UK Pensions and related info

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Except in one crucial regard as far as we are concerned: Thai nationals are not permitted to countersign UK passport applications even if they come under one of the recognised professions.

The government link to life certificates states the person counter signing can hold any passport , nothing stopping a Thai signing.

https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad/report-a-change-in-your-circumstances#:~:text=You may get a 'life,passport from any specific country.

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

And equally allow us to return witnessed certificates by email as my occupational pension provider does, for instance.

One of my UK private pension providers used to accept the PoL certificates returned via email, but at the end of last year they changed the process. Now I have to go to a Western Union agent and show them my passport. In return they give me the equivalent of 10 GBP in baht for my trouble. Luckily my own local Krung Thai bank branch is a WU agent.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 4:21 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Agreed, would be difficult to find any sincere sympathy from anyone living in the U.K..

If it does not affect then they choose to ignore it but it could be in the future.
See we still await our meagre frozen State pension and normally wowwee end it a few days earlier but of course we read  everyday about everyone in the UK and 96 per cent get additonal payments for just about anything.
Anyone who received State Pension for December is due this week and don't hold your breath for too long?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jwest10 said:

If it does not affect then they choose to ignore it but it could be in the future.
See we still await our meagre frozen State pension and normally wowwee end it a few days earlier but of course we read  everyday about everyone in the UK and 96 per cent get additonal payments for just about anything.
Anyone who received State Pension for December is due this week and don't hold your breath for too long?

My state pension went to Wise UK on Friday and transferred to BKK Bank on Monday 18th December as normal.

3 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

How do you set this up with Wise ?

Is it the same bank details as when sending a transfer through them ?

I don't have one but from others I think that you need to create a GBP account within Wise.  After you do a test deposit and maybe verify your identity you will be given a new UK sort code and account number to allow payments like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, treetops said:

I don't have one but from others I think that you need to create a GBP account within Wise.  After you do a test deposit and maybe verify your identity you will be given a new UK sort code and account number to allow payments like this.

Yes I have a Wise account, have been transferring with them for a few years now.

So is it the same sort code etc for Wise that I use when sending funds from my UK bank ?

2 hours ago, fulhamster said:

How do you set this up with Wise ?

Is it the same bank details as when sending a transfer through them ?

IIRC when I set up the transfer with Wise about 5 years ago, Wise asked me when I wanted the funds transferred to.

My visa extension is far reasons of marriage and was based on funds transferred from the UK.

I had set up an account at my local branch of KBank in my sole name but the only way that I could get proof that the funds were sent from offshore was to contact the call centre of KBank and request proof of where the funds came from.

I would need 2 copies of every transaction for Immigration as 1 copy is for Kamphaeng Phet and 1 for the regional office in Chiang Mai. As I transfer 3 pensions per month it was a PITA, plus It did not show up in my bank passbook as an FTT transfer.

Bangkok Bank were different. I managed to convince them through using their call centre to open a sole account in my name (that sub branch did not know what to do). The next time I did an international  transfer through Wise I gave them the BBK details and since then I have used the BBK.

The funds show up in my statements and in the passbook automatically as an FTT.

The only drawbacks are that Immigration need 12 months of statements (twice) and that has to be referred to the BBK head office and takes 3 working days, plus for me BBK branch is in Kamphaeng Phet 65 km away so I arrange for a pick up at least a week before I need it and take 100 baht out before I update my passbook.

Also the bank has to put their stamp and the cashier has to sign each page of the statement, something that they did not do this year. 

2 hours ago, fulhamster said:

So is it the same sort code etc for Wise that I use when sending funds from my UK bank ?

2 hours ago, treetops said:

I've highlighted the bit that I think you're after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

been a while ,still alive virt every day i have hospital appointments',   However I still see comments as fraud etc on receiving unfrozen pension in Th.Im not going into endless debate From the horses mouth DWP,or rather various agencies that do check up,there is no retribution,nothing i thought i would become unstuck,thru a benefit I applied for on arrival,after receiving £500 winter fuel the year before,but was granted it with 3 month backpay,thank you

But was warned the benefit I received would be monitored,it comes to £102A WEEK,TAX FREE,shortly going up to £109 a week plus carers allowance 70£ taxable as I'm on new 0AP,plus public sector pension,so not going to starve        Ill put cancer treatment up bit later,but i know it cost the NHS a fortune,every day for 5 weeks,taxi pick up and drop off  at £100 a trip, plus plus,unbelievable

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I became of "pensionable age" a month ago. I applied for my state pension three months before that. I have heard nothing. According to the information on the application form I should have received my first pension payment four weeks after the date I became eligible.

