wasting time renewing a bike licence

Tomahawk21

OK went to the transport office to renew my 5 new motor bike licence, got there 7 am queuing already started got a number, four hours later was seen by a lady who looked at my docs agreed were all correct gave me a from that all i had to do was put my name on it and said come back tomorrow 7 am.

Next day got there 7 am doors open 8 am got a number was seen by the same lady after 40 minutes i thought great we are on now, she looked at all the same papers that she looked at the day before and said come back at 10.30 am ???? done a few simple tests looked at a video for an hour finished that at 11.45 am she said come back at 1 pm paid for licence waited until 2.45 pm all done. what a complete waste of time for everyone just to renew a licence. 11 hours 45 mins.

Asked if can do online was told only Thais can. crazy ????

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

So this is really exceptionally fast:

Did they spare you from watching video?

Similar happened to me once in 2011 on converting foreign DL to temporary. No tests at all.

But never again.

I had to watch a short video... in English. Probably no longer than 30 minutes.

But the speed was the result of few people ahead of me in the queue. The only time I had to wait, was for the color-blind test, and that was less than a five minute wait for the previous group to clear the room. Otherwise, I went from one station to the next. Another wait of almost 3 minutes to pay, then a 30-second wait to get my photo taken and another minute to get my card dispensed.

I had to take a written test to renew my car license as I let it expire over a year before. (I thought it was the same time as my bike license, but no...)  The written test took about 10 minutes but I failed it the first time by one question, and had to sit and wait a hour before I could take the test again. But even with that, I was in at 1pm, and walking out the door at 3:30.  I don't understand why the OP had such difficulties.

On a positive note, I now know that it's legal to drive a war tank on city streets.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Wow! I just renewed my 5yr bike license yesterday.

I walked in at 8:15, and had my new license in hand at 10:45 and walked out the door.

I don't understand why you had any problems.

And 1 day in 5 years …. some people must have a buzzy life ….5555

• Haha 1

I recently paid 1500b for same day service to get the res. cert.  only to find out that the queue at the transportation office is more than 1 mon. I checked for private testing (2,000b) in Mae Rim and Mae Tang,all fully booked beyond the 1 month expiration date of my res.cert.  So I have to forfeit the 1500 and not get a bike license.  This is the last time I take the "fast-track".....or scam-track!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Wow! I just renewed my 5yr bike license yesterday.

I walked in at 8:15, and had my new license in hand at 10:45 and walked out the door.

I don't understand why you had any problems.

where did you renew it, transport office near the regent school ?

i was there Christmas eve and Christmas day if you were there on either of those days i can not see how you got it dome in such a short time.

Edited by Tomahawk21

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

? This sounds like a misunderstanding.

She probably referred to some online appointment system.

Going through the physical tests and watching video is common practice. Never seen that this could be replaced by "online".

So this is really exceptionally fast:

Did they spare you from watching video?

Similar happened to me once in 2011 on converting foreign DL to temporary. No tests at all.

But never again.

Asked if can do online was told only Thais can. crazy

? This sounds like a misunderstanding.

She probably referred to some online appointment system.

Going through the physical tests and watching video is common practice. Never seen that this could be replaced by "online".

sorry you are correct

1 hour ago, Tomahawk21 said:

i was there Christmas eve and Christmas day if you were there on either of those days i can not see how you got it dome in such a short time.

I really don't understand why you had such troubles and so many delays.

I was there on Tuesday, the morning of the 24th at 8:15. Two people ahead of me at the Information counter, both of whom needed other copies of documents.  I had all the correct paperwork, walked directly from the Information desk to the counter with no one in front of me. However, after I left the counter a long line formed for that counter. That was that. From then on, the only thing that took any time was watching the video. A few minutes wait to pay my fees. Then there was only one person ahead of me waiting to go into the photo station, so only a minute or two for that, too. Very fast!

When I did my car license, including taking the machine written test, after the test my queue number was 372, and they were processing payment for number 246... even then, I only waited less than 30 minutes to get to the payment desk, then another 3-4 minutes to enter the photo station. In at 1pm, out by 3:30.

2 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

it was 11 hours 45 mins over 2 day and have to do it 2 times over 5 years for a bike and car. just a pointless waste of time.

From 43800hours (5X365X24...) they took almost 12 hours from your life ... how they dare to do that.....

Yous should complaine U.N. human rights group.....i find ....????

BTW Ihope you succeeded to get the D.L.?

Let hope this is the only ordeal you have to submit in life ....you have my sympathy????????

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, johng said:

At the DLT near the regents school ???

Sorry, Johng, but I have no idea where the regents school is located.

I went to the Land Transport Office across the Hang Dong road from the south end of the airport runway, if that helps you.  I didn't know there was any other place for licensing. I know the LTO near the Holiday Inn is where I go to re-register my vehicles each year, but I don't think they offer driving licenses.

