UK Pensions and related info

13 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I guess that's the difference. I just pre-loaded 10 quid a couple of years back, which lasts quite a long time.

have to use some of the credit every 6 months or you lose it all

13 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

@Eff1n2ret..a genuine question because I know they can be helpful.

To be honest, I didn't think to ask, assuming that they wouldn't accept a phone call because it could be from anybody. I have a copy of the form on file, so I just filled it in and on Tuesday took it up to the local pharmacist for witnessing.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

Yes mine was paid to my UK bank Thursday normally every monday!

From the initial start my UK pension DWP (IPC) said would be paid into my Thai bank on Mondays.

It got changed to Thursdays because bank codes for the swift thingy or whatever.

Anyway i asked DWP for the 3 days in hand to be added to my next pension. 

I got no reply. ????

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

From the initial start my UK pension DWP (IPC) said would be paid into my Thai bank on Mondays.

It got changed to Thursdays because bank codes for the swift thingy or whatever.

Anyway i asked DWP for the 3 days in hand to be added to my next pension. 

I got no reply. ????

I have'nt used "Swift" i just get money transfered via Halifax bank £9.50 regardless of the amount, usually 4 days which is OK as said always arrives monday except for bank holidays, have recently well 3 or 4 months back filled in a proof of life form sent back registered so hopefully everything went through, not surprised at no reply from DWP probably some lazy assed bartsart working from home and refusing to return to his/her office, and our spineless so called leaders are frightened to do anything about it!

6 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I have'nt used "Swift" i just get money transfered via Halifax bank £9.50 regardless of the amount, usually 4 days which is OK as said always arrives monday except for bank holidays, have recently well 3 or 4 months back filled in a proof of life form sent back registered so hopefully everything went through, not surprised at no reply from DWP probably some lazy assed bartsart working from home and refusing to return to his/her office, and our spineless so called leaders are frightened to do anything about it!

I was referring to having my UK pension paid directly into my Thai bank via UK city-bank.

The problem at the time from what I understand was that certain transfer codes were needed by the Bangkok Bank to receive money from abroad, I'm not sure about other Thai banks.

The delay revealed now for me apparently from what I remember being told, is instead of the UK pension being paid directly into my local Bangkok Bank account it is paid into the Bangkok Bank head office branch in Bangkok first, then they send it to my local branch.  

Other pension money in UK put in my UK bank I get via 'WISE' they are much cheaper that what you pay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

A healthy 10.1% increase for those who are yet to achieve retirement age and those, dare I say it …. renegades ????, who forgot to mention they moved to Thailand .

Nothing would be done anyway being forgetful, never has, never will 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, Kinnock said:

Just consulting the collective Aseannow wisdom ....

I turn 66 later this year, and looking at the DWP info it says that my State Pension will be frozen at the level it was when I left the UK. 

I moved to Thailand in 2008, so does that mean I get the 2008 pension amount?  Or does it start at this year's rate, and stays frozen going forward?

Supplementary question:

I've maintained a UK address, so what if I moved back to the UK around the time of 66th birthday, claimed the pension from there, then moved back here, informing them I left the UK this year.  Would my pension now be frozen at the 2023 rate, which got a reasonable inflation hike?

Thanks for any info.

This applies to me too, 66 on September 24th. 

I will be back in the UK on the 1st August through to mid October. I have maintained a UK address and bank account and my name is on the utility bills.

As I see it , I might as well apply when I return  rather than doing so online from here. If I mention I live in Thailand I will not be eligible for any further pension increase. Not much point in declaring my Thai marriage either since it is not registered in England and would give the game away. As I understand it ( correct me if I'm wrong ) , a Thai wife living in Thailand will not be eligible for a widows pension so no point mentioning it.

My mother is slowly going blind and I will probably have to return to the UK to care for her in a year or two so my days here are numbered anyway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can only apply online from within the UK. 

Ok ....my bad , so I will have to claim in the UK anyway.  I won't do it online either since no computer at my mothers house and doing it through the post they will have to address it to me there , further supporting my claim to be living there. A friend went to AgeUK and let them fill the forms in for him for them and when he forgot things and dates they knew what to put in the blank spaces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denim said:

This applies to me too, 66 on September 24th. 

I will be back in the UK on the 1st August through to mid October. I have maintained a UK address and bank account and my name is on the utility bills.

As I see it , I might as well apply when I return  rather than doing so online from here. If I mention I live in Thailand I will not be eligible for any further pension increase. Not much point in declaring my Thai marriage either since it is not registered in England and would give the game away. As I understand it ( correct me if I'm wrong ) , a Thai wife living in Thailand will not be eligible for a widows pension so no point mentioning it.

My mother is slowly going blind and I will probably have to return to the UK to care for her in a year or two so my days here are numbered anyway.

I am so sorry to hear about your mother.

You have my deepest sympathy.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I am so sorry to hear about your mother.

You have my deepest sympathy.

Thanks. Yea , it's a bummer but nothing to be done. Macular degeneration is just one problem. But she is taking it on the chin and wants me to stay here with my wife as long as possible. The kindest woman I know. 

Sadly my wife can't come with me as she is also the main carer for her own 89 year old mum. A case of the old looking after the oldest. On the plus side I will be able to get back here for holidays and wife can visit me also. Then there is skype for the rest.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Now she has to start again with me at 79, and has taken over the jobs that I used to do including the laundry and having to drive me around.

Luckier indeed. Your wife can drive !! My wife and wheels have a poor relationship. I do all the housework now plus maintain garden and car plus feed the dogs since my wife is doing all her mothers chores.  I dread to think what will happen to the garden when I have to leave. My holidays will be spent hacking away at jungle with a machete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Denim said:

Luckier indeed. Your wife can drive !! My wife and wheels have a poor relationship. I do all the housework now plus maintain garden and car plus feed the dogs since my wife is doing all her mothers chores.  I dread to think what will happen to the garden when I have to leave. My holidays will be spent hacking away at jungle with a machete.

I had to give all that up.

My wife hired a guy for the grass and scrub clearance and paid him 1,200 thb for one day and 2 half days, We provided the kruang, the gasoline, the angle grinder and the nylon strips and he did the hard work.

he did more in one day and 2 half days than I used to manage an hour a day for 3 weeks. He cleared about 5 rai.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fulhamster said:

Tried to call the Future Pension Centre on 0044 191 218 3600 but could not get through as I get a message that the number is invalid.  Has anyone managed to get through ?

I used the 0800 731 0175 number on Skype.  Costs nothing.

• Like 1

My 66th birthday was on June 2nd, so I'm expecting my first UK state pension payment in July. I'm having it paid direct into my SCB account. Can anyone give me a rough idea when the funds might be available please.

9 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

My 66th birthday was on June 2nd, so I'm expecting my first UK state pension payment in July. I'm having it paid direct into my SCB account. Can anyone give me a rough idea when the funds might be available please.

How and when your benefits are paid - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

PS;  They are paid in Surname Alphabetical order unless you request otherwise A-! Monday   !-W Friday

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 2