Deceased captain from Wednesday’s Phuket boat crash had been the captain in another fatal boat crash

webfact

Does Thailand actually require a Captain license?

In USA, If u have one paying passenger onboard you MUST have the minimum 6 OUPV license issued by U S Coast Guard.

Its called a 6 Pak license, it allows 6 paying passengers, I have taken several rides on these overcrowded speedboats and being a 1200 Ton Captain myself, the total lack of any safety is overwhelming to me.

In U S A it is not a requirement to have your license posted, most do have it posted in the wheelhouse, I have never seen anything resembling a license here.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Deceased captain from Wednesday’s Phuket boat crash had been the captain in another fatal boat crash

A "captain" is the last thing he should be named...

Just for reference compare the Op photo of a Thai captain and the attached photo of what a real Captain looks like.

images.jpg

They should really be calling these people boat DRIVERS ....I believe the word captain is being used the same way engineer is used for anyone holding a screwdriver.

According to Thais, I have been both an engineer and a boat captain myself!!!

It is what I mention before this week about this item, they don't care about rules, and yes again, it was NOT in the Andaman sea but at the Pang Nga bay.

And with this kind of boats, there are to much captains like this, he is an striking example.

I talk already about 14 years ago.....believe me nothing will change in this country.

12 hours ago, balo said:

So the only deceased was the captain who should never been a captain in the first place,  Karma for real. 

Was there not an 18 year old boat worker missing (I would presume dead in the water)?

"Whilst the search continued for a missing boat crew, 18 year old Kittipong ‘Boy’ .... ".

Perhaps you only read the headline.

These captains are full of misplaced bravado (making face) and pure arrogance, the faster the better, the more scared the tourist the better, i know best & F@@k the world for daring to question my god (buddha, allah, cookie monster) right to do so!

All a bit Yozser Hughes* really, giz a job I can do that! 

*Boys from the Black Stuff 

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:

A "captain" is the last thing he should be named...

Just for reference compare the Op photo of a Thai captain and the attached photo of what a real Captain looks like.

images.jpg

After the sinking of the Phoenix people om here were commenting on the uniform the captain was wearing. Sorry, posters can't have it both ways.

16 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Does Thailand actually require a Captain license?

In USA, If u have one paying passenger onboard you MUST have the minimum 6 OUPV license issued by U S Coast Guard.

Its called a 6 Pak license, it allows 6 paying passengers, I have taken several rides on these overcrowded speedboats and being a 1200 Ton Captain myself, the total lack of any safety is overwhelming to me.

In U S A it is not a requirement to have your license posted, most do have it posted in the wheelhouse, I have never seen anything resembling a license here.

Yes, captain's license is required, and there are different licenses for different size boats.

This may put the Russian captain of the other boat in a pickle BTW.

On 12/20/2019 at 9:57 AM, webfact said:

Surat was charged with recklessness causing death at the time.

RIP but things do happen for a reason, but he didn't claim brake failure.....

TAT reputation down the pipes again and they wonder why tourists stay away

1 hour ago, 30la said:

Unfortunately, captains of this type are the rule and not the exception!
Allow me to reveal my suspicion: not one of these characters has a captain's license and certainly not even a boat driving license!

Since there are frequent checks, you're totally wrong.

On 12/21/2019 at 2:11 PM, Brigand said:

"Captain" like a few other titles here are awfully lightly thrown around. This guy should have been referred to title-wise along the lines of "Sea Blaggard".

What century do you come from Brigand?

Archived