U.S. strike kills Iran Quds Force commander Soleimani - Pentagon

webfact

34 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I sit in front of a computer and trade for a living. I should exercise more however I enjoy watching my net worth climb the ladder. I do not assume I am alone when I say that. 

at least you assume your patriotism is based on short time financial gains - like Trump - oil and stocks, that's all folks  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, URMySunshine said:

Nice troll of the US expats here living the dream. Your armchair warrior set at full defcom 3 alert. Lock and load we have another war siree....

Troll?  You do sort of wonder why some guy living on the other side of the world posts so much on a World Forum in Thailand. There should be no shortage of those in his own time zone. He's at least 12 hours behind us here and staying up at night to try and get a rise out of us--shouldn't that make life a bit difficult for someone who claims to sit in front of a computer and trade during the open hours of the US markets? 

2 minutes ago, Opl said:

at least you assume your patriotism is based on short time financial gains - like Trump - oil and stocks, that's all folks  

I don't buy oil and never have held it. Today's play was cyber security. I am not an idiot and not nihilistic.

So what happens now? ...... but it seems more probable that Iran will wish to strike a US target rather than a proxy. An Ambassador may be assassinated. Further missile strikes against US outposts in Iraq are also possible. All of these scenarios could very quickly lead to disastrous escalation.

In the short term, Trump in this situation needs either to pull out troops from Iraq or massively to reinforce them. The UK does not have the latter option, having neither men nor money, and should remove its 1400 troops now. Whether the “triumph” of killing Suleimani gives Trump enough political cover for an early pullout – the wise move – I am unsure. 2020 is going to be a very dangerous year indeed.

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/01/the-usa-doubles-down-on-its-saudi-allegiance/

47 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The leader of Iran's Quds mercenaries, aka Bad Guy #1 flies into Baghdad and meets with the Iraqi leader of a pro-Iranian militia, aka Bad Guy #2 that just had its ass handed to them by a US Air Force and have subsequently tried to storm and destroy the US embassy in Baghdad, aka Bad Guys #3 to around #300.

Hold on... you mean they really were all just going to toast marshmallows at the US embassy BBQ?

He was in charge of coordinating Iran’s operations across the region. Absolutely no evidence he was planning a specific attack on USA.

Produce link to credible site giving credence to trumps claim he was. 

maga

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

My net liquid worth has doubled in a month, I am lovin' it.

Heard it all before, back in 2000. One day people were bragging about making hundreds of thousands of dollars on Yahoo message boards. The next, the gap down left them owing tens of thousands on their margin accounts with their brokers. Saw the day it happened. People couldn't sell. Gap downs blew past their stops and they were panic selling at market. Took five to six hours to get filled, while everything dropped like a lead balloon. But I'm sure it's different this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

He was in charge of coordinating Iran’s operations across the region. Absolutely no evidence he was planning a specific attack on USA.

Soooo... what sort of regional "operations" was he "in charge of coordinating"?

Seeking investment opportunities in Iran's moribund agri-business?

Promoting Iran's northern Caspian Sea coast as a summer vacation destination?

Organizing agreements with regional museums for reciprocal displays of each nation's antiquities?

Exploring mutual cooperation in renewables in a post fossil fuel economy?

Toasting marshmallows at a burning US Embassy?

Please try and be specific.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Soooo... what sort of regional "operations" was he "in charge of coordinating"?

Seeking investment opportunities in Iran's moribund agri-business?

Promoting Iran's northern Caspian Sea coast as a summer vacation destination?

Organizing agreements with regional museums for reciprocal displays of each nation's antiquities?

Exploring mutual cooperation in renewables in a post fossil fuel economy?

Toasting marshmallows at a burning US Embassy?

Please try and be specific.

All of them, specifically at the time Isis in Syria and Iraq-where it is re-emerging...

I have no idea why he was where he was, but unless it can be proven he was there to plan an attack on USA interests, I see no reason to believe trumps blustering claims he was. 

Now, no more deflection-link to a credible site with evidence that he was there to plan an attack on USA. 

Edited by Bluespunk

On 1/3/2020 at 11:17 AM, BobBKK said:

That is true but these people just do not understand weakness and are brainwashed to hate USA etc.  strong defence is the only solution not sending Billions in dollars in a cargo plane. Keep them caged up in Iran/Iraq where they can live their lives doing what they will. Attacking the US embassy must have a response or it goes to the next Benghazi level. Shut it down and isolate them.

quote "strong defence is the only solution not sending Billions in dollars in a cargo plane."

