Thai retailers' plastic bags ban comes into effect

Jonathan Fairfield

15 hours ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

People not only use plastic bags for groceries, but for garbage. What are we supposed to put our garbage in when we throw it out? There will be garbage everywhere on the streets now blowing around. What about paper bags? What about plastic bottles? What about the food at stands, that is all put in bags? Another Thai brilliant idea without thinking about the consequences.

Crazy, I know...but here me out!

There is this thing called " a shop" and you cab go there and buy garbage- bags!

It's not that hard! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark mark said:

Or you have to pay 20c ? or maybbe more for them possibly ? ... It was like then for a while I think, but I do not know about it now. ? 

That was a while back, maybe still the case depending on the State/Territory but I 'think" they have been banned everywhere now. Can still buy the thicker plastic obviously along with "green" bags.

• Thanks 1

FINALLY something is being done about their offensive overuse of single-use plastics here!!! And for those who said what are the alternatives and how will they get food home- really?? What do you think everyone did before plastic bags were invented?? And that was only like 30 or 40 years ago! They used REUSABLE containers like many still use now- like the cute little stacked food containers with the handle- pinto boxes or whatever. And reusable bags to carry their groceries or whatever, and if I go over the amount my bags can carry (or if I am ordering for delivery) I ask for their cardboard boxes that they all throw out. And I suppose maybe shops will bring back paper bags, like we had growing up, for those who go over the reusable bags they brought, or forgot them. Every country is initiating this, so we all need to start getting used to it! It will be an inconvenience for a time, until we are used to it, and all realize there is no alternative now and it is the right thing to do for the earth. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

There is this thing called " a shop" and you cab go there and buy garbage- bags!

It's not that hard! 

Or even better you just go on lazada and buy 300 PLASTIC BAGS like the shops used to have...Just like I did cost me a whole 170THB for 300 of them and will just throw a pack of 30 in my bike to use at a time...and then use as garbage bags later on......All my friends have done the same, turns out way cheaper then buying garbage bags too!!!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

With some of the reactions here, I wonder, how any of you made it this far in life!

????

Absolutely. Its a bag.

If the goal is to reduce the number of useless bags in circulation, then its a start. Back in the USA, I carry shopping bags in every car. No big deal. If I need garbage bags, I get plastic bags with my groceries, no big deal. if no plastic bags available, no big deal, buy some garbage bags. 

No big deal. Carry a small shopping bag. If you need garbage bags, buy them and TAKE NO PLASTIC BAGS WHILE SHOPPING. No big deal. Or if it suits you, buy some plastic bags at the grocery and scratch the garbage bags.

But ya dont need a small plastic bag to carry your single soda from 7-11, or a sarnie, or three packs of cheddar from Gourmet market. Ive already changed my bag behavior years ago so this whole hullabalo is meaningless to me. If the whole world went back to paper bags (and paid the higher grocery ticket to make up for the added expense), no big deal.

How sad life must be if you feel compelled to complain about something as trivial as plastic bags. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Quote:-

"Every Day Say No to Plastic Bags"

Interesting, what if I was to say "Yes"???

Oh yeah I remember now Seven Eleven asked me if I wanted a plastic bag and I said yes yesterday. It looks like it’s just a voluntary thing. Except for at least one grocery store that I know of. I suspect this story might be yet just another over exaggeration. It doesn’t really look like plastic bags are going anywhere anytime soon anyway. 

• Thanks 1

Rubbish and Recycling - Thai style ?

... About 20 Years ago I suggested to our Village Head man that they have Garbage Collection around here ! Like back then they did not have it, most people just throwing their rubbish down by the river, and when it flooded, ... it was just taken away, or Buried in Silt.

And the Village Head man just looked at me whimsically, and said about my Idea of collecting the Garbage "So then what do we do with it" ? Like "Where do we put it then" ? ... And me not being a garbage management expert, particularly in a very Flat River Flood plain, .. I just said "Hmmm" and quietly shut up.

... Now we DO have Garbage Collection ! ... But I still do not know what they do, do with it ? ... Probably land fills, away from the River I guess.

