Road rage attempt by Somthai

RasiMike

After 11 years here I think it's probably safe for me to carry a handgun under the drivers seat in the pick-up....just in case some lunar tick breaks an axle.  But sadly it's the wife who ticks all the boxes and can get a gun......legally.  ???? 

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:33 PM, RasiMike said:

Young Somthai

Your case would be much stronger w/o the racial slurs... I have driven in Isaan which felt like putting my life on the line every minute... so, I can sympathize, though I also agree w/your wife and other posters that exacerbating the situation in any country is not so smart... as another poster said, just let him go.. that is what I do regularly and relax and enjoy my music... unfortunately, this won't be your last encounter like this... let it go. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2020 at 10:40 PM, CharlieH said:

Personally I think what you did put your family in more danger.

Why not simply pull over and let the idiot go, end of story.

What you did, in my opinion was dangerous and foolhardy. It could have ended very badly for all of you.

But hey, I wasnt there, and each to his own, but what you did is not something I would to do or recommend to others.

I entirely agree. RasiMike's actions were utterly deplorable, potentially putting his family at great risk.

On 1/6/2020 at 11:11 PM, RasiMike said:

The concerns raised by the responders to my post mirror my wife's concerns. But I will always have to look after my family she knows this and is well aware of what I will do if required. This particular guy was trying to be a bully...if he was intent on causing harm it would've escalated and I would responded as appropriate. IMHO Thailand is full of these types and often they're not anywhere as dangerous when confronted. 

You did nothing wrong and I offer that you were prudent. What the critics ignore is that sometimes these people have other goals in mind, like robbery or vehicle theft. Not an exaggeration but in the south it is not uncommon practice to cut a vehicle off or run it off the road and then plunder the occupants or steal the vehicle. All done under a minute. Whatever the motive, by keeping him behind you, you kept control of the situation. That's the  key: Never let the aggressor gain control.

• Like 1

IMHO flipping a Thai person off  is very ill-advised. That gesture may be universally recognized as a sign of anger and resentment, but because it resembles male genitalia, it can also have a weird sexual inference that translates poorly over cultural barriers. Is he saying, for example, he'd like to sodomize me, or stick his finger up my butt? You never know when someone might interpret it as an insult to their manhood or sexual orientation and go berserk.

The other problem is that if you all happen to end up down at the police station the other side will try and make it sound like the whole thing would never have happened if you hadn't made this gesture. They'll try and make it sound like they were racing to get to grandma's funeral, you refused to get out of their way, and when they finally had a chance to get around you, you rolled down your window, flipped them off, humiliating him in front of his wife and kids in the process, and you really left him with no choice other than to chase you down and bash your head in with a tire iron.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

I would go as far as to say that Thailand is not the right place to be for anyone of such immature temperament as exhibited by RasiMike in terms of both his actions during the driving incident, and by his subsequent post.

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2020 at 2:47 AM, DaRoadrunner said:

Agreed. Some of the Thais carry knives, iron bars and even guns. It does not take much to get one of them fired up either.

So I spend a lot of time avoiding these idiots on the road, but there is a limit to ones patience.

Plus IMHO unfortunately these guys and gals are not likely to leran anything by challenging them. Leave it alone, put more time and action into the safety of your own family.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 7:37 AM, RasiMike said:

I found myself in a situation where, a guy decided to drive his car at us, using it as a weapon. I really do believe that if required, one should be ok with standing up and defend their loved ones when put in that position. Losing my cool is not something I do regularly and I agree it may seem stupid to you, but sometimes, where my loved ones have been threatened, I have. Shake your head all you like, I'm not sure if you have a family but I hope if you do, you'd be willing to defend them should you find yourself in that position. ????

Totally agree with you on this one I don't see you did anything wrong and have experienced the same thing here on a regular basis and not being a nervous Nelly I don't put up with it either. You have the right to drive here the same as anyone else has and don't have to cower down to idiots here or in any country if you choose not too. Just my opinion as to my choice.

• Thanks 1

I have read the numerous posts I recognise and accept there are some valid critical statements. 

I also recognise that a number of western minds struggle with any form of aggressive behaviour - there is a common over estimation of the potential danger an angry Thai poses.

Agree or not some people can/will fight back and in my experience many bully types DO change their stance when confronted.

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

I would go as far as to say that Thailand is not the right place to be for anyone of such immature temperament as exhibited by RasiMike in terms of both his actions during the driving incident, and by his subsequent post.

Agree, crazy to post something that actually happened on TV. Just iressistable bait for the trolls and flamers.

17 hours ago, Why Me said:

Sigh, everyone's a stud on TV.

