AC Unit.

NoshowJones

I have to get a new AC for my bedroom as my 14 year old one has chucked it, it did not have an inverter. My local AC man (I live about 60 Ks from Home Pro and they will not travel to fit for me) has quoted me 5000 Bt for a new one as it can be fitted into the previous system. This local AC man is very reliable and honest. he has fitted three units for me and provided excellent back up.

This one does not have an inverter, Is that a big disadvantage, like maybe being a lot more expensive to run, than one with an inverter? I have two AC units with  inverters in another part of the house.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

quoted me 5000 Bt for a new one

5000 baht will not be a new one...or if it is  it will not be for the whole system...they normally charge 2000-3000 baht just for installation.

An inverter can save you some money in running costs. (electricity)

As johng said, 5,000 Baht gives you a cheap probably copy chinese second hand model. 

Inverter is not only about electricity cost but about running more quiet and efficient.  And nowadays,  I would certainly care more about quality filters.

Go for quality, it's for your health

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

5000 Bt for a new one as it can be fitted into the previous system.

"When something sounds too good to be true it usually is" springs to mind!

5k for an AC unit is cheap, how many BTU, what brand?

Inverter has advantageous, cheaper to run, more efficient, compressor runs quieter, if that is an issue, no biggie to me.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, johng said:

5000 baht will not be a new one...or if it is  it will not be for the whole system...they normally charge 2000-3000 baht just for installation.

An inverter can save you some money in running costs. (electricity)

It is not for the whole system, just for the thing the air comes out of.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

just for the thing the air comes out of

Ok that bit is the "evaporator unit"   it lives inside the house   5000 baht for a "new"  ( probably second hand ) evaporator fitting it and  re gassing  seems a reasonable cost to me.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Ok that bit is the "evaporator unit"   it lives inside the house   5000 baht for a "new"  ( probably second hand ) evaporator fitting it and  re gassing  seems a reasonable cost to me.

As far as I know it is a new one, but I leave the wife to take care of most things, she is very well educated and knows all the local people people who fixes things, and I have never been let down yet.

Go for it as the inside unit can not be inverter if the outside unit isn't (you would have to change entire unit to go inverter).  The new fan coil unit should be fine if matched to your compressor size - I had one replaced years ago by my AC man here in Bangkok and although local name was same as unit made for a brand name and worked fine.  Should not cost any more to run than old unit has cost in the past and probably a bit less if newer components.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Go for it as the inside unit can not be inverter if the outside unit isn't (you would have to change entire unit to go inverter).  The new fan coil unit should be fine if matched to your compressor size - I had one replaced years ago by my AC man here in Bangkok and although local name was same as unit made for a brand name and worked fine.  Should not cost any more to run than old unit has cost in the past and probably a bit less if newer components.  

That's interesting, the old unit was not an inverter, and the new one is getting fitted on Tuesday.

I was led to believe that an inverter AC was only more efficient financially if it is left on all the time, as in a shop or office. If it is only used for a few hours a day/ night, the older type is better. Don't know, but that's what I read somewhere. Google it!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stouricks said:

I was led to believe that an inverter AC was only more efficient financially if it is left on all the time, as in a shop or office. If it is only used for a few hours a day/ night, the older type is better. Don't know, but that's what I read somewhere. Google it!

If only using a few hours the payback will be much longer but inverter should save some operating cost for most people (as cost has come down to almost the same as non-inverter).  It will not make it free by any means however.  A real advantage of the inverter is the cooling is continuous so you will likely be able to set to a higher temp and still feel fine and you avoid the start/stop noise of compressor.   

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Your belief is incorrect. In most situations where the AC is cycling an inverter is more efficient. It is only when the AC is running flat out virtually none stop that a non inverter may be better.

An example is my workshop, if I want to try to condition the space I may need 120,000 BTU however I will probably put in a small 18,000 unit to blow cool air at one area. This is a case where an inverter will have no benefit as when on it will run flat out.

• Like 1

Another plus with an inverter unit is that they are "soft-start", there's no big surge of current when the compressor starts.

This means less flickering of your lights and (important for some) if you have a generator you will need a smaller one (or you can run a bigger aircon).

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 7:23 AM, Crossy said:

Another plus with an inverter unit is that they are "soft-start", there's no big surge of current when the compressor starts.

This means less flickering of your lights and (important for some) if you have a generator you will need a smaller one (or you can run a bigger aircon).

One disadvantage with inverter anything is that they are very expensive to repair and seem to more susceptible to crapy power like I have here.  Seems like it always the motherboard and the repair guys don't repair it they replace it and it's expensive.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wayned said:

One disadvantage with inverter anything is that they are very expensive to repair and seem to more susceptible to crapy power like I have here.  Seems like it always the motherboard and the repair guys don't repair it they replace it and it's expensive.

That certainly appeared to be the case 5+ years ago, but today's units not much to worry.  Daikin and LG even advertise protection for <deleted> power and even geckos.  Circuit boards are almost always easier to replace since a skilled technician and special equipment would be required to repair in most cases.

I have just had a new AC unit fitted to replace the old one, it is brand new, cost only 5000 Baht.

It's make is Turbo Cool, and has Green Industry at the far left hand side. Anyone ever heard of this

make and can tell me anything about it?

47 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have just had a new AC unit fitted to replace the old one, it is brand new, cost only 5000 Baht.

It's make is Turbo Cool, and has Green Industry at the far left hand side. Anyone ever heard of this

make and can tell me anything about it?

Popular with the outdoor unit collectors - Shenzhen pedigree. 
Not sure about spare part support.

Cheap way to replace a kaput indoor unit and extend the life of AC system if outdoor unit and compressor have some life left.

tcool.jpg.2778559c432aaff41c9d8cd0fe725c55.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 11:50 AM, CGW said:

"When something sounds too good to be true it usually is" springs to mind!

5k for an AC unit is cheap, how many BTU, what brand?

Inverter has advantageous, cheaper to run, more efficient, compressor runs quieter, if that is an issue, no biggie to me.

Turbo Cool.

On 1/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, johng said:

New one.