Gated Village Rules

I have recently joined the committee of a gated village in Pattaya and have assumed the role of secretary. The committee currently have contact details (phone no / email) for less than half the owners of the village and for various reasons I would obviously like to update this. Many houses are rented so just pushing round a circular would not solve the problem. Also I am wondering that even if an owner received a request from the committee, whether they are obliged by Thai law to pass on this information to us.

I was on a "residents council" for a community in the US so a different set of laws but basically, it was the obligation of the home owner to provide any required information regarding renters.  Since renters were not a part of the association contract they could not be compelled to provide personal information to the council, only to their landlords.  We did have a standard rental agreement attachment that property owners were obligated to use in which renters agreed to comply with community rules and regulations. 

Edited by dddave

On 12/31/2019 at 4:40 PM, dddave said:

I was on a "residents council" for a community in the US so a different set of laws but basically, it was the obligation of the home owner to provide any required information regarding renters.  Since renters were not a part of the association contract they could not be compelled to provide personal information to the council, only to their landlords.  We did have a standard rental agreement attachment that property owners were obligated to use in which renters agreed to comply with community rules and regulations. 

Thia is Thailand.

On 12/31/2019 at 11:42 AM, lelapin said:

I have recently joined the committee of a gated village in Pattaya and have assumed the role of secretary.

Don't do it. If you get a chance, get out ... don't ruin your life with 'voluntary' committee things in LOS, it can turn into your living nightmare.

• Like 2

Also I am wondering that even if an owner received a request from the committee, whether they are obliged by Thai law to pass on this information to us.

I doubt of that and really hope it's not the case. The way the Committee must contact owners is by publishing information letters/reports in the village (and on Internet if possible), or by sending registered letters for important matters such as AGM.

Unsure why would the Committee would need my phone# or email??

• Like 1

Also I am wondering that even if an owner received a request from the committee, whether they are obliged by Thai law to pass on this information to us.

I forgot to mention the 'key word', or lack of it ... which I didn't see in your post. Juristic Person.

In a nutshell, Thai law, very difficult for moo bans/villages. 

If your village is not registered under a juristic person with the land department ... get out of that committee. Don't do it.

I understand condo owners joining committees, if they have a registered juristic person and at least there is the Condo Act for some directions/Thai law.

But for a moo baan/village, non existing. Only trouble ... no Thai law or foot to stand on. 

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I doubt of that and really hope it's not the case. The way the Committee must contact owners is by publishing information letters/reports in the village (and on Internet if possible), or by sending registered letters for important matters such as AGM.

Unsure why would the Committee would need my phone# or email??

That is OK if owner lives in the house. What if he has tenants who don't pass on mail to him delivered to the house.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, brianthainess said:

You could end up with having to deal with residents complaints....???? run a mile.

The trouble is everybody in the village took that attitude what then happens to the overall state of said village.......

@lelapin I like the idea of @GoldenTriangle and wish our village adopted it. Personally I would much rather receive any information by email.