Battery on Yamaha Aero 155

bkk6060

I am starting to hate this bike.

It has the keyless electronic start mechanism.

If I let it sit for a week, the battery is dead.  This can happen in the "off" or locked position.

It has happened 6 times now.

Any suggestions?  Is there possibly a more powerful battery I can buy?

It is a PIA to push it to get it changed or recharged whenever I get back from a trip.

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It has happened 6 times now.

Any suggestions?  Is there possibly a more powerful battery I can buy?

Could be the present battery age, if not you may have an electrical leak fault draining the battery. 

If it's a thing that happen with them scoots get a trickle charger set up sorted.

17 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Could be the present battery age, if not you may have an electrical leak fault draining the battery. 

If it's a thing that happen with them scoots get a trickle charger set up sorted.

Thanks.

But over the incidents I have purchased 4 new batteries at 680 b each.  The other times I charged them which took half a day.

So, either something is slowly sucking the juice or the batteries just are not holding their charge.

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Thanks.

But over the incidents I have purchased 4 new batteries at 680 b each.  The other times I charged them which took half a day.

So, either something is slowly sucking the juice or the batteries just are not holding their charge.

If you can't check voltage leaks yourself get it checked to see if there is a fault which sounds like it to me.

Some aftermarket electronic stuff can drain batteries quickly e.g. alarms.

Get hold of Yuasa battery which find long lasting if it don't you definitely have a fault.

Three things:

1. Lithium m/c batteries are available.   or

b.  Wire in 30 cm jumper leads to storage compartment.

Keep one of those 4 new batteries charged as a jumper.   but

4.  Prolly just need a screwdriver to disconnect tho.

Farang think too mut.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I had further thoughts on this whilst out riding (on my Aerox) today. O/P, please let me know how long you have had your motorcycle and how old was it when you first had this battery problem?

I'm also curious to know whether you fitted the same type of battery as is originally fitted by Yamaha when new. 

You have a problem, short somewhere! may well be difficult to locate, though not impossible.

Either you can fix the problem, keep buying batteries or you could plug in a trickle charger every time you leave it.

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Thanks for the responses.

I am stupid have no tools and have no idea how to disconnect the battery.

Guess I need to figure that out.

I do agree it is a great bike just this PIA issue keeps happening.

How long had you owned the motorcycle when you first had this problem and who replaced the battery for you?

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

How long had you owned the motorcycle when you first had this problem and who replaced the battery for you?

2 years.

The batteries were new I saw the box, battery, and receipts.  A guy with a small shop near me replaced them. All worked fine for awhile then the issues occurred after the bike sat.

Did not want to get into it more but the gf in khon kaen has the same bike and has had it die out twice.

Maybe just bad luck.

Like I mentioned I think it has something to do with the electronic starter.  Who knows.

Maybe a keyed system would not have the issues.

If started every few days though, never a problem.

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

2 years.

The batteries were new I saw the box, battery, and receipts.  A guy with a small shop near me replaced them. All worked fine for awhile then the issues occurred after the bike sat.

Did not want to get into it more but the gf in khon kaen has the same bike and has had it die out twice.

Maybe just bad luck.

Like I mentioned I think it has something to do with the electronic starter.  Who knows.

Maybe a keyed system would not have the issues.

If started every few days though, never a problem.

Thanks for your answer. Interesting to note that your GF has had the same problem. So, what you need to check is whether your local Somchai has fitted the correct type. These machines have sophisticated electronics and having the correct battery is very important.

So, open up the seat and find a black panel just forward of the storage bin. Remove the lid (2 cross point screws) and check the battery type. It should be a Yuasa YTZ7V. If it isn't that could be the cause of your problem. (See photo)

If it's the wrong type I strongly suggest you replace it with the correct type. If you can't get one from your local guy, they're available from Lazada.

Good luck and please let me know how it goes.

Aerox Battery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/10/2020 at 12:45 PM, Moonlover said:

These machines have sophisticated electronics and having the correct battery is very important.

Any  12V battery with 6.3 Amp Hour capacity or higher that fits in the hole should work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:
On 1/10/2020 at 12:45 PM, Moonlover said:

These machines have sophisticated electronics and having the correct battery is very important.

