Bailing Out / Jumpin Ship

Gonzo the Face

30 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Every time I read these kinds of smart alecky comments in threads on Thai Immigration tightening the screws, I can't help but thinking about the German clergyman Martin Niemoller's famous and oft repeated words...

they are all crawling out today, troll central

Edited by GeorgeCross
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Recently read in Bangkok Post that vast majority of Thai those that actually have bank accounts the balance is b500 or less. I think I recall top 10% hold 93% of assets.

Anyone with 800k in the bank here is a player. It's not the 800k per se but the multiplying effect, fractional reserve this can be lent at.

150,000 x 800k x 90 is real money. Especially for banks that are forced to service accounts that are net negative in profit.

Edited by Number 6
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's been a succession of mounting things....

--the end of income affidavits for US and UK residents, two of the largest western expat groups here.

--the resulting and pretty arbitrary and unfriendly rules Immigration adopted as a replacement governing monthly foreign bank transfers, the transfers having to be coded just so, not accepting deposit averaging over the year, and coming at a time when BKKB U.S. was curtailing their easy international transfers method.

--Along with, the increased requirements for holding time on people using the bank deposits method for extensions, including the new requirement that at least 400K of a retirement extension's 800K bank deposit must be kept untouched yearround, and the full amount must be kept untouched 5-6 months of the year.

--followed by the latest and VERY poorly thought thru health insurance requirement for current and past O-A visa holders -- which pretty much doesn't allow for home country insurance even when it provides full coverage in Thailand, and a companion Thai insurance industry market that simply won't write affordable policies, or any policies, as people get older -- which pretty much defeats the purpose of having an O-A RETIREMENT visa program.

So after all that, a lot of folks are looking down the road and saying what's going to be next?

Allow me to correct your statement regarding the insurance requirements of O-A Visa holders. Overseas insurance is fully accepted provided a confirmation on the forms produced by the Thai authorities is submitted. This is an accepted manner for most countries. Try to obtain a visa, as a Thai or any other nationality requiring a visa to the Schengen states without confirmation on issued forms of the existence of a valid medical aid cover and see. Why should Thailand not be entitled to adopt similar regulations?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

I don't travel much now as then I may have a long wait in immergration doing a TM30. Less money in exchange rates and leaving money on deposit here are a pain. I'd leave but would have to leave the mother of my two children here. She would allow them to go but it would break everyones hearts. Plus a major reason and the main one for me  is the air pollution here in the North. We have the highest rates of lung cancer in Thailand! 

So I will see how this next year goes . I expect to leave next year.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently I spoke with a farang who is since forever responsible for the bakeries is a gig supermarket chain.

He told me he is reducing the types of bakery items for sale because they sell significantly less than they used to sell.

And he told me that is especially for items which farangs typically buy.

Obviously that is no clear indicator what is going on but I think it definitely is an indicator. The quality and prices from that supermarket chain were always good and fair. So I think it's unlikely that people buy now similar products somewhere else.

That means people buy less (because they don't have the money anymore) or the people who used to buy are not here anymore.

i also noticed quality has gone downhill here.  less gourmet items are being stocked. shows that all income levels are giving Thailand the old heave hole.  some of us who come from money are just fed up with the BS, the pollution, insane traffic and general insouciance of the population.  they will never change.  

Edited by malibukid
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chicken George said:

I don't travel much now as then I may have a long wait in immergration doing a TM30. Less money in exchange rates and leaving money on deposit here are a pain. I'd leave but would have to leave the mother of my two children here. She would allow them to go but it would break everyones hearts. Plus a major reason and the main one for me  is the air pollution here in the North. We have the highest rates of lung cancer in Thailand! 

So I will see how this next year goes . I expect to leave next year.

TM 30 updates in CM Immi. take less than 15 minutes.

44 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

"You can't demand to go to a random country and live there forever without proofing you have the means to do so."

What about the UK!

Married: Since July 2012, UK citizens and long-term residents applying to bring a non-EEA partner or spouse to live with them in the UK must meet a minimum income requirement of £18,600 per year before tax. For applicants who are also bringing dependent children the post-2012 threshold rises by £3,800 for one child and £2,400 for each additional child.

Retirement: For those scanning the globe for an overseas retirement destination, the UK might seem like a perfect landing spot. However, at present, there is no retirement visa for non-EU citizens to move to the UK. So the only options is the investment visa.

Investment: This investment visa is geared towards high net worth individuals who can make a £2 million investment into government bonds or share capital, to be held for at least 5 years.

Src: google.

Spare us all this populist bs, it's not easier to live in europe if you don't have an EU passport. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

So why read Thai Visa ?  I left England and have made my home here , my 400,000 B is in the bank . I don't read any , not one English newspaper , I don't need to know how cold it is , how much more a ticket costs to get into the city . Why are so many complaining on here today ?

Some people have nothing better to do ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, saengd said:

I think you need to rethink that one, my take is the exact opposite, few people wont have those things!

I don't need to rethink anything at all. Millions of working people from all over the globe will never attain such wealth.

Millions of OAPs in the UK live in rented accommodation and have just a state pension and a bit of pension credit to live on. Many of them can't even afford a holiday let alone an overseas retirement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

I don't need to rethink anything at all. Millions of working people from all over the globe will never attain such wealth.

Millions of OAPs in the UK live in rented accommodation and have just a state pension and a bit of pension credit to live on. Many of them can't even afford a holiday let alone an overseas retirement.

Sure, but we're talking about Thailand and retirees here, not those back in blighty! If a person retires to Thailand with anything less than those figures they can only expect to run into problems. Gone are the days when a state pension was would fetch 80 baht per Pounds and the cost of living here was very low.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

attain such wealth.

250k USD is hardly wealthy. In fact the average home, average mind you. Runs about 200k.

Hopefully at the end of ones life you have 1500usd pm until 92yo. About 18k per year. Maybe 15k plus interest, dividend.

So, about 550k USD. If you don't have that I would highly advise returning home and hunkering down.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BestB said:

If they can not afford it now , how will

they afford to come back?

nobody said about not being able to afford it now, they are saying they want to leave and/or are leaving or already left  because IMO/ government new rules, thus removing that hurdle they should be able to afford medical

1 minute ago, saengd said:

Sure, but we're talking about Thailand and retirees here, not those back in blighty! If a person retires to Thailand with anything less than those figures they can only expect to run into problems. Gone are the days when a state pension was would fetch 80 baht per Pounds and the cost of living here was very low.

I know retirees who came out to live the Life of Riley when it was 74 to the GBP but never 80. In fact when I first came we only got 32 Baht to the GBP considerably less that the 38 - 39 we're getting now.

Never the less they still decided to retire in the LOS because in those days if they wanted to retire in a tropical climate along with its other attractions Thailand was the only place that fitted that bill and was affordable.

As far as I know not a single one of 'em was a clairvoyant or a psychic and it's those people we are discussing because they are the ones who are now 'Bailing Out/Jumping Ship'.

• Like 2