Schoolboy, 13, allegedly shot dead by classmate

webfact

56 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I feel sorry for both parties involved, firstly for the bullied boy who obviously had to put up with being harassed everyday and not have it dealt with properly by teachers or authorities, secondly for the dead bully, he deserved some sort of punishment for his questionable actions but not death.

Guns are portrayed in every aspect of Thai life, look at the drama's on TV.. violence using guns/knives/weapons is common practice which actually portrays real street life accurately as we see in the news or media.

Guns and other weapon violence, martial arts type choreographed violence, sexual and racial violence etc etc are featured on most if not all TV channels in the world; many Hollywood, Bollywood, HK, Chinese and other film productions and large numbers of computer games. It's entertainment for significant numbers of the population.

It's far from being unique to Thailand.

Banning things doesn't work - illegal drugs, guns and knives in some countries etc.

These are global societal problems caused by human nature. 

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Sadly, the victim is dead.  No amount of luck will change that.

Guns should be licenced if legal and placed in secure storage.  The parent was obviously negligent by allowing access to his son and should be held accountable.

No, the victim is alive, the shooter kid.

The bully got shot and now has a new title, dead bully.

Tragic yes, but unless parents and schools identify and stop bulliyng, these stories will escalate as kids are forced into violent behaviour patterns and actions.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Deli said:

If you blame the father, you need to blame the teacher(s) as well the same, as they allowed the bullying and made this happen

And also the parents of the bully for not instilling decent values into their son. But, then again, they now have a lot of tearful years to think about that.

I think the education authorities have a lot of questions to answer here

Were the teachers aware of the bullying and the level of distress to the perpetrator

If they were aware, what if anything did they do to make the school safe for all students?

How was the perpetrator able to access his fathers gun, it was obviously not secured?

Were the perpetrators parents aware that their son was an alleged victim of bullying, what did they do to protect their son?

Sad loss for all concerned, but the school needs to look at their role in all this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jinjo said:

Being an American I feel America needs to be defended, but as usual our so called friends are late as usual... So why would it bother anyone that someone has the ability to protect himself and others if need be.  With America's 2nd Amendment it has armed it self against all enemies foreign and domestic...  If you want to ban something that is causing needless loss of lives, oh I dare say SPEECH itself...

Q. Against what do you need a gun to defend yourself?

A. Against another person with a gun.

Q. Why does that other person have a gun?

A. To protect himself against another person with a gun,

Or,

A. To commit illegal acts, (unspecified)

Or,

A. He thinks it's cool to own a deadly piece of machinery whose only purpose is destructive.

Maybe the solution has nothing to do with allowing or disallowing the possession of guns, especially handguns. Maybe the answer is to disallow the manufacture, distribution, advertising, and general glorification by way of entertainments, of guns: with dire penalties for those who profit from such trade. Including governments!

3 hours ago, Rabbi said:

I am distressed that the Bully got shot and may he RIP but what was the boy to do given that he apparently had easy access to a gun and must have been disturbed by the victims actions.

I read a very good book recently . a novel by Jodi Picoult and it was true to this story.  A boy is bullied from junior school to senior. His parents for 5 years were telling him to stand up for himself . That is what he did , the only way he knew how , he got a gun.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I was wrong. In 2017 Thailand is BEHIND the US. The most 2nd and 3rd world countries too - except them in middle or south America plus South Africa.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

US.JPG

The Phillippines number one, not so difficult sinds Dutarte as President, he shoots everything that is loose and stuck.

2 hours ago, dinsdale said:

These games as you say are played world wide and following your arguement violent murders should happen at the same rate per capita as it does let's say in the USA. This is clearly not the case. South Korea has the highest gaming revinue rate in the world yet homicides are few. This can be compared with just one US city.

There were 356 homicides in South Korea in 2016, a nation of 51 million, according to South Korea's National Police Agency. By contrast, there were 762 murders that year in Chicago alone, a city of about 2.7 million people. (Googled. Bold type from lift)

Japan, England, Australia, Canada the list goes on are all countries with high consumption of video games but with relitively few violent gun deaths.

Availability of guns and mental health issues should be the focus. 

Many things to consider here.  I don't know if South Koreans could be considered the norm when considering the majority of the world's population and as to the murder ratio, in my home town there were 10 murders last year with a population of 20,000.  Stats are rubbery at the best.

22 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

School vicitimisation is becomming a problem in some of the international schools on Phuket too.

Lack of dicipline seems to be the cause.

Good luck to the victim.

The father should be arrested and locked up for failure to prevent a minor gaing access to a firearm.

Go directly to jail father and do not pass Go!

No tolerance for that kind of thing at NIS here in CM.  School has seriously rich (who want a more realistic down to earth education) and those barely making it to keep their kid here.  No HiSo "stuff".  A real find for us.

Edited by DrPhibes
oops, language

5 hours ago, Fancyzancy said:

Just what brings you to say American culture coming to Thailand, There are many issues from around the world. 

:huh:

The US has had 57 times as many school shootings as the other major industrialized nations combined

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/21/us/school-shooting-us-versus-world-trnd/index.html

180522094603-t1-us-intl-shooting-list-su

• Like 2

Parental Guidance is where most Fail, which is why you see Gang violence everywhere.

If no responsibility taken at Home, Kids will find a Gang Family for the attention they need. 

Most parents have no clue, of what their kids are doing, on line or at school.

Communication between real people, have been replaced by PHONES, and the NET.

Which is why kids are losing their ability to communicate or relate, in real life situations.

I have never seen a Gun, Hatchet, or Knife, Jump up and attack someone.

My Opinion is that:

If either of these Kids were talking to their Family, this would not have happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, car720 said:

Many things to consider here.  I don't know if South Koreans could be considered the norm when considering the majority of the world's population and as to the murder ratio, in my home town there were 10 murders last year with a population of 20,000.  Stats are rubbery at the best.

The stats aren't rubbery (violent gun deaths are violent gun deaths) and research has shown no or little causation between violent computer games and violent gun murders. I've killed thousands of pixel people. Billions if you count the pixels yet I have absolutely no thoughts of killing in the real world. The only enjoyment I get from killing is in computer games and mozzies. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kingdong said:

Well it's a great pity these teachers don,t use their sticks and use them to instil discipline into bullies,then perhaps this tragedy wouldn,t have occurred.

"Ok, children.  Today we're going to learn how to deal with anyone that steps out of line.  GET A STICK AND BEAT THEM UP!"

Yeh,  That should work.

23 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

I was wrong. In 2017 Thailand is BEHIND the US. The most 2nd and 3rd world countries too - except them in middle or south America plus South Africa.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

US.JPG

All the men thinking about a relo to Philippines please note.

• Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, CNXexpat said:

In Thailand die more people from guns than in the US and the US are on the top of the 1st word countries.

I am curious if the father of the boy owns the gun legally and why it´s so easy to reach for a child. He has go to prison.

And so  if your kid takes your car and kills someone you should go to jail ???

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

That's really comparing chalk and cheese.  One is a form of transport and the other is a lethal weapon which should be in a secure storage.

Don't come back with "a car is a lethal weapon in the wrong hands".  Of course it is but it's primary use is not a weapon.

Stupid argument.

49 minutes ago, sangtip2 said:

If you leave your car with the engine running, and the door open, and let your kid play around it while you go sit inside for a couple of hours.... then YES.

Isn't it part of the law that you keep your gun in a safe and secure place? 

If so, the kid should not be able to reach it. 

The kid did get it, meaning it wasn't safe and secure (by definition).

So the parent is partly to blame.

(there is no law that tell you to keep your car keys in a safe at all times)