Stronger pound, ruble hold promise for Pattaya tourism

webfact

Just now, NCC1701A said:

If elected POTY the year I will do everything in my power to return Pattaya to its glory days. Stop the family friendly conversion of Pattaya. Thai Friendly not family friendly . Vote NCC1701A for POTY. 

Sleaze is the biggest thing Thailand had to offer, then came HIV, ruined everything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Sleaze is the biggest thing Thailand had to offer, then came HIV, ruined everything.

same thing in Los Angeles in the 80's. 

this horrible feeling you are playing Russian roulette, especially before a lot was known about virus transmission.

I had a few clients die. it was sad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

What resurgence? The pound rose for about two days after the election, only to drop right back again. This press release is nonsense. 

Did you just read the headline then? The article continued with:

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Following the vote, the pound jumped from 38.7 baht to the sterling to 40.7. In the past week, however, it has given back 2.6%, sitting at 38.3 baht on Dec. 21.

Edited by Moonlover

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I am confused everywhere I read Brits are going to Spain or Tenerife or places closer to home.  

Pattaya for the cost does not really offer much different.  Even if the pound were up I have a feeling Brits are still not going to want to blow their money flying to Pats.  The only ones that would do that are the old geezers with the big belies that have been doing it for years and it is their right of retirement to seek cheap booze and young ladies that will tell them that they look very hansum in a leo wifebeater that is too small and shorts with their beer gut hanging over the waist of the shorts.

"You know it makes sense".

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Article author doesn't know about the possible no trade deal problem causing GBP to temporarily drop.

A necessary threat to get a good deal as opposed to a turd trade deal to be offered by EU

Exactly. As soon as Boris stated that a no deal is still on the table the pound dropped again. No deal is a necessary evil if he's any chance of securing a decent trade deal with the EU.

• Haha 1

QzossNhv

The pound made a big move Oct 10 - 18.  Not sure why though.  But markets hate uncertainty more than anything else.  So even though the vote is in, there is no deal yet so businesses still can't make longterm plans.  Germany has suddenly become conciliatory so there is hope, but until the politicking amounts to some clarity for businesses, the pound will be weak.  

How long will it take to make a deal?  If you are holding pounds and can wait till then, I think you'll be happy.  

• Thanks 1

A story without a point - as soon as it was written, the whole basis of the article was already out of date!
One of the stupidest editorial decisions I've ever seen - to allow this into print without any ability to imagine what might happen a few weeks into the future. I can't help wondering - what nationality was the sub-editor who allowed this story to be printed . . . ?

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

It got up to a dizzy 40 before Boris opened his trap and put no deal back on the table with a time limit ????

And for that reason, the GBP will face uncertainty all through 2020 with bluff and counter bluff by the UK and the EU to see who blinks first.

The deal was a lousy one for the UK designed to be rejected and made so unpalatable, we stayed in. It hasn't worked, so it's back to the drawing board. I think many of TVF will be surprised by Boris Johnson, for all the bluster and clowning, he is far more intelligent and formidable an opponent than Theresa May was.

• Thanks 2

Who the hell writes this absolute bollacks.

Any increase in Sterling (before) was absolutely nothing whatsoever related to the Thai Baht but purely down to Sterlings increase against the USD and now duly dropped back.

As the Mexican hill farmer shouted at Butch and Sundance on horseback "morons I'm dealing with morons"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The only ones that would do that are the old geezers with the big belies that have been doing it for years and it is their right of retirement to seek cheap booze and young ladies that will tell them that they look very hansum in a leo wifebeater that is too small and shorts with their beer gut hanging over the waist of the shorts.

Self portrait? Well, you are here, aren't you?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nicola Sturgeon doing her William Wallace bit seemed to start it downward.. then BJ took over. But the subject is Pattaya tourism not Brexit...( untold damage my Heinie....)

Sturgeon is irrelevant and does not move the pound.. The answer is No to her referendum and always will be for the next 6 years.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Did you just read the headline then?

The headline claims that the pound is strong. On what planet could anyone make a claim like that? In case you've been living under a rock, the pound mid 2016 was in the 50's; it currently languishes at the same rates of exchange as back in the mid 1990's. 

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Who the hell writes this absolute bollacks.

Any increase in Sterling (before) was absolutely nothing whatsoever related to the Thai Baht but purely down to Sterlings increase against the USD and now duly dropped back.

As the Mexican hill farmer shouted at Butch and Sundance on horseback "morons I'm dealing with morons"

When were Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid in Mexico?  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bell1234 said:

Who makes this sh@t up.. The pound will be going nowhere until s trade deal and a No deal is took off the table with the EU.  The pound will be under 40 for another year atleast

Well not if Thailand somewhere manage to weaken the Thai Baht out to 33 as they claim to want. That would push Sterling to around 43 without Sterling/Dollar moving from current levels

Edited by Chivas

12 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

The headline claims that the pound is strong. On what planet could anyone make a claim like that? In case you've been living under a rock, the pound mid 2016 was in the 50's; it currently languishes at the same rates of exchange as back in the mid 1990's. 

The headline said 'Stronger Pound holds promise', which grammatically is quite a different statement from ''the pound is strong', which is what you claim it said. The article also conceded that it had fallen back from that earlier promising blip.

The head line is correct, a strong pound does hold promise. But we're not there yet!

5 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Interestingly, the Pound and the Ruble least affected by ChiCom hot money inflows at BoT.  

Good luck to the Brits.

Ah, the daily twaddle has arrived.

You really do need some new material. Or a period of abstinence.

8 hours ago, fishtank said:

Stronger Pound?

Where did they get that from?

Every time Bungle Johnson opens his mouth it sinks lower.

Agreed! It struggled to stay above 40 for a few days,  and is now back down to 39.2 as I type and has been hovering round the lower 39 mark for a few days.

I'd say it's possible that the BOT will get the nod to lower interest rates still further, and also allow investors to move (more) money out of Thailand. In that scenario the baht could fall against the pound, although I see no hope that the pound will strengthen in the medium term.

The impossible situation that johnson has put the UK into is reliant on the EU conceding another 'great johnson deal' which if similar to the current one is garbage. If a no-deal ensues  - which is currently more likely than not - it would take a decade or two trading on WTO terms before the UK recovers its economy.   

Best to convert all surplus funds into US$ as despite Trump's attempts to devalue the dollar by his insane trading idealism it's the world's safest currency for the next decade as the US is not going bust until the planet is destroyed by climate change by the next century.   

A bleak picture, but a probable outcome, IMO. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The headline said 'Stronger Pound holds promise', which grammatically is quite a different statement from ''the pound is strong', which is what you claim it said. The article also conceded that it had fallen back from that earlier promising blip.

The first two paragraphs heralded it's resurgence, my initial post (to which you replied) questioned what resurgence? The pound has been on a downward trend ever since the UK election hangover over a week ago and in no way matches the claims made by the article:

"Pattaya is hoping a recent resurgence in both the British pound and Russian ruble will boost tourism for the rest of high season."

8 hours ago, picctrainop said:

Brexit is going to do Nothing But untold damage to The UK especially with a No Deal. The Pound will Only Bomb Further Against the Baht and All Other Currencies...

nice of you to join the debate, keep spouting the remain theme tune, with a bit of doom and gloom thrown in

• Like 1