UK Pensions and related info

10 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Very true, the only slight danger is if somebody gobs you in, then again they would need to know your full name and date of birth.

Trivia....I think it is "dobs" you in, which is slang for date of birth and a way of identifying a person to the authorities.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

What could possibly go wrong!

You would need a mailing address in the PI to receive your proof of life certificate and the DWP might think it strange that yours was being signed by somebody in Thailand rather than somebody in the PI and was mailed from there. And then there's the cost of maintaining that mail drop, and the cost of travel to the PI to attend to various matters....open the bank account, open the mail drop, obtain a new ATM card when yours was eaten by a Thai ATM or lost when your wallet was nicked. Then of course there's the ex rate issue and the bank and ATM charges. I haven't done the math but it seems to me your plan would soon put you in negative territory and that you'd soon think the annual increase wasn't worth having.

Strange reply. I go to the Philippines regularly and would obviously have a PI address as part of the setup. I have Filipino friends who would help with that, or I'd use an agent's business address. I think the 10% increase lately or even 3/4% annually FAR out strips the small cost of annual bank charges. If the card gets chewed I get a new one sent to my friends and sent to me.

I have many friends HERE in THAILAND who use friends and family addresses in the UK to get the rises - that is far more likely to be an issue imho.

I don't understand your comment "signed by somebody in Thailand rather than somebody in the PI and was mailed from there." - what does it mean?  it would be signed for in PI not here.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2023 pension rise 10% = 800 GBP + 500gbp wf total 1300gbp.

2024 pension rise 8% = 800gbp plus 800 from 2023 plus 500gbp wf total 2100gbp.

So the increase is certainly worth having, not sure why you need the PI bank though, UK bank +WISE is good enough for disguising your real residence.

Mail drop maybe 200 pounds a year, making you a 1900gbp profit in 2024.

Easier to just remain apparently  living in the UK, use your last UK address, nobody checks you still live there and no proof of life forms.

I have been here 15 years - no UK address?  I don't want to impose on friends or put them at risk - however small. However, MANY do it that way, but there is a risk.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2023 pension rise 10% = 800 GBP + 500gbp wf total 1300gbp.

2024 pension rise 8% = 800gbp plus 800 from 2023 plus 500gbp wf total 2100gbp.

So the increase is certainly worth having, not sure why you need the PI bank though, UK bank +WISE is good enough for disguising your real residence.

Mail drop maybe 200 pounds a year, making you a 1900gbp profit in 2024.

Easier to just remain apparently  living in the UK, use your last UK address, nobody checks you still live there and no proof of life forms.

I think you have forgotten about the Annual Canvass sent to the main householder each year

The Canvass Reform regulations were introduced for the 2020 Annual Canvass. Each year all elector details held on the electoral register are matched against the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) records. Each elector is then  given a match status – either green (matched) or red (unmatched).

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/council_and_democracy/voting_and_elections/voting/registering_to_vote.aspx

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I have been here 15 years - no UK address?  I don't want to impose on friends or put them at risk - however small. However, MANY do it that way, but there is a risk.

Agree, there is risk, and not just for family and friends who might get roped in. Just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow (the problem of induction, to give it a fancy name). My own attitude is I can get by cos I have 2 pensions, and one of them is inflation linked, so it's just not worth the hassle. If I was totally dependent on my State pension I might take a different attitude, but more likely I'd just move to the Philippines.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

Strange reply. I go to the Philippines regularly and would obviously have a PI address as part of the setup. I have Filipino friends who would help with that, or I'd use an agent's business address. I think the 10% increase lately or even 3/4% annually FAR out strips the small cost of annual bank charges. If the card gets chewed I get a new one sent to my friends and sent to me.

I have many friends HERE in THAILAND who use friends and family addresses in the UK to get the rises - that is far more likely to be an issue imho.

I don't understand your comment "signed by somebody in Thailand rather than somebody in the PI and was mailed from there." - what does it mean?  it would be signed for in PI not here.

Ah, you didn't mention any of those things in your previous post, nor your relationship with and visits to the PI. That changes the picture significantly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I haven't been on the electoral register for 15 years, still getting my pension rises and winter fuel payment.

A pal of mine hasn't been in the UK for 30 years, needed a UK address, I told him to use his last UK address and he subsequently passed the credit check.

They have no record, and don't care. There is no reason to fear your government, they are barely competent at best.

As for relatives,

I have no idea who lives at my given UK address, and don't really care.

Once the DWP can access your bank account these are the areas of fraud they are interested in

DWP analysis shows that the key areas where fraud is highest include:

Edited by vinny41
add

8 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Once the DWP can access your bank account these are the areas of fraud they are interested in

DWP analysis shows that the key areas where fraud is highest include:

My bank account shows no overseas payments, ever!

If my bank thought I lived outside the UK, they would close my account.

Ps. A few years back I saw a report suggesting the DWP had no recent address details for up to 40% of British pensioners.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My bank account shows no overseas payments, ever!

If my bank thought I lived outside the UK, they would close my account.

Ps. A few years back I saw a report suggesting the DWP had no recent address details for up to 40% of British pensioners.

When they have access to your bank account it will flag up no council tax payments no utility bill payments. no atm withdrawals, no shopping bills

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

When they have access to your bank account it will flag up no council tax payments no utility bill payments. no atm withdrawals, no shopping bills

Did someone pass a law making it compulsory to only have one bank account, and pay all bills separately through it while I wasn't looking?

Do you think some pensioners may withdraw all their pension as cash once a month and just pay cash for everything?

Have you ever met any old folk that live with their children or in private care homes?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

....... and ?

What do you expect,  the dwp will ask the banks to run a number of reports

No direct debits, no council tax payments no utility payments 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Ah, you didn't mention any of those things in your previous post, nor your relationship with and visits to the PI. That changes the picture significantly.

Ya, sorry - the most frustrating thing is I had an account at Metrobank for years and shut it last year when I sold my condo in PI - God, do I regret doing that haha

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, fulhamboy said:

I about to own up to five years of pension increase while in thailand ?

Anybody done this ?

Sorry say that again?  you are about to voluntarily declare you lived here for the last 5 years?

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Did someone pass a law making it compulsory to only have one bank account, and pay all bills separately through it while I wasn't looking?

Do you think some pensioners may withdraw all their pension as cash once a month and just pay cash for everything?

Have you ever met any old folk that live with their children or in private care homes?

Banks and esp HMRC send letters about increases and tax codes, I wonder if this is to catch people when letters might be returned not at this address? They could send emails, they do it even when paperless contact is chosen, bit risky.

15 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I can understand why people feel aggrieved about pensions being frozen and commit fraud by declaring a UK resident address, up to them. 

Openly admitting to taking the heating allowance.... Scumbags. 

Pales into insignificance when you consider what illegal immigrants get, over a million quid a day just spent on free hotels.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

You are still not scaring me....................

Me neither .........

Worst case scenario, I get jail time in the UK, free health care, free dental care, free accomodation, and free food.

Doesn't sound that bad to me, better than a old person's care home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1