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

Sorry, Johng, but I have no idea where the regents school is located.

I went to the Land Transport Office across the Hang Dong road from the south end of the airport runway, if that helps you.  I didn't know there was any other place for licensing. I know the LTO near the Holiday Inn is where I go to re-register my vehicles each year, but I don't think they offer driving licenses.

which airport run way please ? which province. it sound like you went to a different place to me

Edited by Tomahawk21

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I went to the Land Transport Office across the Hang Dong road

Well no surprise it was so fast you went to a DLT at the other end of the country " out in the sticks"  

The DLT for Pattaya near the Regents school is always very busy and that's where it took @Tomahawk21 a long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, david555 said:

From 43800hours (5X365X24...) they took almost 12 hours from your life ... how they dare to do that.....

Yous should complaine U.N. human rights group.....i find ....????

BTW Ihope you succeeded to get the D.L.?

Let hope this is the only ordeal you have to submit in life ....you have my sympathy????????

thx lets see how you like it when its your turn to go through the BS

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

Well no surprise it was so fast you went to a DLT at the other end of the country " out in the sticks"  

The DLT for Pattaya near the Regents school is always very busy and that's where it took @Tomahawk21 a long time.

Yeah Regents has always been busy thats why I go to the one 10 minutes further down Suk road at Au Udon.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

if you live in Pattaya can you renew your licence in another province if you have all the correct paper work ? I may consider doing that next time.

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I really don't understand why you had such troubles and so many delays.

I was there on Tuesday, the morning of the 24th at 8:15. Two people ahead of me at the Information counter, both of whom needed other copies of documents.  I had all the correct paperwork, walked directly from the Information desk to the counter with no one in front of me. However, after I left the counter a long line formed for that counter. That was that. From then on, the only thing that took any time was watching the video. A few minutes wait to pay my fees. Then there was only one person ahead of me waiting to go into the photo station, so only a minute or two for that, too. Very fast!

When I did my car license, including taking the machine written test, after the test my queue number was 372, and they were processing payment for number 246... even then, I only waited less than 30 minutes to get to the payment desk, then another 3-4 minutes to enter the photo station. In at 1pm, out by 3:30.

and i dont know how you swung that one as i was there the same day and earlier than you if you were in the pattaya transport office.

1 hour ago, Tomahawk21 said:

thx lets see how you like it when its your turn to go through the BS

that shall be in 2025 March for my 3th time then 5555 ,

and It never lasted longer than same day …., only this last  time it was afternoon, because I was early 7.30 ,had good low number  , but loosing my que later when opening ,as i had to sign and put telephone number I forgot , and on the table to do that an Asian lady seems writing her life story , must be gentleman and waited , so all behind me passed me ,and it took my new number very high , so afternoon handled all , but same day around 3 clock ready for another 5 years (my DL history 1 year +5 +5 ) never longer than 1 day .

A Shame they took 2 days out of your life ….

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

which airport run way please ? which province. it sound like you went to a different place to me

Yes! That is exactly what has happened. You didn't mention where you are, and neither did I.

All I knew was how fast my experience was at the DLT.  Yes, I am in the north, in Chiang Mai, normally famous for it's never-ending queues and interminable red tape. It sounds as if your part of Thailand is far worse. Perhaps I could suggest a move? Or, more realistically, checking to find out if one IS allowed to take their license in a different province. I know that in Japan, one is required to get tested and renewed in the same province, in the US one must do it in the same State, but not necessarily in the same city. I wonder about Thai law?

44 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Yes! That is exactly what has happened. You didn't mention where you are, and neither did I.

All I knew was how fast my experience was at the DLT.  Yes, I am in the north, in Chiang Mai, normally famous for it's never-ending queues and interminable red tape. It sounds as if your part of Thailand is far worse. Perhaps I could suggest a move? Or, more realistically, checking to find out if one IS allowed to take their license in a different province. I know that in Japan, one is required to get tested and renewed in the same province, in the US one must do it in the same State, but not necessarily in the same city. I wonder about Thai law?

48 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

Edited 9 hours ago by Tomahawk21

On 12/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, david555 said:

that shall be in 2025 March for my 3th time then 5555 ,

and It never lasted longer than same day …., only this last  time it was afternoon, because I was early 7.30 ,had good low number  , but loosing my que later when opening ,as i had to sign and put telephone number I forgot , and on the table to do that an Asian lady seems writing her life story , must be gentleman and waited , so all behind me passed me ,and it took my new number very high , so afternoon handled all , but same day around 3 clock ready for another 5 years (my DL history 1 year +5 +5 ) never longer than 1 day .

A Shame they took 2 days out of your life ….

That’s not the point. I renewed my home driving license earlier this year and it took me about 5 mins. 4 minutes of that was waiting for people in front of me to complete their postal matters.