PM Prayut to head command centre to tackle drought

webfact

2 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

With the General in charge, it is a good time to buy and invest in bottled water. Thailand will need it.

Other Ideas:

1) All water craft on any river must only go in reverse

2) Dump all left over water from your drinking bottles back into rivers, only

3) When it rains do not impede the follow of water to rivers.

4) Add your own silly idea for consideration by the General.

5) Urinate directly into the river or pond. Oh wait, many already do. Never mind.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Wow... I never knew Prayuth had so many talents...

Mirror mirror on the wall

Who's the smartest of them all.

The mirror laughed and gave a grunt

"It sure ain't you

You stupid ......."

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Worldplus said:

Roll on Songkran..  That of course wont be cancelled or cut short to save water...  

Thai,s would not even think about that...

How many more times: why are you complaining about 4 days of water missusage, when you obviously don't care about the other 361?

Songkhran is NOT the problem, it is merely a drop (sic!) in the ocean!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

"Tasked with water forecasting"..... They just stated they are dealing with a severe upcoming drought. Isn't that a good enough forecast? 

good forecasting makes sense,
we cannot have broadcasting of rain forecasts to address smoke issues that are off, can't we ?

Other than solving the problem of who owns the water, and then who possesses it,
where to store the necessary quantity with a long enough life to be of use during droughts, 

the new policy could contain something like this:

Asia-Pacific Development Journal Vol. 17, No. 1, June 2010   page 123

A CONTRIBUTION TO THE THEORY OF DEVELOPMENT

Prasopchoke Mongsawad*

The King of Thailand’s philosophy of sufficiency economy highlights a balanced way of living. Three principles—moderation, reasonableness, and self-immunity—along with the conditions of morality and knowledge can be applied to any level of the society—from an individual to a country. This article proposes that the philosophy of sufficiency economy conveys new theory in addressing current development challenges, which are issues of institutions, human capital, environmental sustainability and the role of government. The philosophy of sufficiency economy, as a new paradigm of development, aims at improving human well-being as a development goal.

Page 126:

The role of government has shifted from minimal to optimal.3 Government becomes more active when it takes on the important task of improving the institutional setup by strengthening or creating institutions. With the right institutions, economic incentives will be created and the market will function properly. Nevertheless, the government must pay attention, not only to economic matters, but also to social development issues, including politics. Still, the problem of good governance remains an agenda of development theory.

Others focus not on aggregate economic growth but on the broader aspect of development. At the 2006 Copenhagen Consensus Conference, well-known economists, United Nations ambassadors and senior diplomats from 24 countries (accounting for 54 per cent of the world’s population), prioritized current major world challenges4 that needed immediate attention. Those ranking at the top were: communicable diseases; sanitation and clean water; malnutrition and hunger; and education. All of them target improvement of people’s quality of life.

Page 137:
Aiming to make a profit, farmers normally plant mono-crops or cash crops, which are totally dependent on market prices, thereby increasing the farmers’ vulnerability to external price shocks. Also, the practice usually harms the environment, as farmers tend to overuse chemical substances to increase production. This type of practice is unsustainable over the long run. To address this problem, the King of Thailand suggested that farmers employ the New Theory of Agriculture, an application of PSE.

The New Theory of Agriculture recommends that farmers follow three-stage procedures. In the first stage, farmers should divide the land into four parts as follows:

1. (1)  Growing rice (30 per cent);

2. (2)  Growing vegetable and fruits (30 per cent);

3. (3)  Water reservoir (30 per cent);

4. (4)  Residential and other uses (10 per cent), so that they can have food sufficiency or food security.

After farmers have food security, they can expand their production processes and move to commercial activities in the second stage. Finally, in the third stage, they may further expand their production processes and have cooperation in the community in the form of cooperative stores or a rice mill factory (Wibulswasdi and others, 2010, p. 23).

From: https://www.unescap.org/sites/default/files/apdj-17-1-5-Mongsawad.pdf
"Bold" highlights added by OP

As demonstrated in the applied Wisdom behind the Sufficiency Economy Philosophy,
it takes more than a seasonal committee to address the growing uncertainty of water stability.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The command centre will be divided into working groups, tasked with water management, water forecasting, early warning systems and public relations. Mrs. Narumon said that the Prime Minister is fully aware of the severity of the upcoming drought problem and has instructed all agencies to prepare to cope with the problem.

