Got a pink ID card today, no trouble

On 12/22/2019 at 9:21 AM, john terry1001 said:

It might sound reasonable but its not true. Any official ID such as the pink card is acceptable. And, as for the pink card not showing your visa status when you present it, the police have a phone number they can call from the roadside to check and confirm your ID card number against your visa status straight away.

This is absolutely wrong information!!

After obtaining your yellow house book, then a Pink ID card can be issued.

This is in "no way' tied to your immigration status (Visa, extension, TM30 or otherwise). Immigration use your Passport details only, and your pink ID card details are not, so for the police to call a number, allegedly to confirm your visa status off your pink ID is very wrong information. Please check your facts in the future, so TV readers do not get mixed signals.

Note::::But one way your pink ID card can be used at immigration is at the 90 days desk.

I gave my Pink ID card to prove my address, but my 90 days must still be done with my passport of course.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, thainet said:

This is in "no way' tied to your immigration status (Visa, extension, TM30 or otherwise). Immigration use your Passport details only, and your pink ID card details are not, so for the police to call a number, allegedly to confirm your visa status off your pink ID is very wrong information. Please check your facts in the future, so TV readers do not get mixed signals.

Note::::But one way your pink ID card can be used at immigration is at the 90 days desk.

I gave my Pink ID card to prove my address, but my 90 days must still be done with my passport of course.

In my post #115, I said:

"The only way they could connect you back to your Latin name would be if the house registration department also entered your Latin name on the same entry as the house book details?"

Now I have no idea which government departments share information with others, but it couldn't be impossible to do, if your Latin name was entered into the system when applying for a yellow house book.

Now whether that happens or not I have no idea, but surely it can't be ruled out as a way it could work.

Then the police could use your Latin name (and DOB from the pink card) to find your visa status in the immigration police system.

11 hours ago, thainet said:

I've never had to show my address when doing a 90 day report.

I received my Thai ID card many years ago, but since then have moved from the residence for which I have my yellow house book for, and for where my Pink ID card shows as my residence.  Not sure what now needs to be done, or if I can change the address on the ID card at the local government office, or if I would need to have a new yellow book for where I now live (Rent).  The prior residence is still in the family and is where my daughter lives when she is here.  I just could not live in such a small Udon Thani province anymore as I enjoy living in a bustling metropolitan Area, such as Bangkok.  Opening a new bank account and registering at the local Nonthaburi Immigration office was easy and they both used my pink ID card.  I asked the IO and he had no clue as everything is tied back to my original Amphur office and the yellow book residence.  He just said I have to register at the local IO wherever I live and do the 90 day reports there.  I guess that's how Thais live all over, but there ID says there home province.

Anybody know the answer to changing the address ?

Edited by ThailandRyan
Update

22 hours ago, thainet said:
On 12/22/2019 at 9:21 AM, john terry1001 said:

It might sound reasonable but its not true. Any official ID such as the pink card is acceptable. And, as for the pink card not showing your visa status when you present it, the police have a phone number they can call from the roadside to check and confirm your ID card number against your visa status straight away.

What I said is correct.

What you say here is incorrect!!  Immigration use your Passport details only, and your pink ID card details are not

Your Thai ID number is tagged to your file held by Immigration. So inputting your ID number only is enough to access your current visa status and registered address etc. and that option is definitely available to the police.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Now I have no idea which government departments share information with others, but it couldn't be impossible to do, if your Latin name was entered into the system when applying for a yellow house book.

Now whether that happens or not I have no idea, but surely it can't be ruled out as a way it could work.

Then the police could use your Latin name (and DOB from the pink card) to find your visa status in the immigration

The police do have access to some information held on your personal file by Immigration.  Because your Thai ID number is also tagged/included in your file held by Immigration the ID NUMBER IS ALL THAT IS NEEDED TO GAIN ACCESS TO THAT INFORMATION. Its not necessary to input your name (regardless of the language it's written in) at all. I'm not sure how restricted the access to information is by external departments but the police can certainly check your visa/extension status and how long it's valid for.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:45 PM, Chicken George said:

They are useful but only valid in the Chang wat ( county) it was issued. 

