Firework death: Half a kilo of gunpowder for 400 baht - but you need to stand 50 feet away

webfact

15 minutes ago, asean said:

i was in soi 7 ten new years eves ago when somone set one of those off. The shockwave took out the main transformer blacking our the whole soi at about 12.01am. It was eerie quiet and black until someone softly muttered happy new year. Those are serious bangers.

the size of that reminds me of fireworks arrays set up on barges in bodies of water remotely ignited as to keep a safe distance from people and structures.

looks like industrial size pyrotechnic device.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The media said that such fireworks were on sale all over Pattaya on New Year's Eve and were even easily available online.

Openly on sale yet illegal... police doing a fine job again, keeping a low profile!

I have seen what 2 lbs will do..1 lb will demolish a vehicle....100 meters is not enough...try 500 meters behind a 15 ft berm.  It will rick your world.  Surprised windows weren’t blown out. Top it off alcohol and poor choices ended a wonderful life.  This was avoidable just like the senseless thai driving habits that kill so many.  Oh well, I guess keep it up!  RiP, my condolences to everyone’s loss...

this happened to an intelligent bloke who has worked in the MotoGp paddock for several years.

Many years with the Suzuki MotoGp team.

What the heck was he thinking of?

I know he was drunk.......but really?

RIP mate, you will be missed by a lot of people

but blimey, this should never have happened.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

It had the power to explode to a distance of 100 meters and people should have been 50 feet away. 

Somebody explain this please.

It is inexplicable, and sums up Thailand perfectly. A total lack of awareness of danger, in any shape or form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This is a cut away of what gets fired out of the top of the tube by the gunpowder charge. Generally the shell is made of plastic and that's what hit the guy in the head while he was bending over the tube. usually 3, 4, 5 or 6 inches in diameter.

1_ZSTgL2rqeif2UkrIH-Qakg.png

Yep, that'll blow your head off 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. It's sad another person had to die but honestly what where they thinking? I can't wrap my head around it.

I suspect the man thought he could fix it easily if he could only see what was going wrong? I'm not sure but it looked as if he was blowing on the fuse. 

RIP, I feel for his family, friends and fiancee.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, USMC RETIRED 2015 said:

Just like anything else in the world....someone gets hurt or dies because of stupidity and the majority wants to take away the fun.  I will still buy fireworks...been using them since I was 7 years old...I will still use plastic bags...been using them my whole life...I will still drive my cars and motorbikes on the carnage infested roads....been driving since I was 14....

I am just glad I live in Thailand and nothing will be done about any of these things...and I can still live the way I want to live, unlike other countries that are truly land of rules....

wow badge of honor too be still using plastic bags. ????

But I do agree with the general idea, that people want to remove fun just because of an accident. 

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It was reported the fuse failed to light several times, which should have set off alarm bells. Says something about the quality standards to which these devices are manufactured.

Jasmine is the one to feel sorry for,

Yes, it would have been pretty short by last time he tried to set it off.

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

When I was a kid back in the UK we were always taught on Guy Fawkes Night that you never went back to a firework that failed to go off, and under no circumstances did you ever lean your face over a firework. At his age, Mr. McLaren should have been aware of these things, but probably the alcohol made him careless or reckless.

I suppose nowadays, with many parents frowning on individual fireworks and most people going to organised displays, that kids simply don't get taught these basic safety rules any more. 

When I was aged 12 to 15 years old in the UK I regularly used to lose my eyebrows and singe my fingers attempting to set off dud fireworks on November 6th. It took me 3 years to outgrow my stupidity and not do it any more.

I still have the scar on my back where a rocket with no stick whizzed around and lodged in my genuine plastic leather jacket and burnt through that, my woolly jumper, shirt and into me. I got taken to the hospital where they put paraffin gauze dressings on it which had to be changed daily. The dressings were 4 x 4 inches and 1 was not enough and another was cut and fitted.

The only good news from that was that I was excused PT and games for about 4 months.

Edited by billd766
edited for bad spelling after I had posted, again.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It had the power to explode to a distance of 328 feet and people should have been 15 meters away.

Explains a lot, stopping distances, road death numbers, ability to tell the time, education system, vote counting accuracy, The Law.... 

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

the size of that reminds me of fireworks arrays set up on barges in bodies of water remotely ignited as to keep a safe distance from people and structures.

looks like industrial size pyrotechnic device.

You're correct, and they are often set up on highrise rooftops as well. The mortar type pyrotechnic is normally detonated by a licensed pyrotechnician using a squib and electric current........not a fuse.

Edited by allenberg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

I suspect the man thought he could fix it easily if he could only see what was going wrong? I'm not sure but it looked as if he was blowing on the fuse. 

RIP, I feel for his family, friends and fiancee.

Fix it, I didn't see anything wrong. 

It looks as though he faded, if the act was not intentional, then possibly an alcohol induced lapse. 

Yes, feel for his family and friends. 

8 hours ago, Beggar said:

Obviously not a single person in this bar prevented him from doing what he did...

Yes, when I watched the video the only words I could hear from his watching 'friends' were something like "Here we go!". If I saw a legless mate putting his face over the top of a fizzing firework I'd be shouting for him to get the f out of there. Strange. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Instructions also said "light blue touch paper and retire"

Not retire, and then and blow yourself up!

Around 60 years ago, Guy Fawkes Night, I had my fireworks in a shoe box. I lit a sparkler, threw it up into the air and of course it landed in the shoe box. I went towards it but luckily my dad grabbed me and took me indoors. We peered through the window. It took a few seconds, but off they all went. Lucky me! Those were the days when you could join the 'fireworks club' and pay a few coppers from your pocket money every week to get a good selection for Bonfire Night. I have never, ever bought a firework since that night.

I'm very sad for the guy and the folks he's left behind...it could only have been alcohol or drugs telling him to do it. If he'd had his sober head on perhaps he wouldn't even have been trying to light it in a busy place. So sad.

forgot the cardinal rule here that products and services are not regulated with public safety in mind here. hard to sue like you can in other countries. dont let your guard down and forget it!

sorry you went out this way man!

the person and company who made this product is stupid. not the guy who lit it. get your facts straight!

Edited by fhickson

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

this happened to an intelligent bloke who has worked in the MotoGp paddock for several years.

Many years with the Suzuki MotoGp team.

What the heck was he thinking of?

I know he was drunk.......but really?

RIP mate, you will be missed by a lot of people

but blimey, this should never have happened.

But No Common sense.