Drinking Water

sambum

I have just received an email from Gov.UK, where a recent update regarding sea water entering the fresh water supply, included the following information:-

"Thailand’s Metropolitan Waterworks Authority advise that there is no risk to public health from drinking tap water" 

Really? Then why do thousands, nay, millions of people in Thailand buy bottled water?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The question behind the question is: 'Who says it is not safe to drink'?

Lonely Planet guides? The bottled water industry? Personally I believe in many cases the public is being conned when it comes to tap water safety. I'll agree that in more rural areas the water might not be so safe, but cities and towns. should OK. I happily drank the tap water in Udon Thani with any qualms.

Why do you suppose that 2.8 billion liters of bottled water are sold every year in the UK? Tap water is safe enough to drink there but still many people are being conned.

Edited by Moonlover

Apparently the water leaving the Waterworks Authority is ok to drink, but the pies that lead the water away are old and probably leave all sorts of residue in the water.

We have installed a water filter and have used that for years.

Having said that, we have been buying drinking water for a week now due to the extra high levels of salt in the water.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Lonely Planet guides? The bottled water industry? Personally I believe in many cases the public is being conned when it comes to tap water safety. I'll agree that in more rural areas the water might not be so safe, but cities and towns. should OK. I happily drank the tap water in Udon Thani with any qualms.

Why do you suppose that 2.8 billion liters of bottled water are sold every year in the UK? Tap water is safe enough to drink there but still many people are being conned.

Where I live(d) in the UK (NW England) the tap water tasted awful, so I had to put a dash of orange juice (or tea or coffee!) in it to disguise the taste - or, as you say, buy bottled water at extortionate prices. 

South of KK.    Having found nematodes in Govt water supply I drink only bottled water ( 5 litre bottles-5 baht (( my own)) delivered, from someone I trust.  
Govt water last year often had sand from broken pipes.

Have found nematodes in hotel water supply / storage before.

Can't tell about big city waterworks.

Here in the village I never heard/seen someone drink tap water or use it for cooking.

Cheapest option is water from the big plastic bottles (~5 gallons/19 liter?). Is it 20 Baht per bottle? Empty bottles back to shop in exchange.

For drinking we use bottled water. 24 glass bottles 0.5 liters each in a crate for 65 Baht.

(5.4 Baht/liter)

Empty bottles/crate go back to shop in exchange.

Even if chlorinated water might be "OK" I would not dare to drink it.

No thanks.

On 1/13/2020 at 2:00 PM, sambum said:

Really? Then why do thousands, nay, millions of people in Thailand buy bottled water?

It is like this. People that grow up in a country, get the bacteria of their drinking water in their body at an early age. Therefore they can drink the water with no problem. Many citizens in many countries chose to buy their drinking water, though. If a foreigner comes to Thailand and starts drinking the tap water he can get really sick, because his body do not have the resistance to the bacteria. 

However, this is about the danger regarding the level of salinity in the tap water. They are doing the tests and say it´s not any danger in that. If we shall belive them or not, is not relevant, but they do not test any other aspects of the water when bringing this in the news.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 8:46 AM, Moonlover said:

Yes, I am not in the UK I am in OZ and I am surprised how many people buy

bottled water, I never ever bought bottled water in my life apart from the

years I lived in Thailand. Saying that, the tap water is save in OZ and taste

quiet nice (apart from some places in the sticks) You imaging how many

plastic bottles get produced and not recycled. What about all the oil is

needed to produce all the bottles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Can't tell about big city waterworks.

Here in the village I never heard/seen someone drink tap water or use it for cooking.

Cheapest option is water from the big plastic bottles (~5 gallons/19 liter?). Is it 20 Baht per bottle? Empty bottles back to shop in exchange.

For drinking we use bottled water. 24 glass bottles 0.5 liters each in a crate for 65 Baht.

(5.4 Baht/liter)

Empty bottles/crate go back to shop in exchange.

Even if chlorinated water might be "OK" I would not dare to drink it.

No thanks.

My own 5 litre bottles are collected and delivered same day, have used this service for 4 years, never a problem, bottles still in original boxes.     I use for drinking ( 3 litre a day ) and cooking and detoxing so get through close to 10 litre a day.

I am wary of larger bottles because of algae.  I used to visit high security farms where everyone drank from the large green bottles or water chiller large bottles, out of courtesy I was always given and expected to drink from new half litre bottles.     One day all people on the farm, management included ( me excepted ) fell very ill from contaminated water.     It was the last time any of the companies farms used large bottles.