This is why I would not bother with one. The third line of conditions on the reverse side says that travel outside the area of the issuing authority is forbidden without documentation, passport in our case, or written permission.  So without a passport to show two rules are being broken. 

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I've never had to show my address when doing a 90 day report.

The 90 day report is a report of your address. 

18 hours ago, tgeezer said:

This is why I would not bother with one. The third line of conditions on the reverse side says that travel outside the area of the issuing authority is forbidden without documentation, passport in our case, or written permission.  So without a passport to show two rules are being broken. 

The 90 day report is a report of your address. 

I have used my Thai ID card for a number of services all over Thailand as I have traveled.  Additionally, I have used it to open services for my cable, electricity and a bank account.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have used my Thai ID card for a number of services all over Thailand as I have traveled.  Additionally, I have used it to open services for my cable, electricity and a bank account.

I can quite believe it, after all This is Thailand. Crikey, if a policeman has the courage to speak to a farang they soon lose it if you speak to them in English. We get away with a lot, I am just pointing out that the conditions printed on the back show that legally it is of no advantage. 

37 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

john, your info was the same as I was told by the Amphur.  The Thai ID card number is tied to your Passport number, so yes immigration will have that number.

ID tied to to passport number? How can that be, I got my Pink ID many years ago and have changed passports twice since then. The passport was used to verify ID and visa status at the time of application, things can change.

1 hour ago, asiaexpat said:

ID tied to to passport number? How can that be, I got my Pink ID many years ago and have changed passports twice since then. The passport was used to verify ID and visa status at the time of application, things can change.

Your old passport numbers are still in the system. There was a time when changing your passport allowed people to get away with somethings, However, now with the new system, biometrics, etc..., everything is being tied together.  Why do you think they track you like they do, and give your passport extra review when its not the same as they have listed, and then with a scan it is also tied together.  Thailand is slowly getting up to international security standards as far as the Government goes, however, the provincial systems still need to be upgraded.  If they were all on the same page we would not have all the discrepancies from one province to the other.  If your passport number has changed and you have other paperwork tied to it from the local Amphur, then you need to update it with them.  If your married your original marriage certificate was tied to the passport in use at the time.  I am speaking from experience as my ex-father in law is a former judge and Phu Yai Ban, along with a brother in-law who is a Police Lt. Colonel.  Up to each of us to play the game as we see fit.  Me I try to play by the rules.  If I don't have an answer for a question I have I ask someone. My issue with the address on my ID card seems to have people perplexed, as people in this country rarely change from the blue book they are registered in to a new one when they move away from home, unless of course they buy a new home.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

john, your info was the same as I was told by the Amphur.  The Thai ID card number is tied to your Passport number, so yes immigration will have that number.

Firstly, it's not a Thai ID card. Read the front. Secondly, I am sure immigration don't have my non thai ID. However the local tax office does.

10 hours ago, asiaexpat said:
11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The information held on file by Immigration is relevant information about you as an individual that includes your current and past passport details, current and past immigration status, current and past registered address and your Thai ID number (including your yellow book and pink ID card) etc, etc. It's not a file on your passport that includes you as added information.

So any change (for example) of passport details because of a new passport are automatically updated as and when the change occurs. Updating via a TM30 is another auto update example, as is renewing extensions of stay. The Thai ID number is just another piece of added info.

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Firstly, it's not a Thai ID card. Read the front. Secondly, I am sure immigration don't have my non thai ID. However the local tax office does.

1. It is an ID card issued by a Thai government agency. In this sense it is a Thai ID card, analogous to a Thai driving licence.

2. It is not an ID card for a Thai national (nor did anyone ever claim that it was)

• Like 2

On 12/24/2019 at 12:30 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I received my Thai ID card many years ago, but since then have moved from the residence for which I have my yellow house book for, and for where my Pink ID card shows as my residence.  Not sure what now needs to be done, or if I can change the address on the ID card at the local government office, or if I would need to have a new yellow book for where I now live (Rent).  The prior residence is still in the family and is where my daughter lives when she is here.  I just could not live in such a small Udon Thani province anymore as I enjoy living in a bustling metropolitan Area, such as Bangkok.  Opening a new bank account and registering at the local Nonthaburi Immigration office was easy and they both used my pink ID card.  I asked the IO and he had no clue as everything is tied back to my original Amphur office and the yellow book residence.  He just said I have to register at the local IO wherever I live and do the 90 day reports there.  I guess that's how Thais live all over, but there ID says there home province.

