Taking Own Vehicle Into Cambodia Can Or Cant?

ozzydom

I've been wondering the same thing and will keep an eye on your thread in case someone knows for sure/ been there/done it. Also interested in driving into Lao and maybe in to Vietnam. just heard that the Japaneese just finished two routes over the mountains and it is possible to drive to the VN coast on decent roads.

I am looking to do a longer trip (maybe long term) into Cambodia,Does anybody have the ins and outs of taking your own vehicle in for a couple of months.?

3 Guys i know did this one two from Surin and one who lives in Prasat, they took a car across the border into Cambodia and drove to Phnon Phen, the border they crossed from Thailand was Kap Choeng, close to Surin, one of them told me the trip is not for the faint hearted, you do need a 4x4 or trail bike as some of the roads are very bad, i am not sure how they did this, but i know they used an old car with no air con, i also know if a car is not in your name it cannot be done also if there is any finance outstanding it can not be done.

There may of been a backhander involved in this case ?,

I am not sure what paperwork is involved legally, i would also like to know.

I'm considering a road trip across Cambodia too - possibly into Vietnam but what puts me off is the 'kemoy factor'.

Unless of course we bring a few firearms with us.

Would like to hear if anyone has attempted such a trip recently?

Cheers,

BM

I am looking to do a longer trip (maybe long term) into Cambodia,Does anybody have the ins and outs of taking your own vehicle in for a couple of months.?

I was directed to a Cambodian forum www.talesofasia.com ,it is run by a Gordon Sharpless who runs a guesthouse in Siem Reap,it gives all the answers,a great site.

I was directed to a Cambodian forum www.talesofasia.com ,it is run by a Gordon Sharpless who runs a guesthouse in Siem Reap,it gives all the answers,a great site.

That Forum has closed down.

That Forum has closed down.

But the website with a wealth of info is still there.

I've posted similar questions several times and have never had a first hand reply apart from one guy who goes across the border to the neighbouring province from Trat.

In thery it is possible but the problem starts when you want to go into the next province.

as for insurance you are meant to buy some Cambodian stuff at the border.

You probably need a Thai car passport which costs only a few baht from Dept Transport??

A coule of people did say they were about to do it in wearlier posts but I've never seen an update.

I wouldn't wait with baited breath to here from someone who has actually done it first-hand though. If you do please let us know how you get on.

Oh and then you'll get all the moaning-minis who have grave concern for the state of your vehicle after it has bounced along the Cambodian highways.......

• 1 month later...

Having just returned from another trip to Cambodia, I can confirm that it is possible as opposed to feasible to take your own vehicle into Cambodia.

As long as your car is registered and you can provide ownership papers you can get a car visa for 30 days (the same period as your initial tourist or business visa).

The car must exit Cambodia within the visa period or overstay charges apply.

Feasability is another matter, You must have a Cambodian drivers license to drive there ,no test is required on production of a current license from another country, but from application to receipt of license can be 30 days (cost $30 US )although it is possible to drive on the receipt,which may or may not be acceptable if you are pulled over by the boys in fawn.

The major highway between Sihanoukville and PP and PP to Sisaphon is quite good but the section from Sisophon to Poipet (46 KM ) is worse than any riverbed Ive driven in Oz, the 46 km took 4.5 hours.

The road from Had Kek to Sihanoukville is a mixture of tarmac and hardpack varying from OK to bad over the mountain areas where roadworks (the Cambodian version of ) are in progress.

Immigration officials are a joy to deal with as opposed to their Thai counterparts (the Cambodians still know how to give service with a smile).

Having just returned from another trip to Cambodia, I can confirm that it is possible as opposed to feasible to take your own vehicle into Cambodia.

As long as your car is registered and you can provide ownership papers you can get a car visa for 30 days (the same period as your initial tourist or business visa).

Feasability is another matter, You must have a Cambodian drivers license to drive there ,no test is required on production of a current license from another country, but from application to receipt of license can be 30 days (cost $30 US )although it is possible to drive on the receipt,which may or may not be acceptable if you are pulled over by the boys in fawn.

The major highway between Sihanoukville and PP and PP to Sisaphon is quite good but the section from Sisophon to Poipet (46 KM ) is worse than any riverbed Ive driven in Oz, the 46 km took 4.5 hours.

The road from Had Kek to Sihanoukville is a mixture of tarmac and hardpack varying from OK to bad over the mountain areas where roadworks (the Cambodian version of ) are in progress.

Immigration officials are a joy to deal with as opposed to their Thai counterparts (the Cambodians still know how to give service with a smile).

Ozzydom, thanks for the run down.

Just to be clear, apart from the blue ownership book of the car, there is absolutely no extra documentation needed apart from your personal passport and visa?

The reason I ask is that to drive from Thailand to Laos, you have to pick up the purple coloured car passport from the department of land transport.

To Drive to Malaysia and Singapore, a letter issued by the DLT romanising your number plate is needed (but no car passport).

So for Cambo...nothing is needed? Not even a backhander?

Also, would an international drivers license suffice there, or does it have to be a cambo license all the way?

Just to be clear, apart from the blue ownership book of the car, there is absolutely no extra documentation needed apart from your personal passport and visa?

The reason I ask is that to drive from Thailand to Laos, you have to pick up the purple coloured car passport from the department of land transport.

