Rawai Mayor clarifies response to claims that missing kayak couple hiding in Phuket

webfact

Rawai Mayor clarifies response to claims that missing kayak couple hiding in Phuket

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1577256951_1-org.jpg

Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos at the press conference today (Dec 25). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos held a press conference today (Dec 25) to clarify what has been done in response to claims that Polish tourist Mateusz Juszkiewicz, 26, and Thai national Werakan Siriprakon, 23, from Nakhon Sawan, who were last seen on a rented kayak off Yanui Beach on Dec 7, have been seen hiding in the southern end of Phuket.

The conference was called in response to claims by Ms Werakan’s mother, Chudarasa Siriprakon, that reports of a foreign couple matching their description were seen camping in a tent near Promthep Cape, Phuket’s southernmost point.

The couple seen reportedly had a kayak matching the description of the one that Mr Juszkiewicz and Ms Werakan were last seen using, Ms Chudarasa said in reporting the alleged sighting to Chalong Police during the search for the missing couple, which was “scaled down” last Friday.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/rawai-mayor-clarifies-response-to-claims-that-missing-kayak-couple-hiding-in-phuket-74132.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-26
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The couple seen reportedly had a kayak matching the description of the one that Mr Juszkiewicz and Ms Werakan were last seen using,

But no-one took a photo or video evidence to show identification of the couple seen?

Strange as most people now carry a phone around with them?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I know you like to amend the facts to fit your unique thought processes, but Creating a False Belief is illegal nearly everywhere.

To call friends to say they are having trouble getting back to shore, then disappearing resulting in a massive air and sea search and prompting  relatives to fly in from Poland and other parts of Thailand would make them liable both legally and morally to pay costs.

Keeping a hire kayak is theft, not extension of hire.  

Now, it will probably be found out that it is some other people that has been seen, and that they are still going to be missing. I also wonder if the phone call has been verified. Maybe they got into a discussion with their friends, and just not want to see them for a while. The friends goes crazy and starts all of this.

You just don´t know until the facts are on the table, do you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Did they ask for the search then ?? 

That's a silly question undeserving of a response.

If, these people are the ones camping out (it appears they may not be) they caused a search to be initiated by failing to return a kayak rented for the day and calling friends they had been with to say they were in trouble getting back to shore.

21 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What in the world have IF to do with anything I posted?

And yes, I understand that word. Can be compared to "in case of".

Yes, I can read English, thank you. However, do you consider that they will owe people a lot of money. If they have been camping all the time, they will be unaware of the search for them. If they are aware of the search, and just wanted to be left alone. Is that any act that can be considered illegal? Since when can you start charge people for wanting to be left alone?

Maybe you mean the rent for the kayak? Oooh! Then it will be 200-300 baht a day. Still not a lot of money to many people.

Perhaps they would be liable for the costs of those who spent days searching for them - boats, helicopters and personnel!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Perhaps they would be liable for the costs of those who spent days searching for them - boats, helicopters and personnel!

Why would they be that. Did they sign any contract of liability and later went of the grid?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nkg said:

Why do you keep posting on the Phuket forum? So far as I'm aware, you don't even live here.

You don't have to live in Thailand to post on any forum on Thai Visa or on any other of the various forums based on the LOS. I'd say most of the contributors are visitors. 

I post on the Pattaya forum yet I don't live there. The way things are going I'm glad I don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

You don't have to live in Thailand to post on any forum on Thai Visa or on any other of the various forums based on the LOS. I'd say most of the contributors are visitors. 

I post on the Pattaya forum yet I don't live there. The way things are going I'm glad I don't.

So you post about issues that you have no direct knowledge of, and that do not impact your life in any way. Would you be offended if I suggested that your posts on the "Pattaya forum" carry less weight than posts from people who actually live there?

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, nkg said:

So you post about issues that you have no direct knowledge of, and that do not impact your life in any way. Would you be offended if I suggested that your posts on the "Pattaya forum" carry less weight than posts from people who actually live there?

No I'd just conclude that you're ill informed and if you want only ex pat residents to contribute to Thai Visa then you should contact its administrators and try and get the rules changed to that effect.

I've two friends who have lived in Pattaya for over 20 years in the same hotel I stay in. One has been in the LOS for 29 years!

One only goes out in the mornings and midday to the Soi Bhukaow market and never goes out at night even over Xmas. He's married to Thai lady who is a seamstress.

The other one is single (29 years) and does his shopping 3 or 4 mornings week and only goes out to a nearby sports bar to watch his favourite team play football once a week. If it's a 3 am Thai time kick off then he does not even bother doing that. Going out to the bars and chasing the girls even at Xmas is also the last thing he'd do. He's long had the T shirt as they say.

If you ask either one if it's busy they'll readily tell you they don't know and will only be able to tell you what it was like on the their daytime excursions which is no indication of what it is like in the evening and at night on the ground which is what most people want to know about.

Neither of them post on Thai Visa nor any other forums because not only do they not want to but also because apart from visa and retirement issues they have nothing to contribute and don't claim to have.

Neither have much interest in nor knowledge of Thai nor Western domestic politics unless it affects the exchange rate. They've been in Thailand too long to care about such matters.

Visitors like myself get out most nights, get around town, go through immigration, travel more, see what's going on and are therefore able and qualified to comment on it because we do actually have considerably more direct knowledge regarding certain issues. My two pals do not and they readily admit it.

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

No I'd just conclude that you're ill informed and if you want only ex pat residents to contribute to Thai Visa then you should contact its administrators and try and get the rules changed to that effect.

I've two friends who have lived in Pattaya for over 20 years in the same hotel I stay in. One has been in the LOS for 29 years!

One only goes out in the mornings and midday to the Soi Bhukaow market and never goes out at night even over Xmas. He's married to Thai lady who is a seamstress.

The other one is single (29 years) and does his shopping 3 or 4 mornings week and only goes out to a nearby sports bar to watch his favourite team play football once a week. If it's a 3 am Thai time kick off then he does not even bother doing that. Going out to the bars and chasing the girls even at Xmas is also the last thing he'd do. He's long had the T shirt as they say.

If you ask either one if it's busy they'll readily tell you they don't know and will only be able to tell you what it was like on the their daytime excursions which is no indication of what it is like in the evening and at night on the ground which is what most people want to know about.

Neither of them post on Thai Visa nor any other forums because not only do they not want to but also because apart from visa and retirement issues they have nothing to contribute and don't claim to have.

Neither have much interest in nor knowledge of Thai nor Western domestic politics unless it affects the exchange rate. They've been in Thailand too long to care about such matters.

Visitors like myself get out most nights, get around town, go through immigration, travel more, see what's going on and are therefore able and qualified to comment on it because we do actually have considerably more direct knowledge regarding certain issues. My two pals do not and they readily admit it.

What's so confusing IraqRon. It seems pretty straight forward to me and possibly to many others.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

What's so confusing IraqRon. It seems pretty straight forward to me and possibly to many others.

In a case like this missing kayak couple it's more likely that holiday makers will know more about such pursuits than Phuket ex pats.

The fellow who rented this kayak was a tourist. In my experience very few residents or expats can be bothered with such activities.

The guided tour attractions are aimed at tourists rather than ex pats and it's mainly tourists and HMs that avail them selves of these sort of offers.

So if anything tourists and visitors are therefore more qualified to comment upon them than are ex pats. You rarely hear of expats visiting elephant parks, water parks and zoos nor hiring jet skis or canoes etc.

• Like 1