Anybody know the answer to changing the address ?

First of all, you don't need a pink card to register at immigration. Secondly, I'm very surprised you could open a bank account, unless you showed your passport as well?

My pink card is in a different province to my yellow book, so if I wanted I could just go to the new town hall and get a new pink card but there's no point.

You'd have to go to Udon town hall, get a letter and cancel your yellow book, then go to your new one and get a new one and card.

You don't have to live where your yellow book/pink ID says. This was confirmed to me by the Special Branch police and the from another provinceMinistry of Interior.

Fyi, renewed my 5 year diver licence with my yellow book from another province. This is the only real benefit of having a yellow book, to use it once every 5 years to save a trip to immigration.

Applying for a Thai ID card is the only other thing I've ever used it for in many years.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, jackdd said:

We had many threads about this already, getting the pink id card if you are registered in a yellow house book is easy.

The difficult part is, depending on the amphoe, to get yourself registered in a yellow house book.

Exactly.

I am still waiting after doing all the paperwork in May.

Time to pay them yet another visit.

RAZZ

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

1. It is an ID card issued by a Thai government agency. In this sense it is a Thai ID card, analogous to a Thai driving licence.

2. It is not an ID card for a Thai national (nor did anyone ever claim that it was)

I can't see the reasoning to a Thai driver's licence, which are the same for Thais and non Thais.

It certainly is not a Thai ID card. It is an ID card for non Thais.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

Edited by Neeranam

17 hours ago, Neeranam said:

You are absolutely right its not a THAI ID Card, but a Identification card for a person who does not have Thai Nationality.  Albeit, that it seems your just trying to wind me up, I will admit my mistake.  As far as your statement that Immigration does not have this number, you are woefully wrong Neeranam.  Anything in the data base for a pink card was also entered into the immigration data base when Chaeng Wattana also was notified as per regulations.  Take it for what its worth, say what you want, but realize we are all in the data bases many ways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You are absolutely right its not a THAI ID Card, but a Identification card for a person who does not have Thai Nationality.  Albeit, that it seems your just trying to wind me up, I will admit my mistake.  As far as your statement that Immigration does not have this number, you are woefully wrong Neeranam.  Anything in the data base for a pink card was also entered into the immigration data base when Chaeng Wattana also was notified as per regulations.  Take it for what its worth, say what you want, but realize we are all in the data bases many ways. 

I'll certainly admit to being woefully ???? wrong if I am. Are you saying that when you get the pink card that the local town house have to inform immigration?

You say you got your card many years ago, how many exactly? Are you from a neighbouring country?

Edited by Neeranam

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Secondly, I'm very surprised you could open a bank account, unless you showed your passport as well?

You've posted this comment before and I have replied in the past that you can definitely open a bank account using just your pink ID card and yellow book.

I have done just that in two different banks, Thanachart and Krungthai. I was asked for my passport at first but both were happy when I offered my pink ID card and yellow book. My daughter was with me when I went to Krungthai they told my daughter it was easier using those two documents because the information details fits properly on the application form so it's exactly the same method that Thai Nationals use. The only difference is that my name is written in Thai language on my passbook and their computer file so, if you need to prove ID in the bank at any time, you must show something in Thai, they might not accept your passport as it's written in English.

Bangkok bank accepted my pink ID card and yellow book as ID but, because I used a letter from the British Embassy as part of the application, and the BE referenced my passport details, I also had to add a copy of my passport to that letter. 

29 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'll certainly admit to being woefully ???? wrong if I am. Are you saying that when you get the pink card that the local town house have to inform immigration?

