How are your half thai-half farang offspring?

lust

On 12/26/2019 at 7:13 AM, FritsSikkink said:

Parents fault, let them talk Thai to the wife / girlfriend. A 4 year old doesn't decide what is on TV. If he doesn't speak Thai at his teacher tell him off. You all just let it happen. 

I agree. Education is up to the parents. And parents should be the guide in life. TV as well. 

However half casts will have a difficult time in public schools. They don't belong to either side, Thai /Western. Therefore it's important and necessary to send them to a private school where they are excepted as what they are. 

I know it's expensive, but it was your decision to have a child. So It's your duty to give the best education, not to let them suffer for a short moment with the mom. 

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

I agree. Education is up to the parents. And parents should be the guide in life. TV as well. 

However half casts will have a difficult time in public schools. They don't belong to either side, Thai /Western. Therefore it's important and necessary to send them to a private school where they are excepted as what they are. 

I know it's expensive, but it was your decision to have a child. So It's your duty to give the best education, not to let them suffer for a short moment with the mom. 

You have a luk krung child?

My children are 11 and 14 neither like speaking Thai. They speak Thai with their mother when she doesn't understand what they say in English. Both are in an English program at school unfortunately they only have one Thai class per day so their written Thai is not very good. In hindsight a 50-50 program may have been better but that would mean they would be taught by Thai's instead of foreigners.  From experience in their previous school I don't have much respect for Thai teachers. That was why I decided on the full English program. I hope they will both attend University in Canada so English proficiency is more important.

As other posters have mentioned my children prefer English content on TV and the internet. Many of their classmates are foreigners so they and their Thai classmates use English as a common language. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A German friend has two children with his Thai wife. The eldest prefers to speak German and went to stay in Germany as soon as he was sixteen, he still lives there and is now 27. He doesn't miss Thailand. The younger prefers to be Thai, went to prison for 7 years for selling drugs and still prefers to live in Thailand and be Thai. My 3 children, age 27, 25 and 24 prefer to be half/Thai Luk Krueng. They have the advantage of two languages, two passports and have good jobs because of it. My son is an actor on Thai TV and movies because Thais like Luk Krueng on TV and in Movies. Dual language is also good for their jobs because Thai businesses need to deal with foreigners.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I think not only depends on what school, kids need to have a lot of confidence in themselves and be able to fend of bullies. Bullies always go for the weak ones, if they find out the child fights back (verbal or physical) they will look for someone else.  

i agree with the post in this thread that states differing lifestyle requires differing handling, I write below from a guy living in a rural area, fully understanding that a gated community in a city is  different call.

My son is 13 English not so good as I am not there full time.

We live in Isaan - He is readily accepted in the local community and has many relatives who treat him no different to any of the other other Thai children he mixes with

He loves being out in the mud pulling out fish, he is industrious at school, and every evening completes his home work before going to play football with his friends

He helps his mother on the farm to earn pocket money, He can iron his own school uniform.

I have only had to discipline him once a slap on the bum when he decided to bite my finger hard as a child

He is given the choice of schools chose the regular path, I guess to school with his friends, but he is already thinking of his next move.

He will follow the education process as he chooses.

I have worked on him enjoying his childhood and he is to my mind growing up an intelligent rounded young man

Like all boys his age he like motorbikes, rides his mothers motorcycle to school unlike most he wears a helmet.

He is in a position where he can build a home grow some produce and live simply if he chooses to do so he will continue to be happy - already in place for him and his sister

Should he wish to travel the world he can save and go, not worry about 'employment' complications as I anticipate him identifying a project to earn a little revenue or maybe selecting a trade, he is independent and would probably insist on paying his own training.

There is of course the possibility he will become a young father with his good looks and charm.

This is Thailand guys self sufficiency - my children will have fun and always have a base where they can return to and a family who cares - how far, and, where they go, will not be defined by a singular need to work for reward, but choice.

• Like 2

My kids grew up Fulong, didn't get any $hit in USA till they got to high school, a PE Teacher told oldest where you from boy, you ain't American....My son claimed to be Eskimo....OH <deleted> that dude is lucky I did not give him a hindu dot with a 9mm....My family has been in every conflict back to or before Civil war..... But Katy Tx  so understand the heathens... The boys still fulong and we have retired here, They can embrace their Thainess or blow it off, not my problem. I been married 44 years and if I could go back it would be the same road...MY WIFE MY LIFE...y'alldon't like it go away an short jerky motions...

• Haha 1

my daughter is 7 years complains to me about the english teacher cant speak english and from what ive seen she cant spell either shes the only one in the school that speaks english and already sick of translating for the teacher they asked if i could help the school for 1 hour a day with no pay but imagration said no but i was prepaid just to help thing are realy getting out of hand when you cant get invold with your childrens education

Very interesting !  The children of Thai western parents can be very beautiful . I have had misgivings about having mixed race children unless you are living in your own western country . My wife fancied to have a baby with me when I first came to Thailand to live . i resisted , but more because we both had adult children and didn't need to start again in middle age . In fact we have enough to cope with Thai grandchildren , whom we almost exclusively parent .

My lad is 5 and when he speaks to his mother it's Thai then he will turn to me a switch to English, as for youtube he will watch English and thai also some Spanish, so far no problems at school but I do worry a bit as he progresses in school, Yinn was saying about half Thai farang kids being good looking I must say we have had many people comment how good looking he is, ''obviously from the mothers side '' so @Yinn how to we get him on television or is that reserved for the hi-so families . my vote is on the way !!