The billions of dollars in question actually belonged to Iran in the first place. It was paid for the supply of military hardware the the US backed Shah government that the US refused to supply when the Shah was overthrown. The US government had refused to return the funds to Iran.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi

Mohammad Reza came to power during World War II after an Anglo-Soviet invasion forced the abdication of his father, Reza Shah Pahlavi. During Mohammad Reza's reign, the British owned oil industry was briefly nationalised, under Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh, until a UK and US -backed coup d'état deposed Mosaddegh and brought back foreign oil firms under the Consortium Agreement of 1954.[7] 

Several other factors contributed to strong opposition to the Shah amongst certain groups within Iran, the most significant of which were US and UK support for his regime, and clashes with leftists and Islamists. By 1979, political unrest had transformed into a revolution. The Shah's refusal to order his troops to fire on protesters forced him with no other choice but to leave Iran on 17 January, 1979. 

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Not sure what history they teach in Bristol schools but Soleimani predates Isil, Isis, داعش‎ or whatever the last iteration of non-peaceful, terrorist Islam was labeled.

Islam is the religion of peace. Islamic fundamentalists aren't. Soleimani and the Quds force he commanded were Islamic fundamentalists. Trained terrorists in nice uniforms.

Join your own dots.

If Islam was a religion of peace surely the extremists would be extremely peaceful? The fundamentalists as you describe them are merely carrying out the commands in the Quran, Islam was never a religion of peace from the time Mohammad attacked the Meccans in violation of the truce he agreed to.

12 minutes ago, chokrai said:

Iran and Iraq fought for 8 years ending up in a draw. The US took about a month to beat Iraq. The Yanks will put them in a world of hurt without stepping foot inside the country.

And then they put many feet in and the rest is history. DT won't make the same mistake surely ?

Edited by URMySunshine

19 minutes ago, chokrai said:

Iran and Iraq fought for 8 years ending up in a draw. The US took about a month to beat Iraq. The Yanks will put them in a world of hurt without stepping foot inside the country.

US won the war, but not the war political objectives. Iran is backed by Russia and China, whole different ballgame, Plus I seriously doubt US would commit to another ground war in M.E.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, chokrai said:

Who was backing Iraq and who was backing Iran in that war and who was on the offensive for most of it?

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

If Islam was a religion of peace surely the extremists would be extremely peaceful? The fundamentalists as you describe them are merely carrying out the commands in the Quran, Islam was never a religion of peace from the time Mohammad attacked the Meccans in violation of the truce he agreed to.

Who is making all the guns and military weaponry in the world, a muslim nation? 

Heres the top 50 ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companies_by_arms_sales No Muslim countries in sight.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Wy are you terrified? You are safe in Thailand. You aren't going over there to fight either. As far as the armed forces go the overwhelming majority of them are patriots that love Trump.

Are you capable of viewing world events in anything other than a self-absorbed "how does this affect me" view?  Do you think a war in the Mid-East is ok, regardless of the body count, if you and yours are safe and far away?

As a retired officer from a family that knows something about the anguish of sending loved ones off to war, I can assure you that the armed forces and their families have a much better informed view of this situation than you.

Before you contest this, please tell all of us what you know of service and sending family off to war.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Can not trust Trump or Americans. They just do what suits them. Allies with Saudi Arabia says everything. 

Quite the contrary.  You can trust them to keep extremely sensitive operational information secret until the operation is successful. Do you really think such a sensitive time critical operation would be transmitted far and wide? The Russians would know immediately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

There wouldn't be a real war. The USA would simply sink the Iranian navy in less then an afternoon. After that the oil pipelines would be destroyed. The nuclear bunker is perhaps too far underground but 24 hour surveillance would mean nobody goes in or out. Unless they want a missile down their throat.

We don't need to occupy Iran.

You really know nothing about war.  You also haven't been paying attention these last 20 years.  Winning the war is the easy part (though in the case of Iran even that won't be easy).  Winning the peace is the hard part, the part we still haven't managed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

One could easily conclude you are Russian troll trying to goad the US into a stupid war.

Edited by heybruce
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1