But FS ma man if you got into an altercation with another car and out came a couple of thugs with weapons intent on teaching farang a lesson I wager you would pee your pants faster than you could say yellow river.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

You lose your bet then, have been a bouncer and faced many people with weapons.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:47 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

Agreed. Some of the Thais carry knives, iron bars and even guns. It does not take much to get one of them fired up either.

So I spend a lot of time avoiding these idiots on the road, but there is a limit to ones patience.

I am getting fed up with morons always cutting me up, and coming out from side roads in front of me every time I ride my pedal bike or motorbike. Back in the UK when I was younger, if there were no witnesses, a sore face would suffice, but here in Thailand, I am older now, and would never get involved with any kind of road rage. If I can do it, then anyone can, I'm afraid that's the only way here.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 11:11 PM, RasiMike said:

The concerns raised by the responders to my post mirror my wife's concerns. But I will always have to look after my family she knows this and is well aware of what I will do if required. This particular guy was trying to be a bully...if he was intent on causing harm it would've escalated and I would responded as appropriate. IMHO Thailand is full of these types and often they're not anywhere as dangerous when confronted. 

If they have a gun or an iron bar you may soon think different, that is if you still manage to stay alive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

The level of driving aptitude in Thailand is very low. Trying to teach anybody a lesson by retaliating for their poor road etiquette or driving skill is downright foolish and dangerous. The best way to teach better driving skills and manners to others on the road is by setting a good example. BTW, the OP said that his wife was terrorized in the process of his giving an impromptu driving lesson to the other driver. Shouldn't the safety and comfort of one's passengers be priority number one for all drivers?

Edit: I'll admit I've done the same thing as the OP in the past. Tapping the brakes to send a signal to a tailgater might be a common tactic elsewhere, but in Thailand people aren't expecting you to do that so there's an increased risk of a serious accident here.

Back in the UK, I always gradually slowed down when Tailgated, it was my way of getting him to pass and out of my way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

They'll try and make it sound like they were racing to get to grandma's funeral, you refused to get out of their way, and when they finally had a chance to get around you, you rolled down your window, flipped them off, humiliating him in front of his wife and kids in the process, and you really left him with no choice other than to chase you down and bash your head in with a tire iron.

They sure  can t  tell the truth ever

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I usually ’touch’ my brakes, not to slow down but to illuminate the brake lights and hope that the driver behind backs off a little. 

I usually gently pull the hand brake to slow down semi rapidly without the warning of brake light.... amusing to watch them panic in the rear view mirror and swerve hard to avoid me.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:50 PM, RasiMike said:

I know what you are saying, I would have preferred to just do the usual avoidance driving technique usually employed but this person seriously endangered my family and wanted to use his car as a weapon. I avoid starting fights but this particular case had me thinking I was going to need to take the lead. For most of my experience on Thailand it has been obvious that many people here think they're bullies if given the opportunity. Most of the time I couldn't give a <removed>.  Comprising my family's safety is a very different situation.

You acted like a Thai. Enough said.

22 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

After 11 years here I think it's probably safe for me to carry a handgun under the drivers seat in the pick-up....just in case some lunar tick breaks an axle.  But sadly it's the wife who ticks all the boxes and can get a gun......legally.  ???? 

Both my wife and I do legally own firearms and shoot in our other country. Her favourite is our Sig P226.....Don't spend enough time in LOS to go through the process and BS to legally possess one.

6 pages - no one has agreed that what you did was appropriate. Should tell you something.

Want to keep your family safe - do not aggravate people you do not know. Many have a handgun, and are more than willing to use it.

No use standing in front of the Pearly Gates and saying to St. Peter - "But I was in the Right ! "

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

6 pages - no one has agreed that what you did was appropriate. Should tell you something.

Want to keep your family safe - do not aggravate people you do not know. Many have a handgun, and are more than willing to use it.

No use standing in front of the Pearly Gates and saying to St. Peter - "But I was in the Right ! "

The appropriate response comment I make, refers to the posters that suggest I could have been attacked with a weapon.

Fight or flight? Not in a position do one, best to be prepared for the other. 

6 pages of retired rednecks being racist and its still going? What are the mods doing?

Thais are no different than you. There's just as many retarded monkeys on the road with weapons back home, theres just as many crazy <deleted> that will drive like maniacs to scare you after you use the horn. The only difference is that escalation might not happen as often because there's police everywhere.

but yeah, to the racist saying thais this thais that.. Remember, you're an old fart that had to move around the world to marry a desperate non-educated woman to endure you.  Because lets face it, any non-desperate thai girl wouldnt end up with an old racist. Taking out your self-hatred on an entire race and also being a danger on the road is not the answer to your inner problems.

Edited by bearpolar
  • Haha 1