Problems with USB's

Russell17au

A word of caution about USB's. I have been having a few issues with the computer and I decided that I needed some new USB's as back ups so I worked out what I needed to replace some of my old USB's so I went on Lazada and did a searched and found just what I needed from one dealer so I placed the order for 2 x 64GB and 3 X 32GB Kingston USB's and as with many Lazada dealers the goods were delivered in 2 days from Bangkok. I opened the package and the order was wrong, instead of sending me the 3 x 32GB USB's they sent 3 x 64GB in their place so I got 5 x 64GB USB's, so that did not bother me but now the big problem started. I copied about 14 folders from the computer onto 1 of the USB's and everything went great but when I went to update a couple of the folders with some new information all the folders showed that they were empty, so I checked the properties of the USB and it showed that there was 16GB used but all the folders showed they were empty and I could not access any of the information that I had transferred. I opened the other USB's and checked all of them and they all did the same thing. They would not allow access to the files and they all showed that the folders were empty. I contacted Kingston about the problem and they said to format the USB's and then try again, so I did and still the same. Kingston them wanted clear photo's of the USB's and clear photo's of the information that is stamped on the metal blade. There is no information stamped on the metal blade on these 5 USB's. So the photo's have been sent. I had to go to Big C today and I went down to the computer section and they carry very little Kingston stuff but they did have some SanDisk things so I bought a SanDisk Cruzer Blade 32GB and when I got home I tried it and guess what, the SanDisk saved everything that I transferred to it and I have full access to all the files and folder on it. So if anyone is thinking about buying some new USB's for back ups be careful about what you buy. I have 5 x 64GB Kingston USB's that are useless.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

Send them back for a refund, and report the company for selling fake goods. Easy.

They are not fake goods they are real Kingston products. I have compared them and the packaging with some others and they are they same.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

They are not fake goods they are real Kingston products. I have compared them and the packaging with some others and they are they same.

The counterfeiters can make them and the packaging look exactly the same. If you only get 16GB on a 32 or 64 GB stick...it's fake.

But as the favourite saying in Thailand goes..........up to you!

Just now, wgdanson said:

The counterfeiters can make them and the packaging look exactly the same. If you only get 16GB on a 32 or 64 GB stick...it's fake.

But as the favourite saying in Thailand goes..........up to you!

You are reading it wrong. I only put 16GB on the USB but that did not fill it and properties showed that it was not even half full and that the size was correct to what it should be. I have some other old Kingston USB's from Australia and they do not have the information on the metal either.

15 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It is good to know that you are an expert??????

Hey, we are only trying to help you. It's you who has 5 useless USB sticks. Even if they are not fake, you can send 'em back.Or could it be your PC. Try them in another one.

Edited by wgdanson

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Hey, we are only trying to help you. It's you who has 5 useless USB sticks. Even if they are not fake, you can send 'em back.Or could it be your PC. Try them in another one.

I have tried a different USB and it works fine. I put this out for anyone to be careful about what USB's they buy but it seems by the responses that have come in that no one is interested in the warning that I am giving but would prefer to make false claims and denigrate the procedure I chose to use to purchase them. And they are authentic Kingston USB's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I have tried a different USB and it works fine. I put this out for anyone to be careful about what USB's they buy but it seems by the responses that have come in that no one is interested in the warning that I am giving but would prefer to make false claims and denigrate the procedure I chose to use to purchase them. And they are authentic Kingston USB's.

What warning are you giving...that GENUINE Kingston USB sticks bought from Lazada do not work on your PC, but others do.

Take it up with Kingston then. Good luck.

By the way, what did you pay for your GENUINE AUTHENTIC Kingston 64GB stick?

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/usb-flash-drives/kingston/64gb/

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

You are reading it wrong. I only put 16GB on the USB but that did not fill it and properties showed that it was not even half full and that the size was correct to what it should be. I have some other old Kingston USB's from Australia and they do not have the information on the metal either.

Well I have a Kingston from Shopee bought several weeks ago and it indeed has info on the steel case - Kingston on one side and DTSE9 16gb engraved on the other.  All Kingston Data Travelers shown have such on them.  Did you pay a normal price or did it seem low?  That can often be a key indicator on shopping platforms.

That said even supposedly real flash drives can be very different - have 5 SanDisc 16gb drives bought same place/time and 3 will copy at about 10mg but other 2 max out at 5mb.  Same format.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It is good to know that you are an expert??????

