Obtaining a Thai IDP

Two questions: 

1) I have a Thai 2 Year Temporary Driving Licence - Can I obtain an International Driving Permit from Thailand? 

2) I also have a full UK driving Licence., but, as I am not in the UK I can't go to the nearest Post Office and obtain an IDP (for £5.50)

Can I obtain an International Driving Permit from the UK Post Office (i.e. apply online). 

I can't find any information on either point, but either would be a solution to my driving requirements for an upcoming trip to Japan.

1. No. Thailand only issues IDPs if you have a 5 year or lifetime license.

2. Yes, but not directly through the Post Office. You can get the AA to represent you and apply on your behalf. You will need to send them your original UK license. They willl then post your UK license and the IDP back to you abroad. It costs, but it's possible. For Japan you will need a 1949 IDP.

Check out this link:

https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/driving-abroad/idp

Here is the form you need to apply:

idp-application-form-2019.pdf

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, blackcab said:

2. Yes, but not directly through the Post Office. You can get the AA to represent you and apply on your behalf. You will need to send them your original UK license. They willl then post your UK license and the IDP back to you abroad. It costs, but it's possible. For Japan you will need a 1949 IDP.

But it's worth bearing in mind that to get an IDP from the Post Office (agent or not) the applicant must live in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/get-an-idp

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

You'd have to have a five year license to apply for a Thai one. 

+1

Clear rules about that.

And a temporary license is not even valid for driving to a neighboring country (e.g Laos or Malaysia) by the rules.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/

No bickering about "license", thanks.

It's a 1949 convention IDP.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 12/26/2019 at 11:25 PM, blackcab said:

Yes, but not directly through the Post Office. You can get the AA to represent you and apply on your behalf. You will need to send them your original UK license. They willl then post your UK license and the IDP back to you abroad. It costs, but it's possible. For Japan you will need a 1949 IDP.

That's interesting and worth knowing.

Earlier this year when i needed to do my annual renewal the AA website stated that you had to go get an IDP from a post office, no other option.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

Thanks for the replies. 

My Thai 2 yr Temp DL is due for renewal. 
I’ve had the 5 year DL in the past but was only able to renew to a 2 year temp licence as I was not on a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

I’m still not on a Non-Immigrant Visa (Thai Elite), will have a yellow house book (Tambien Baan). 

I’m wondering if anyone has recently been successful in securing a 5 Year Thai DL when not on a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

If possible, securing a 5 Year Thai DL and IDP (Issued in Thailand) would be an ideal solution. 

In America, you can get an "international driver's license" from AAA just by sending them a copy of your driver's license and $20.

I drove around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and even up to Mae Sai through checkpoints. 

Never needed it. YMMV.

Here's a place that says they can get you one for $49.  Good luck, Comrade.

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9JbwBRAAEiwAnWa4QybsZ2cyMQN4rLdRyyA9XrQ4sU75HPew9fwFG334HFfdw_uM1yIi9BoCVqQQAvD_BwE

Edited by SiSePuede419

6 minutes ago, gamesgplayemail said:

Where to get an IDP in CHONBURI ? is it easy and fast ?

how long is it valid ? thank you.

Do you mean an IDP to accompany your Thai License to permits you to drive legally in other countries outside of Thailand ?

If so, you can get an IDP from your local Department of Land Transport (i.e. the place which issued your Driving License).

Reports suggest its a fairly quick process (depends on the size of the queue I imagine). 

Validity - I guess 12 months.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Deparment+of+Land+Transport+Chonburi/@13.1882892,100.8149012,11z/data=!3m1!4b1

This thread has discussing on the topic:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

In America, you can get an "international driver's license" from AAA just by sending them a copy of your driver's license and $20.

I drove around Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and even up to Mae Sai through checkpoints. 

Never needed it. YMMV.

Here's a place that says they can get you one for $49.  Good luck, Comrade.

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9JbwBRAAEiwAnWa4QybsZ2cyMQN4rLdRyyA9XrQ4sU75HPew9fwFG334HFfdw_uM1yIi9BoCVqQQAvD_BwE

Thats one of the bogus sites, they are no more authorised than I am to give out IDPs.