But I do know that there are some quite big, bulk whole sale rubbish sorting concerns around. ...

Our neighbors used to be Poor, and they used to buy a 10 ton truck load of Mixed Old Bottles ! ... Like the truck used to back in and just tip out the 10 tons of Bottles, down the back of their Yard ! ... And they then used to sort through them and bag up the different brands that were worth anything, .... And then re-sell them back to other more serious recyclers, or various suppliers, at a BIG markup on what a 10 ton truck of Mixed Bottles were worth ! - That was how they did it.

... I watched the good Woman from there one morning, when she seemed to be pretty <deleted> off, and wanted to go home to see her parents, while her Husband was out driving his truck ! Like Long distance so for several days ! ... But she did not have enough money for the fuel for her Pickup .....

So in her working gear, I saw her sort out about 3 good bags of the Nicer Bottles, …  You could hear that Clink Climk Climk ... every now and again when she was short of money I guess ! .... She put them in the back of her Pickup, and then back in to her house, take a shower, and get her Gam rags on, …  and off she went ! ... She would sell the Bottles, to get necessary money, to buy fuel for her pickup, so that she could get there, back to her home !!!

(She later Left him I think) 

Recycling, Thai style. Right ? -

( And she WAS a very good looking Woman, from a Foreigners point of View I can also tell you !!! - Like way too got to be sorting Bottles, I always thought !!! )

Just now, Visarghhhh said:

Central market sold us reusable bags for 3 baht each, and Family Mart did not have plastic bags today. I say Great! 

Those would be a good idea like the bags they have at the organic stores in the United States. I’d like those a lot better actually. 

26 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

With some of the reactions here, I wonder, how any of you made it this far in life!

????

Ive made it thus far only due to readily available (and free) bags that I can put mygarbage in.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

Markmark, you sound like a docile drone that any govt would love.

you must comply ! rules are rules (even if they are stupid and didn't make them or have any say in them) OBEY  No thinking.

Just Clean up the Environment. ... Like work towards a cleaner world ! ? ... Nothing Political in that I think ? and a personal thing ! Not a government one. ...

With out a Push, ... People WILL NOT CHANGE. .... So whether YOU like it or not, ... some times they DO need a Push ! ... and well,, I really do not like the Government either. ... But I WILL back them on this one.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

Markmark, you sound like a docile drone that any govt would love.

you must comply ! rules are rules (even if they are stupid and didn't make them or have any say in them) OBEY  No thinking.

Actually, Like in Germany, where they all are on the side, ... but it is just to expensive / difficult to do it .... the real thing is, IF the RULES will actually work ! ? Or Actually accomplish any thing. Like in this case it is not a Government rules thing, ... It is "Can it be done" ? .... "Will It Work" ? thing.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:
56 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

It's not that hard! 

Or even better you just go on lazada and buy 300 PLASTIC BAGS like the shops used to have...Just like I did cost me a whole 170THB for 300 of them and will just throw a pack of 30 in my bike to use at a time...and then use as garbage bags later on......All my friends have done the same, turns out way cheaper then buying garbage bags too!!!

So you're saying you don't re-use these bags that you buy from Lazada for shopping as well as eventually use them for garbage and you're bragging about the savings!?

I re-use the same set of bags that I carry with me hundreds of times for shopping and rarely have to buy any from anyone. If one wears out I've been known to use packing tape to repair it. If I can't repair it, I'll pay the 1 baht at FoodLand to get a new one. No big deal.

I do buy some of the 18 x 20 inch black bags and wire twist seals (they fit my two flip-lid, foot-operated trash bins perfectly) from FoodLand but use them sparingly and they have uses other than just for garbage as well.

You don't seem to get the point of why the retailers stopped (or were told to stop) giving bags out at no charge, do you? I mean come on how much garbage are you generating, anyway?

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I do buy some of the 19 x 24 inch black bags from FoodLand but use them sparingly and they have uses other than just for garbage as well.

I cut a head and 2 arm holes in them and wear em on the scoot when its raining.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Just Clean up the Environment. ... Like work towards a cleaner world ! ? ... Nothing Political in that I think ? and a personal thing ! Not a government one. ...