1 hour ago, johng said:

Any  12V battery with 6.3 Amp Hour capacity or higher that fits in the hole should work.

You're probably right, but I don't have a list of compatible batteries available, so I'd rather suggest the one that is known to work. The original type as fitted by Yamaha. The O/P has fitted 4 inferior batteries so far. Time to 'stop the rot' and start enjoying his Aerox again.

this might not be relevant but..

back when I had my Aerox, I plugged in a USB charger in the electric port the left side (I don't know the correct name) and within a few days my battery was dead. (like proper dead)

I am not 100% sure but it might have been the adapter draining battery power somehow

anyways I replaced it with a battery that was a little bit higher (but same size) from some local mechanic shop (was like 650 baht or something) and removed the USB charger thing and never had issues after.

wish I could tell you the battery model but I sold it a few months back for lack of usage (nothing wrong with bike)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, new Aerox owner here. If your bike is sitting for a week at a time try this quick disconnect. Can find on Lazada. I purposely got the R version without keyless or ABS to avoid all the extra stuff that could go wrong (and cheaper). Good luck

98E10996-C54B-4010-A44F-B02BFCF376E8.jpeg

• Like 2

I've just got an Aerox (which i think is great BTW). I note in the owners manual page 5-1 regarding the stop start system it says "When parking the vehicle or leaving it unattended, be sure to turn the main (stop start) switch off. If the Stop and Start System is left turned on, the battery could become discharged".  Does everyone turn off this switch when they park. Easy to forget to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

I've just got an Aerox (which i think is great BTW). I note in the owners manual page 5-1 regarding the stop start system it says "When parking the vehicle or leaving it unattended, be sure to turn the main (stop start) switch off. If the Stop and Start System is left turned on, the battery could become discharged".  Does everyone turn off this switch when they park. Easy to forget to do.

The manual actually says 'be sure to turn the main switch off'. The bracketed 'stop start' is your own addition.

On that same page fig 1 clearly shows the main switch, fig 2 clearly shows the stop/start system switch. The difference is obvious. I think you're misinterpreting what you're reading. 

At the practical level, I've had my Aerox for 4 months and it has never occurred to me to switch off the stop/start when parked up. Same is true of my Honda Click which I've had for 5 years.

Yes, the Aerox is a great bike. Have lots of fun. ????

21 hours ago, globerunner4 said:

Hi, new Aerox owner here. If your bike is sitting for a week at a time try this quick disconnect. Can find on Lazada. I purposely got the R version without keyless or ABS to avoid all the extra stuff that could go wrong (and cheaper). Good luck

98E10996-C54B-4010-A44F-B02BFCF376E8.jpeg

This item is not suitable for the Aerox. The O/P's problem was the wrong size battery. I would hope that by now he has fixed it, although I never heard anything more from him.

49 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The manual actually says 'be sure to turn the main switch off'. The bracketed 'stop start' is your own addition.

On that same page fig 1 clearly shows the main switch, fig 2 clearly shows the stop/start system switch. The difference is obvious. I think you're misinterpreting what you're reading. 

At the practical level, I've had my Aerox for 4 months and it has never occurred to me to switch off the stop/start when parked up. Same is true of my Honda Click which I've had for 5 years.

Yes, the Aerox is a great bike. Have lots of fun. ????

Thanks ML yes i was confused by the wording in the manual. So there is only a danger of the battery discharging IF the stop/start button is left on AND the main switch is NOT turned off.

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Thanks ML yes i was confused by the wording in the manual. So there is only a danger of the battery discharging IF the stop/start button is left on AND the main switch is NOT turned off.

That's correct, the main switch will isolate everything when switched off and if you have the smart-key version it will nag you persistently if you forget to!

Enjoy your riding. 

wanted to add that on my particular model of 2018 ABS Aerox you could display the battery voltage instead of trip information

can't recall exactly how much it should be displaying cause I don't have the bike anymore but from Google it says something  between 13.7 to 14.7 volts

if it doesn't then probably something wrong with the Stator.

but I'm not a mechanic (and far from it), I just had to lookup most of this stuff after I left the USB charger in the bike for too long and my battery had to be replaced.

so someone else might correct me

Edited by kekalot