It's probably been said already but, A bit chuffin late for all that you morons, we all saw it happening months ago. Shakes head in disbelief. ???? 

• Like 1

Better double the allocated budget! As it turns out the current amulet capacity only allows for starting and stopping rain on demand, but to hit those hard to reach places, they'd need more solid gold ones to control the angle too. And of course should do a few survey trips to faraway lands to get some important data for determining that angle (friends and family included; never a bad idea to have some extra opinions when the situation is this dire and need to save the people). Then again.. Triple the budget; one has to ward off the pesky Illuminati too.

download.jpeg.1be076e5db0f36499952461e501b7bd2.jpeg

Still dreaming that some beautiful day this bunch of cretins will get wiped from existence.

• Like 1

Well, I wasn't especially worried before. But now that I hear the old crooner himself is going to take personal charge, I'm pretty much sweating bullets!!!  

And that's probably a good thing, because that sweat may well end up being the only water I'll have to drink before these guys are done running their show....

Ohh...here's one idea they haven't mentioned: How about declaring a national water emergency and mandating that all water supplies normally given to the Thai "beer" manufacturers be diverted/kept for drinking water supplies???

Oooppsss... Can't do that...  A former BKK police chief is/was on paid retainer for one of the major brewing companies, along with who knows who all else. And this is Thailand, of course, so beer is always going to take the top priority over water....  :drunk:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, I wasn't especially worried before. But now that I hear the old crooner himself is going to take personal charge, I'm pretty much sweating bullets!!!  

And that's probably a good thing, because that sweat may well end up being the only water I'll have to drink before these guys are done running their show....

Ohh...here's one idea they haven't mentioned: How about declaring a national water emergency and mandating that all water supplies normally given to the Thai "beer" manufacturers be diverted/kept for drinking water supplies???

Oooppsss... Can't do that... The national police chief is/was on paid retainer for one of the major brewing companies, along with who knows who all else. And this is Thailand, of course, so beer is always going to take the top priority over water....  :drunk:

Please don't give them ideas john, I enjoy my few cold ones in the evening, I would hate to lose that pleasure ???? 

16 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Please don't give them ideas john, I enjoy my few cold ones in the evening, I would hate to lose that pleasure ???? 

I was only talking about Thai "beers". Imports obviously wouldn't be impacted by that, since there's no Thai water savings potential from foreign brewers.  But I do understand your angst.... :biggrin:

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Oooppsss... Can't do that...  A former BKK police chief is/was on paid retainer for one of the major brewing companies, along with who knows who all else. And this is Thailand, of course, so beer is always going to take the top priority over water....  :drunk:

Correction... looks like the guy may well still be the current BKK metropolitan police chief.

I fear we will see a version of Australia's wildfires here. We were out on the weekend down Ch-Am way and it is scorched.. Lots of dry brush etc. Drastic action to stop the  land burnings must be taken now and the  government needs to purchase an enhanced  fire suppression capability.

12 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Working groups to discuss the plans they should have already had in place. Sounds like a waste of time.

Thailand is now paying the price for many years of neglect and poor Management of its Water resources.

So what is the Big Guy gonna do ? order 1000 people to dance around a pile of Chicken Bones or something, whilst singing one of the ditties penned by his own hand.

What a load of tosh

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Thailand is now paying the price for many years of neglect and poor Management of its Water resources.

So what is the Big Guy gonna do ? order 1000 people to dance around a pile of Chicken Bones or something, whilst singing one of the ditties penned by his own hand.

What a load of tosh

Oy ye of little faith :signthaivisa:

• Haha 1

There's self-confidence for you. I think I'd rather have my left nut connected up to a car battery.

I seriously dowt there were many people queuing up for this job. The man must be lapsing into dementia. The men in white suits will be along directly...

Talk about lose/lose.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

What a load of tosh

Some might say it was his dry deadpan wit that probably caused the problem in the first place.

Mind you, 'deadpan' - that could be being hit by a pot, but we won't go there in Thai.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

I would hazard a guess that he is being 'forced' to do something like this to try and help his dwindling popularity. 

Getting a mauling isn't likely to help his popularity now the wheel has started to turn. And a mauling is what he's going to get. I doubt his front paws will be able to scoop up very much swill when it's done - well, maybe for Apirat, the drongo's drongo.

Yes, it's all downhill from here, the major work is finished. Time to sit back and enjoy the show.

Yippee-ay-o.

• Like 1