With out a Push, ... People WILL NOT CHANGE. .... So whether YOU like it or not, ... some times they DO need a Push ! ... and well,, I really do not like the Government either. ... But I WILL back them on this one.

Mark2x, it's like the 2000b fine for a cigarette butt on the street. It's like the enforcement of traffic rules in Thailand, it's like "your papers please (because you look odd)".

Instead of banning plastic bags, why not ban the DUMPING of lots of garbage/trash on the roadsides?

I have nothing against common sense environmental stuff, but this bag ban <deleted> is not common sense.

• Like 1

Just now, glennb6 said:

Instead of banning plastic bags, why not ban the DUMPING of lots of garbage/trash on the roadsides?

It is actually a fineable offence but there seems to be a ban in place for enforcing it !!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

Mark2x, it's like the 2000b fine for a cigarette butt on the street. It's like the enforcement of traffic rules in Thailand, it's like "your papers please (because you look odd)".

I have nothing against common sense environmental stuff, but this bag ban <deleted> is not common sense.

So if you do not Dump them on the Road side, ... Where do you Put them ? In the every increasing Landfills ? So that we have to then deal with the hazards that they cause ? .... They Really are not necessary of you think about it. ... so why not lets just give that a try. ?

• Like 1

Just now, Mark mark said:

So if you do not Dump them on the Road side, ... Where do you Put them ? In the every increasing Landfills ? So that we have to then deal with the hazards that they cause ? .... They Really are not necessary of you think about it. ... so why not lets just give that a try. ?

Pick yourself a mooban that has regularly swept soi's.... sneak in at night and dump it there..... next morning it will be cleaned up !!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, MyTHaiMyKe said:

People not only use plastic bags for groceries, but for garbage. What are we supposed to put our garbage in when we throw it out? There will be garbage everywhere on the streets now blowing around. What about paper bags? What about plastic bottles? What about the food at stands, that is all put in bags? Another Thai brilliant idea without thinking about the consequences.

Don't make garbage. I pity Thailand for having that type of attitude dumped on them.

• Haha 1

Maybe a good start is at home: and start your own rubbish selection: food to the compost, plastics in one bin and cardboards in another. Whatever is recyclable, such as plastic bottles are collected by the ban. When you go buy take away, take your own metal bento box (or whatever they’re called in Thailand, multi boxes you can buy at Makro etc). And get you Thai wife (or whatever) to talk about it to the neighbours and friends. It is a matter of discipline which then becomes a habit. 

If we, farangs, are so clever and dedicated, to continuously criticise our host country is not very productive.  

9133C1DF-2E44-44A4-8077-D511BF6CFDB3.jpeg

6B4D1C8C-F42F-4F62-A43E-A357825E2764.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

last sigh on this topic because I know I cannot change stupid...

plastic bottles for liquids (food and otherwise), plastic wrap for ready to eat foods to keep them fresh, plastic coated paper based containers to keep them water-tight, plastic trash cans to throw trash in (Oh god NO!). You cannot ban plastic, well you could if you want to go back to riding horses and cooking on a camp fire, I don't think so.

If we did away with all Plastic we would have just about noting left ! Like no cars or just about anything, all also needing recycling. We are just trying Banning Plastic Bags. … And it HAS been done internationally with very few Complaints also I think. ... How successful it is ? Well I do not know ... but it is a start, an experiment and a step in the right direction I and most people think.

I think that as in other places also, banning Plastic Straws and disposable Cups lids, and if UN necessary, Spoons, Knives and Forks is also a good Idea and thing to try.

Like it is all biodegradable I think ? … If left in the sun ! ? ... But when it gets buried, or goes under water in the river or Sea, .... I think it does not get that sun's destruction. .... Hence always is there. ... Until Buried or removed some way. …  Which is not happening. … And I would guess that Plastic bags are a MAJOR part of all of this river and marine Pollution. ... Like just take a swim off Pattaya and see what you think ? ... As the used Plastic bags, and other garbage get caught on your feet and arms ? 

… Like what is happening to our oceans is way WAY enough for you to consider I think, before you exercise your Personal rights to be Objectionable in this case I think. ?