overstaying visas, completely different scenarios to what happens in the west

6 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

The report urged the public to report illegal foreigners on the 1178 hotline with premium 1OOO baths

Not forget.....

What has 1000 premium baths got to do with it. Are they giving them away to people? Personally I dont like a bath I prefer a shower.

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

They are for overstaying visas, completely different scenarios to what happens in the west

My argument is, Is the guy here illegally now? Yes. Then people reporting him as an illegal are warranted. Its not about Thais wanting foreigners out. My point being, this is not exclusive to Thailand and all these foreigners screaming at the top of their lungs feeling victimized is pretty weak IMHO. 

Foreigners on the up and up do not have issues. Its the dodgy, over staying foreigners  that do. 

2 hours ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Many of the people that are reported in the US can be considered overstaying their visas.  According to a NY Times article published earlier this month, approximately 1/2 of the illegal immigrants in the US entered legally.

What I find scandalous and those policemen who are prance of having found an alien thug who is perhaps not excluded has simply forgotten to ask for an extension of his visa, after a certain age it is possible for many to have memory problems or first step Alzheimer. But coincidentally, with all the drug traffickers arrested there is no souvenir photo put in the newspapers. And scandalous is worthy only of a dictator government of asking and offering rewards for taking the Farang in overstay, if Thais adore this and congratulate themselves as here on this forum only means that they deserve the government they have.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Keep calling!: Public urged to report on overstaying foreigners as Brit arreste

That sounds like Fake News to me. How is the public going to know that one is Overstaying? Are we All going to be stopped by the Public and being asked to show our Passport with the Extension of stay so they can check ? Not on you're Nelly I can tell you that now. :wai:

8 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I assume that must be because immigration are either incapable or too lazy to do the job themselves. Even though they now have an all-singing-all-dancing two-billion Baht biometric system that can pinpoint a foreigner before they even commit a crime.

Probably but they know that the Thais just love to grass up a farang 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I thought there was a strange smell emanating from the forum today, then I realised it's your attitude, it stinks.

You must have a state of the art prototype router, or it can just be another part related to the human body that is malfunctioning.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

In the latest arrest a 55 year old British man called James Flear was arrested in Surin on a 105 day overstay.

Okay I get it, immigration doing their job which is fine.

But to have make it headline news each and every time is getting rather tedious, I don't know of any other country in the world that makes a poster, and have it on the news channel and almost every other type of media.

• Like 1

Well, it is a matter of time then when they will start shooting at us.

Is anyone at the Thai immigration aware of the fact, that tens of thousands of h0okres, females, males and transgender, are overstaying all over Europe while plying their trade which is apparently not existing in the Land of Smiles? 

While you try to make ends meet, the immigration boys come along and move the ends. Simplify the procedure into a visa free period, a tourist visa for THB 2K and a one-year visa for THB 10K, all including multiple re-entry. Thousands of brown uniformed so-overly-important immigration officers could be used elsewhere for some more productive work, the paper avalanche would trickle down to more manageable sizes and so tourism-damaging headlines like "haunting for overstayers" would be not appearing anymore. 

• Like 2

Putting reporting/non reporting aside, how difficult is it to stay legal if you meet the immigration requirements? Don’t understand the overstay syndrome unless individuals don’t meet the requirements , are up to no good or are totally absent minded. Not sure I know of any other country in the world where you can waltz in on a visa or exemption and just stay as long as you like.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Will27 said:
23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Like I've previously said, I've got no drama's with them catching overstayers.

But it's the unbridled joy show by Immigration, the media (and Matzzon) that's get's up my nose.

I mean what's with the "perp walk"?

It's like the FBI has just caught a serial killer.

Just do your job and get on with it.

I was merely illustrating that another member's post comparing Thailand's Immigration location procedures with the Stazi, was over-the-top hysteria, and out of touch with reality.  Dob in lines exist everywhere.

I wasn't siding with another particular poster's opinions, nor advocating the way Thai Immigration continually seek publicity by parading clients for the media. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Is anyone at the Thai immigration aware of the fact, that tens of thousands of h0okres, females, males and transgender, are overstaying all over Europe while plying their trade which is apparently not existing in the Land of Smiles? 

Why aren't you hot footing it back to live in your version of utopia rather than trying to change this place to match?

14 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Simplify the procedure into a visa free period, a tourist visa for THB 2K and a one-year visa for THB 10K, all including multiple re-entry.

An interesting concept. I'm unsure what you mean by a "visa free period" nor how charging tourists 2k would stop people overstaying, but I do think it would restrict the numbers of genuine tourist arriving thereby affecting Thailand's economy. 

The idea of increasing the cost of a 1 year visa from 1.9k to 10k is interesting. It would negate the need for the Elite visa. Personally I would be happy to pay that if I wasn't forced to buy useless insurance for about 80k!

On 12/18/2019 at 9:36 AM, BestB said:

Basically they asking wife’s and gf’s to dobb in their men. How else would anyone else know of someone’s visa situation.

good black mail ammunition , give me what I want or I call you in. You not pay enough and I call you in, you cheat on me and I call you in.

what ever happened to TM30 being bulletproof to catch all illegals ?

just renewed my 90 day online still no mention of a tm 30, left the country inAugust back october different tm6 etc etc

On 12/18/2019 at 10:48 AM, holy cow cm said:

And this right here is a play right of the Chinese program. Report your neighbors or anyone from not in your area.

There is no such programme in China. There are of course lines for reporting crime as in any country in the world. Overstaying your visa is a crime anywhere.

With the urbanization programme in China in full flood, the phones would be ringing off the hook (harking back to the days when phones had hooks), if everyone was reporting people from out of the area.

On 12/18/2019 at 10:36 AM, BestB said:

Basically they asking wife’s and gf’s to dobb in their men. How else would anyone else know of someone’s visa situation.

Because it's a matter of record? If you're not stamped out, you're still in.

Isn't it obvious?

5 minutes ago, Traubert said:

There is no such programme in China. There are of course lines for reporting crime as in any country in the world. Overstaying your visa is a crime anywhere.

With the urbanization programme in China in full flood, the phones would be ringing off the hook (harking back to the days when phones had hooks), if everyone was reporting people from out of the area.

China actually had an interesting old law, which is now being actively enforced. Visitors need to make the equivalent of a tm30 (or in case of staying at a hotel, the hotel will do so). Without a tm30, entry to the country is denied upon next visit. Can you imagine the outrage if Thailand implements that measure in stead of the current fine?!