It was a few years ago but when I applied for my yellow book in the Chonburi Amphur the application had to be sent to Chonburi Immigration to confirm all my application details were correct....so yes Immigration are definitely informed.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, Max69xl said:

It was a true statement. If you never had to show your passport at any hotel,then you haven't stayed at a proper hotel in a big city in Thailand. The law says every hotel and guesthouse have to ask for the passport to be able to do the TM30 report. The pink ID-card is not officially allowed when checking in. If they allow it, the staff in the reception don't care about the TM30 report,that's all. 

Which saves you the hassle of doing a TM30 when you get home, because you were never anywhere else !   LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, john terry1001 said:

My daughter was with me when I went to Krungthai they told my daughter it was easier using those two documents because the information details fits properly on the application form so it's exactly the same method that Thai Nationals use. The only difference is that my name is written in Thai language on my passbook and their computer file so, if you need to prove ID in the bank at any time, you must show something in Thai, they might not accept your passport as it's written in English.

Very interesting and totally surprising, especially with this bank. I was at Krung Thai recently asking if the social security could send me money, as they had said because my name on the bank book was in Thai, it might be a problem. 

I had never given Krung Thai  bank anything before with my name in Thai.

The bank said no problem as in the computer they had my name in Thai and English. However they used my names in Thai when writing the letter to immigration for extension purposes.

Also recently, I tried to use my pink card as ID when increasing the daily withdrawal amount, but had to show passport.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

You say you got your card many years ago, how many exactly? Are you from a neighbouring country?

Been here for over 10 years, from the US, was married to a Thai, have a usufruct, land is now in my daughters name.  The paperwork from the Amphur for the original yellow book back then was sent to Bangkok for review, that included the passport copy, translations, and a few other items.  Once that paperwork returned the yellow book was issued, and then the pink non resident Thai nationality ID card issued with the authorization paperwork which returned from Bangkok and Chaeng Wattana. The number issued for the Pink Card is a numerical number issued for that local province, My number started with a 2 as I was only the second foreign non-resident to be issued the card within the province I was living in at the time.  This number is also now entered into the national data base as of 2016.   On the card, the registered address, date of birth, the name, the validity period (10 years), the personal identification number from the yellow house book and the ID card number are printed. The back of the card notes that the ID card must be carried by the owner, and does not replace the passport for cross-border travel. Thus the card does not negate the requirement for foreigners in Thailand to carry their passport at all times!  My card was issued in 2012.   The card is essentially the same one that all foreign workers obtain.  I have purchased my airline tickets for in country travel using my Pink ID card, showed it at the airport for check-in and with my ticket to enter the boarding area.  I have opened bank accounts, have a phone plan through TRUE using it, and only carry it with me, but do have a photo of my passport, Visa Page and current entry stamp as well as my TM-6 and TM-30 receipt, if I am ever asked.  Believe what you may, I have never had a problem when showing the pink card, but YMMV.  For me it has been useful. I also used it to register at Big C, Siam PAragon for the M card and for Robinsons The1 card. I used my yellow book for purchasing my truck, and when I purchased my insurance policy they used the pink card as my ID.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My number started with a 2 as I was only the second foreign non-resident to be issued the card within the province I was living in at the time.  This number is also now entered into the national data base as of 2016.   On the card, the registered address, date of birth, the name, the validity period (10 years), the personal identification number from the yellow house book and the ID card number are printed. The back of the card notes that the ID card must be carried by the owner, and does not replace the passport for cross-border travel. Thus the card does not negate the requirement for foreigners in Thailand to carry their passport at all times!  My card was issued in 2012.

Interesting, as they refused to give me one back then, even though the law said I needed one. 

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Which saves you the hassle of doing a TM30 when you get home, because you were never anywhere else !   LOL

I'm confused as when I used my pink card at a hotel in Bangkok, immigration said nothing regarding a TM30. I used the pink card to avoid giving my passport number as I was sure that immigration don't have it.

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting, as they refused to give me one back then, even though the law said I needed one. 

Like I said YMMV, not all provinces follow the law or rules, if they did, we would not have discrepancies.  My current wife is a foreign national from Myanmar, who is a business owner, but her pink ID card is identiclal to mine, but was issued here in Bangkok.