Needless to say telephone calls went unanswered.

Concerned at the lack of communication I emailed them. The automated response told me that it could take up to 10 days to get a response. Today, 10 days almost to the minute ( they must think that I came up the Severn on the last banana boat) I received a reply, it simply told me that they had received my claim ( there was a worrying 10 days difference between when the recorded delivery text from Thailand Post told me it was delivered and when they said it was received). The claim was in process, and they would write to me whe it was finalised. They could give me no further details, as email was insecure etc etc!

Of course it takes what, up to two months for "surface mail" to get from the UK to here.

Has anyone else experienced these sort of delays in dealing with the International Pensions Office?

The email is insecure bit is a joke. My last Army Pension Statement at the beginning of this financial year had been opened at the Bangkok International Mail Office, and then amount received monthly, and the annual total, written in Thai figures on the back!

I claimed my state pension just over two years ago.  I must be one of the lucky ones because it went easy.  I've lived in Thailand for nearly 14 years now.

Near to the time of claiming I rang this number 0099441912187777.

As long as you have the answer to the questions they will ask you it should be able to complete things with one phone call.  If you don't have the correct answers, then you will have to fill out the form and as you mentioned, it can take months.  You can find the application form online and that should tell you what questions they will ask you.  Employment details, addresses, marital status, that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, essexman said:

I claimed my state pension just over two years ago.  I must be one of the lucky ones because it went easy.  I've lived in Thailand for nearly 14 years now.

Near to the time of claiming I rang this number 0099441912187777.

As long as you have the answer to the questions they will ask you it should be able to complete things with one phone call.  If you don't have the correct answers, then you will have to fill out the form and as you mentioned, it can take months.  You can find the application form online and that should tell you what questions they will ask you.  Employment details, addresses, marital status, that sort of thing.

Online form and your invitation code is also very easy.

I contacted the International Pensions Centre last week to inform them that I wished to claim the UK state pension as of late April 2024. They informed me that the easiest way was to prepare for the questions that would be asked by gathering the information required via the application form they immediately emailed me and phone them back at my convenience. I have a choice of doing it via snail mail or simply calling them. As I am residing abroad, it cannot be done online. According to the lady I spoke to, the timeframe is about 2 weeks if claiming by calling for approval and payment dates. +44 (0) 191 218 7777

The lady was extremely helpful, polite and courteous, she even called me back because she had problems hearing me. She also informed me that the data on the HMRC app is not linked to the IPS so therefore it might not correctly reflect the correct amount of pension to be received. As my pension will be approved and dealt with by the IPC, I should not complain to them if the HMRC app does not reflect my correct payments or information. As it stands, both departments reflect the same so all is good!   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madgee said:

She also informed me that the data on the HMRC app is not linked to the IPS so therefore it might not correctly reflect the correct amount of pension to be received. As my pension will be approved and dealt with by the IPC, I should not complain to them if the HMRC app does not reflect my correct payments or information.

So much for joined up government and the multi millions that have been spent on it.......:whistling:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

I wil be living here permanently, so what is the drill with informing the DWP.? 

A simple process or do they make a meal of it.? The pension will still be going into my UK bank so minimal change for them. 

Simple, just phone them up and tell them when you are leaving, they will need an address to send the confirmation you are still alive every couple of years.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pappap said:

Simple, just phone them up and tell them when you are leaving, they will need an address to send the confirmation you are still alive every couple of years.

Thank you for that Pappap, I am already here so wil that confuse them.? 

Just now, saintdomingo said:

Thank you for that Pappap, I am already here so wil that confuse them.? 

No they'll just want to know when you left, the pension is frozen at that level from then, some will say as you have a uk address maybe consider delaying telling them so as to get the pension increase, I'm not getting into the issue's regarding that but it appears some don't inform them. :-)

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 10:09 AM, Madgee said:

A question for those who receive their state pension directly to a Thai bank:
It specifies that it is received in the local currency and the amount can vary depending on the current exchange rate so is the exchange rate competitive?
If so does the receiving bank make any charges? 