If you read the legal disclaimer it says not valid etc

https://internationaldriversassociation.com/legal-disclaimer/

• Like 2

Validity is 12 months/one year. Based on 1949 convention.

(for what country do you want to use it?)

EDIT:

at least three different DLT offices in Chonburi province.

There were statements that the Pattaya/Banglamung office ("near Regent School") does not issue IDPs.

Does one need to go to head office in Chonburi city?

Maybe someone can confirm?

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats one of the bogus sites, they are no more authorised than I am to give out IDPs.

Waste of money.

There is a whole lot of deceptive offers around.

"all classes", "20 year validity" and such nonsense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

There were statements that the Pattaya/Banglamung office ("near Regent School") does not issue IDPs.

Does one need to go to head office in Chonburi city?

Maybe someone can confirm?

Correct and yes. I did this earlier this year. Fairly painless and one of the supervisors there basically walked me through it and filled the paperwork in.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you mean an IDP to accompany your Thai License to permits you to drive legally in other countries outside of Thailand ?

If so, you can get an IDP from your local Department of Land Transport (i.e. the place which issued your Driving License).

Reports suggest its a fairly quick process (depends on the size of the queue I imagine). 

Validity - I guess 12 months.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Deparment+of+Land+Transport+Chonburi/@13.1882892,100.8149012,11z/data=!3m1!4b1

This thread has discussing on the topic:

Slightly more recent thread -:thumbsup:

@gamesgplayemail may be useful

Edited by topt
  • Like 1

I have a different question - how to get Thai driving license?

Here's the thing - I have driver's license from EU country - but because I have permanent residence in Thailand, I am not able to get a new one there; no more ID Card or Driver's license with address outside the country. However my old driver's license (the pink folded paper one, before they changed to plastic cards) is still valid until 2023 and I could get international driver's license (basically the gray folded paper translation - Thai included - on that one) valid for a year.

Can I use these to get a Thai driver's license or do I need to pass the driving exam again as after 2023 I'd be out of luck getting the license from my birth country?

Anyone has experience with this?

19 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I have a different question - how to get Thai driving license?

Here's the thing - I have driver's license from EU country - but because I have permanent residence in Thailand, I am not able to get a new one there; no more ID Card or Driver's license with address outside the country. However my old driver's license (the pink folded paper one, before they changed to plastic cards) is still valid until 2023 and I could get international driver's license (basically the gray folded paper translation - Thai included - on that one) valid for a year.

Can I use these to get a Thai driver's license or do I need to pass the driving exam again as after 2023 I'd be out of luck getting the license from my birth country?

Anyone has experience with this?

You may be able get a Thai Driving licence without an IDP and go through the regular steps without having to do the full exam. 

Note: the Paper Licences in the UK lost its legal status in June 2015. i.e. people have to have the Card Version.

It would be best to check if that's the case in your home country (it could have been an EU thing) - not sure. 

Its worth a try at the DLT with your paper licence anyway.

On 12/28/2019 at 2:30 PM, gamesgplayemail said:

Where to get an IDP in CHONBURI ? is it easy and fast ?

how long is it valid ? thank you.

The DLT is on the main road from centre of Chonburi out towards Bangkok. It is quite well out on the right hand side. If coming from the south side, better to come round the bypass and then turn back towards Chonburi and the entrance would then be on your side of the road.

As you drive in Licences are on the left but they were putting up a new building last time I went so not sure where the office for IDP is now. I saw a guy get one in about 20 minutes, think it was 550 baht and valid for a year.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You may be able get a Thai Driving licence without an IDP and go through the regular steps without having to do the full exam. 

Note: the Paper Licences in the UK lost its legal status in June 2015. i.e. people have to have the Card Version.

It would be best to check if that's the case in your home country (it could have been an EU thing) - not sure. 

Its worth a try at the DLT with your paper licence anyway.

Thank you for this, Richard. As for my country - they kept postponing when paper licenses are getting canned. Now it's 2023. Expiry date on my license is actually 2054. Anyway, thanks for this and I'll give it a try.

Happy holidays!