But, please! For the love of God, understand. They have been selling you counterfeit products. I also bought mine that didn´t work from Lazada.

Try to understand know, or tell me an answer to the riddle Steven Seagal used in one of his movies. "Tell me, what does it take to change the essence of a man"?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

Have Kingston verified the serial numbers? If not, why don't you wait until they do, before embarrassing yourself by arguing about something when you are clearly not sure?

If you were sure, then why did you send pics to Kingston in the first place?

What is wrong with people these days? Mamma mia...

https://fightflashfraud.wordpress.com/tag/64gb-kingston-usb-flash-drive/

• Sad 1

It is more probable that  what you purchased  ahve  faults, fake or  not. You do or should have te option to return them.

But I have  noticed  that Win 8-10 nearly always  suggests "there is a problem" with any sort of  external drive. I now  never accept the "Fix it  now " option after it  F@$%&#$ up  an external  hard drive when I did.

Fake Kingston memory sticks have been an issue for ages and people reselling them on lazada isn't exactly news either. It's a 'preferred' brand name and the Chinese counterfeiters love that.

Duracell had huge issues with fake batteries even popping up in the racks at reputable retailers in Thailand. It got so bad, they suspended exporting them to Thailand until the issue was resolved with their distributors.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

H2testw is the de-facto standard software to detect fake FLASH memory.

It won't tell you if your drive is actually a real Kingston, it will tell you if the quoted capacity is correct.

Download here ftp://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/h2testw_1.4.zip

Or get this file h2testw_1.4.zip

Let us know how your drives test out.

• Like 1

lazada can only be blamed in that they may not be too stringent about who is selling and what is sold via their site, the problem is the individual who is selling the (dodgy) products.

years ago i bought some kingston USBs from a market at a very competitive (cheap!) price, they looked the real deal but of course i knew i was taking a risk, and sure enough they failed pretty quickly.

I have never had a genuine kingston product fail. i'd say what you bought was very likely fake.

13 hours ago, Russell17au said:

So why don't you get in touch with the vendor for a return replacement or refund. It generally works on Lazada.

And yes the situation regarding fake or low quality goods is worsening on Lazada. It is a poorly regulated Asian platform, and hence becomes inevitably a pool of sharks. I am shifting to Amazon or use direct OL shopping with J.I.B InvadeIT, Powerbuy, etc..

I have a couple of Kingstons, and they work fine. There is information stamped on the metal blades of both.

As the OP has stated there is no information stamped on the metal blades of the ones he received, I'd agree with the consensus they are fake.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

As the OP has stated there is no information stamped on the metal blades of the ones he received, I'd agree with the consensus they are fake.

But he does not want to listen or accept that.........:whistling:

• Sad 1

OP, believe me that you aren't the first and definitely won't be the last to get dodgy thumb drives from online sources. 

Seems the main indicator is the price of the drive. If it looks too much like a bargain, don't go for it. The second thing that I would look for, or rather at, would be the reputation of the seller and also read the comments from buyers. If a lot have been sold, the comments will usually provide clues as to them not working correctly or indeed working well.

17 hours ago, Russell17au said:

https://fakememorysentinel.wordpress.com/2010/02/26/kingston-usb-flash-drives-how-to-check-you-have-a-genuine-one-and-not-a-counterfeit-easy-guide-kingston-technologies-fighting-to-protect-consumers-and-itself-from-counterfeits/

And after reading this, I realise that mine is a FAKE COPY, but it has worked OK for several years.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I have some other old Kingston USB's from Australia and they do not have the information on the metal either.

Just checked my Kingston USB sticks and they all, except one, have a very faint laser etched serial number on the metal.  The numbers are hard to see, but they are there. The exception is a very, very, very old 2Gb USB stick.

I would agree, these are most probably fakes, suggest you contact Lazada and initiate the returns procedure.

Sorry, just noted the post above and read the linked page, so yes, they're 100% fake.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

I bought a Kingston 128 GB on Ebay but I expected it to be fake. I wanted to see one and check it out. It really showed 128 GB but couldn't be used because it was only 16 GB. To be able to use it I created an about 16 GB partition on it and so it can be used without problems - it uses the directory of this partition. Of course Ebay refunded the money without any problems and I have a free 16 GB SD card. 

• Like 1