I am due the full UK state pension after April 2024 so will be entitled to the next increase in April. I still have a UK bank acct which it could be paid into but considering changing my financial requirements for retirement extension from 800k in a Thai bank to the combination method as it would be simple if my pension is directly paid to Thailand, thus releasing capital to use without further international transfers from the UK where it earns much more interest.

Just food for thought!

Before anyone chimes in about future pension increases etc. I have no UK address. 
Although I fully support that pension increases should apply regardless where a person resides, I have no intension of committing fraud.  

The government is committing fraud by not giving you what you have paid for, so why would you be? No one has ever been prosecuted for not declaring they are living abroad while drawing their state pension. I emphasis the word "state".

• Confused 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2020 at 12:57 PM, theoldgit said:

Can we draw an end to this bickering now please.

The rules are quite clear in respect of the State Pension, if you reside in the UK, or a few other countries, your State Pension will be uplifted annually.

If you live in Thailand, and numerous other countries, you don't get any increases.

It is your responsibility to keep the DWP advised of your current residential address.

If you decide to lie, then that's up you, you may get caught, in all probability you won't, I know of two that were.

Whilst my personal integrity wouldn't allow me to lie by not updating the DWP with my address details to receive the increases, I wouldn't criticise those whose integrity differs from mine.

I think we all agree the system is very wrong.

Is there any reason that one could not open a Philippine account - transfer pension there and use an ATM and get the annual uplift?  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Is there any reason that one could not open a Philippine account - transfer pension there and use an ATM and get the annual uplift?  

I’m not sure that I’m qualified to answer that question, assuming that it’s not a joke.

I suppose that if a Philippine bank was prepared to open a bank account when you’re non resident, and you were prepared to try and convince the DWP that you ere resident there, you’d of course need a local address, then it would be possible, but is it really worth the risk?
You’d of course need to factor in another currency fluctuation and the ATM fee in Thailand.

15 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

The government is committing fraud by not giving you what you have paid for, so why would you be? No one has ever been prosecuted for not declaring they are living abroad while drawing their state pension. I emphasis the word "state".

Too true. Nobody on state pension ever has been sanctioned, cannot say same for pension credit,sickness,or host of other benefits. Easy to find out Freedom of Information from DWP.  I'm on PIP since returned to UK,soon £109 per week, tax free,  not bad, but not risking it, state pension ? untouchable,   of course "I know someone brigade pipes up"   Nobody has ever been punished.     If u want frozen, International  Pensions the way to go

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BobBKK said:

What could possibly go wrong!

You would need a mailing address in the PI to receive your proof of life certificate and the DWP might think it strange that yours was being signed by somebody in Thailand rather than somebody in the PI and was mailed from there. And then there's the cost of maintaining that mail drop, and the cost of travel to the PI to attend to various matters....open the bank account, open the mail drop, obtain a new ATM card when yours was eaten by a Thai ATM or lost when your wallet was nicked. Then of course there's the ex rate issue and the bank and ATM charges. I haven't done the math but it seems to me your plan would soon put you in negative territory and that you'd soon think the annual increase wasn't worth having.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I haven't done the math but it seems to me your plan would soon put you in negative territory and that you'd soon think the annual increase wasn't worth having.

2023 pension rise 10% = 800 GBP + 500gbp wf total 1300gbp.

2024 pension rise 8% = 800gbp plus 800 from 2023 plus 500gbp wf total 2100gbp.

So the increase is certainly worth having, not sure why you need the PI bank though, UK bank +WISE is good enough for disguising your real residence.

Mail drop maybe 200 pounds a year, making you a 1900gbp profit in 2024.

Easier to just remain apparently  living in the UK, use your last UK address, nobody checks you still live there and no proof of life forms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

2023 pension rise 10% = 800 GBP + 500gbp wf total 1300gbp.

2024 pension rise 8% = 800gbp plus 800 from 2023 plus 500gbp wf total 2100gbp.

So the increase is certainly worth having, not sure why you need the PI bank though, UK bank +WISE is good enough for disguising your real residence.

Mail drop maybe 200 pounds a year, making you a 1900gbp profit in 2024.

Easier to just remain apparently  living in the UK, use your last UK address, nobody checks you still live there and no proof of life forms.

Very true, the only slight danger is if somebody gobs you in, then again they would need to know your full name and date of birth.