5 hours ago, peter harrison said:

my daughter is 7 years complains to me about the english teacher cant speak english and from what ive seen she cant spell either shes the only one in the school that speaks english and already sick of translating for the teacher they asked if i could help the school for 1 hour a day with no pay but imagration said no but i was prepaid just to help thing are realy getting out of hand when you cant get invold with your childrens education

Get your kid in a good school then.

when we see thai people, he’s not interested in talking with them. He will just say to me, they don’t speak English. When we watch tv, it has to be English, same with music. 

Has he started school yet? Our 4 year old was just like that until he started school last August. Much more friendly with English speakers than Thai. And with men than women curiously enough. My theory was that Thais are always touching/hugging kids, which he didn't like. Foreigners don't tend to do that as much. His Thai wasn't as good as his English either.

Since he's been at school he's turned all that around. Funny really - pay the earth for an international school and all he seems to have learned is Thai language...

Edited by cocopops

11 hours ago, peter harrison said:

This is a wind up right.... 

9 hours ago, ancharee said:

My lad is 5 and when he speaks to his mother it's Thai then he will turn to me a switch to English, as for youtube he will watch English and thai also some Spanish, so far no problems at school but I do worry a bit as he progresses in school, Yinn was saying about half Thai farang kids being good looking I must say we have had many people comment how good looking he is, ''obviously from the mothers side '' so yinn how to we get him on television or is that reserved for the hi-so families . my vote is on the way !!

IME it's just because they're whiter. That's all it comes down to ATEOTD. 

7 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

My two boys were born and raised in the U.S.  I could never convince my wife to speak Thai to them. 

that says more about your wife I think. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 4:39 PM, FruitPudding said:

Yeah, my kid is like this.

That's what happens when they are called "farang", "farang noi", and " luk krung" by the locals. 

They grow up believing they aren't Thai.

That's a very big assumption... any supporting points for your assumption?

Give the kid a chance, @ 4 years old still walking around bumping into things.

At that age they wouldn't have the first clue what you are on about.

Best advice would be give them a good education and then when they're old enough, maybe 18, they'll realise the importance of their origin.

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

Not  really shes  done herself a  favour and seen Thailand for what it really is, and its  not  that good.

I must admit that is my view.  I was just being polite.  When she sees all her villiage cousins of her age, married at 16/17, with a few kids and working on a farm, she knows how lucky she is.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I must admit that is my view.  I was just being polite.  When she sees all her villiage cousins of her age, married at 16/17, with a few kids and working on a farm, she knows how lucky she is.  

Well my wife is married with kids, works on the farm has family around her, and much prefers her life to that of her sister working in the factory. Being your own master through the days can be very rewarding and low stress, many 'educated' people struggle to achieve this.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Well my wife is married with kids, works on the farm has family around her, and much prefers her life to that of her sister working in the factory. Being your own master through the days can be very rewarding and low stress, many 'educated' people struggle to achieve this.

indeed so. 

My now 12 year old son had the same identification problem when he was younger, "I'm an English boy",  "You think so son, look at your birth certificate." That has all changed, although he speaks fluent English he is reluctant to speak English to me in front of Thai people (I can speak Thai) Another problem has arrived however, he reads English better than he can read Thai and his teacher has complained to me about it, his last test at school:- marks out of 50, English 49  Thai 20. I have read all the Harry Potter books in Thai and still have them so I gave one to his mother and told her to practice reading Thai with him but that petered out, not consequent enough so I started reading Thai with him but found I could read far faster than he could, he complained that there were too many 'grown up' words in the book so I tried him with his Thai reading textbooks there he was OK but the Thai in those books is really easy.

He is often on the computer playing online games with other players, some in England, some in Sweden which is problematic with the time difference, English is used all the time then but now he has found a couple of Thai kids online and it's all done partially in Thai, they communicate in English when writing comments and in Thai when telephoning (often in tandem when playing) He see's a lot of games where American teenagers are playing, much to my annoyance (papa what does he mean, "screw the bitch" and why do they say "mother f....r"). He sometimes acquires an American accent through playing which I hurriedly knock out of him.

He isn't interested in his English heritage, I have tried to teach him some English history but all he wants to do is get back to playing online, it has become an addiction and it is impossible to wean him off of it, thank God for school.

• Like 1

Very interesting topic so far!  My two luk krung boys were born in the USA.  We moved to Bangkok when they were 4 & 2 so they could meet and get to know their Thai family.  Originally only planned to stay for 2 years but ended up staying for almost 12 years.  Wife is a Thammasat grad and then went to the USA for grad school like all of her brothers and sisters did.  Kids went to very good Thai schools both public and private.  Moved back to the USA when they were 16 & 14 so they could attend high school and then university.  Both of them speak, read, and write Thai and English at native fluency.  They are university graduates and are very successful in the business world in their chosen fields.  One of my son handles the SE Asia accounts of his corporate employer which includes Thailand.  Now at the age of 34 & 32 I don't see either of them moving back to Thailand to live.  Each of them have worked as servers in Thai restaurants in the USA while going to school.  They could actually earn quite a bit of money doing that due to the tips they received.