To Drive to Malaysia and Singapore, a letter issued by the DLT romanising your number plate is needed (but no car passport).

Also, would an international drivers license suffice there, or does it have to be a cambo license all the way?

Samran, according to the official I spoke to at Had Lek,they do the appropriate paperwork there, also met a guesthouse proprieter (farang) who goes in and out every month (commutes)with his Thai registered car.He also has a business in Patteya.

Evidentally they dont recognise International licenses, but can use one to apply for a Cambo one.

You cannot even hire a motor bike in Sihanoukville,so to get around that rule,some businesses furnish you with a dummy sales receipt to give the impression you have bought the bike,(so long as you have a Cambo license).

Confiscation of vehicles seems to be favoured in lieu of tea money fines , then it costs thousands of baht to reclaim the vehicle.

Police are very thin on the ground and the couple I met seem extremely friendly, as indeed are Cambodians generally.

Samran, according to the official I spoke to at Had Lek,they do the appropriate paperwork there, also met a guesthouse proprieter (farang) who goes in and out every month (commutes)with his Thai registered car.He also has a business in Patteya.

Evidentally they dont recognise International licenses, but can use one to apply for a Cambo one.

You cannot even hire a motor bike in Sihanoukville,so to get around that rule,some businesses furnish you with a dummy sales receipt to give the impression you have bought the bike,(so long as you have a Cambo license).

Confiscation of vehicles seems to be favoured in lieu of tea money fines , then it costs thousands of baht to reclaim the vehicle.

Police are very thin on the ground and the couple I met seem extremely friendly, as indeed are Cambodians generally.

Don't recognize the International Driving Permit??  They're supposed to, see attached.

However, even here in Thailand I've only found one policeman who knows what it is, he's sometimes at the last toll booth, the baht 10 one, on the Tollway after Don Muang.

For a number of years now I've been carrying an expired IDP on the visor of my car.  If stopped, hand that out, point out politely where it says "Thailand," forget out to speak or understand much Thai, and keep smiling and nodding.  After the cop goes through his litany of why I have to get a ticket, go to the police station to pay baht 500-1,000, then gets to the baht 200 "instant fine," I just keep smiling.  After a bit of him seeing all the potentially paying drivers winging past and not being stopped by him, he eventually lets me go, for free.  Probably thinking, too, what a dumb as* farang that was, not understanding the local rules!!

The guy at the end of the Tollway is the only one who's ever noticed that the IDP I handed out was expired, so I dip into my handy bag, pull out the current one, and apologize for my error.

FYI, I also have a 5-year Thai driving permit, that's for ID purposes only, at banks, etc.

Mac

post-32650-1179881033_thumb.jpg

post-32650-1179881047_thumb.jpg

Don't recognize the International Driving Permit??  They're supposed to, see attached.

However, even here in Thailand I've only found one policeman who knows what it is, he's sometimes at the last toll booth, the baht 10 one, on the Tollway after Don Muang.

For a number of years now I've been carrying an expired IDP on the visor of my car.  If stopped, hand that out, point out politely where it says "Thailand," forget out to speak or understand much Thai, and keep smiling and nodding.  After the cop goes through his litany of why I have to get a ticket, go to the police station to pay baht 500-1,000, then gets to the baht 200 "instant fine," I just keep smiling.  After a bit of him seeing all the potentially paying drivers winging past and not being stopped by him, he eventually lets me go, for free.  Probably thinking, too, what a dumb as* farang that was, not understanding the local rules!!

The guy at the end of the Tollway is the only one who's ever noticed that the IDP I handed out was expired, so I dip into my handy bag, pull out the current one, and apologize for my error.

FYI, I also have a 5-year Thai driving permit, that's for ID purposes only, at banks, etc.

Mac

The cover of an Agatha Christie novel makes as much sense as an International License to a non English speaking Cambodian policeman.

Mac

The cover of an Agatha Christie novel makes as much sense as an International License to a non English speaking Cambodian policeman.

Hey, that's the beauty of using the IDP, the Thai cops in general don't have any to much English either, so they give up after a while and stop someone else for the bribe.  Perhaps they're just not as persistant as the Khmer cops.

Mac

if no one objects, I'm going to move this to the motoring forum. This question has been raised a dozen times there, so there will be keen readers there who may not visit the travel forum.

Hope this is OK with you OZZy. - cheers samran.

Hi,

and thanks for the information. Can you tell me how long it took you from sisophon too PP as I understand you took the southern"highway" to battambang and not to siem reap. Is the highway paved and in good condition?

I did poipet siem rieap once about 2 years ago and the street -or how you wanna call it- was a real pain in the axx starting from poipet till siem reap. However the street from Siem reap was very good.

Do you think it's possible to make poipet to sisophon in July during the raining season?

Thanks

A rider form the gtriders recent experience, it worked that day at that crossing.

I crossed over into Cambodia yesterday at Chong Sangam, south of Phu Sing to do a visa run, they let me take the bike in without asking if it was mine or wanting to see any papers, is it always this easy getting into Cambodia at all entry points? I rode about 15km until I reached the first town, bought some Black Panther beer then came back, it felt strange riding on the right hand side of the road as this was the first time I have ever had to do this and I often found myself back on the left until something coming the other way made me realise I was in the wrong. Thankfully traffic was very light and it was quite an enjoyable experience