The Year of the Pig ends! Immigration police announce latest arrests for passport violations

webfact

The Year of the Pig ends! Immigration police announce latest arrests for passport violations

2pm1.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Thai media Naew Na once again trumpeted the success of the country's biometrics system in keeping the nation safe from undesirable foreigners. 

In a story about the latest triumphs of the capabilities of the 2 billion baht system and Region 2 immigration, responsible for Bangkok's main airport Suvarnabhumi, they said that this was the end of "The Year of the Pig". 

On hand to announce the latest news was chief Pol Lt-Gen Sompong "Big Oud" Chingduang and his deputy Pol Maj-Gen Surapong Chaijan. 

They were speaking at the same conference at immigration HQ in Suan Phlu, Bangkok, in which they praised their biometrics system and dismissed criticism from IB predecessor Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn. 

This part of the press conference ground down into the details of what the system could do and seven arrests were presented to the press. 

Four of the arrests were in the same case. Eva Air staff on December 19th alerted immigration after two Turks checked-in for a flight to London. They appeared to be a couple. 

Soon the biometrics system flagged up the fact that they were travelling on fake Turkish passports and were not a couple. 

It emerged they were known to two others who were soon arrested trying to board a THAI flight to London. They had all bought fake Turkish passports in Istanbul for around 20,000 baht. 

Naew Na did not explain how they had got into Thailand in the first place, notes Thaivisa. 

In the next case on Boxing Day an Iranian travelling with his family was stopped using a fake French passport trying to enter Thailand. He admitted paying $5,000 for it (around 150,000 baht) and was attempting to go to Canada.

2pm2.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Arrest number 6 was a person from the Dominican Republic on a fake passport from that country trying to enter Thailand for purposes of tourism. 

The final case featured a passenger who was approached by immigration officers in the departure hall. This passenger was found to be in possession of a fake Malaysian passport he said he had bought for $1,000 (30,000 baht). The passenger also had a genuine Sri Lankan passport in his possession. 

In all Region 2 of the immigration police responsible at Suvarnabhumi Airport had refused entry to 13,992 people over the course of the year. 

Eighty two cases involved fake passports, 786 were wanted on warrants and 60 were flagged up by biometrics. 

In the light of the big headlines about biometrics this relatively small number was not explained by Naew Na, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-10
  • Like 2

Keeping one undesirable out is good, turning back 13,992 is great, those people have a potential to do dishonest things, and for the cost and all its faults I have no doubt in my mind a saved local life would be in the statistics, if the system was not inplace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

In the light of the big headlines about biometrics this relatively small number was not explained by Naew Na, notes Thaivisa

the only  people  present as  these  "dumb  ass were  doing  our  job  promotions"

are the police and  naew na

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

Keeping one undesirable out is good, turning back 13,992 is great, those people have a potential to do dishonest things, and for the cost and all its faults I have no doubt in my mind a saved local life would be in the statistics, if the system was not inplace.

we have 13,992 rejected if they spent 5000 baht a day as we are told the Chinese do thats 69 million baht lost in just one day. They cry that no money is coming in, lol.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I think Thailand is the only country I've ever seen publishing immigration busts on a weekly or daily basis. They do love their pointing and grandstanding.

it is just their attempt at copying the concept - of Deterrence 

In Ozzie lingo - hanging a dead fox on a fence image.jpeg.87b9f59a2f9838cd43083ffff176b380.jpeg (is the translation) 

• Like 1

I wonder both of no runs the poster and vinyl board company is and where and how they are disposed of in these more environmentally aware times.

Biometrics in UK need no finger prints. Passport and facial recognition.

Used to be IRIS scan. Had to be registered.

In Paris, it was the passport and choose the prints of any 1 of the 10 fingers. Also had to register.

15 hours ago, legend49 said:

we have 13,992 rejected if they spent 5000 baht a day as we are told the Chinese do thats 69 million baht lost in just one day. They cry that no money is coming in, lol.

monetary gain is sometimes not worth the price people  have to pay

9 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Out of 26 million tourists, not many at all.

But if one of them is a bad dude, thats one too many.

Personally I support the efforts of nations to control their borders.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I think Thailand is the only country I've ever seen publishing immigration busts on a weekly or daily basis. They do love their pointing and grandstanding.

What we are all forgetting is that Immigration came under criticism from the Thai population - they were wondering what Immigration was doing if all these criminals and romance scammers were operating in Thailand. Hence Immigration are now showing how they are weeding out the criminals or stopping them entering. Also a certain investment has to be justified.

16 hours ago, legend49 said:

That is the yearly figure not daily - it is an average of about 38/day so the loss amounts to only 191,000 per day.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai media Naew Na once again trumpeted the success of the country's biometrics system in keeping the nation safe from undesirable foreigners. 

Continuously trying to justify why billions were spent on catching petty criminals so they could all get their little piggy snouts in the trough.

Meanwhile, in other news, alleged corruption in procurement of the biometric system seems to be taking a back stage... wonder why?

It's like absolutely everything here, mired in greed and corruption and devoid of ethics and morality.