Thai troops given the nod for cadet courses in Russia

webfact

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Should be Ok King Rama 6 went to Sandhurst.

Which was, at the time (the early 1900s), a very different organisation to what it is now, and definitely different to the modern Russian Military Academy!

Edited by JAG

47 minutes ago, JAG said:

Which was, at the time (the early 1900s), a very different organisation to what it is now, and definitely different to the modern Russian Military Academy!

I just looked. There are tens of them. I don't belive the article said which one they could attend.

9 hours ago, bangkokfrog said:

Interesting. Thai students study English at school for 12 years and most can't hold a very basic conversation. How could they be expected to become fluent in Russian in just 10 months?

Which should include learning to read and write the Russian script and conversation in Russian language. Ten months surely not possible, especially when most of the cadets have no interest whatever in learning another language.

Russian soldiers are tough bu##ers !  They are highly trained in Systema which is a brutal combat system. I can't see the Thai guys winning any fights over there. but they might learn to run faster !  Another useless political exercise

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Russian soldiers are tough bu##ers !  They are highly trained in Systema which is a brutal combat system. I can't see the Thai guys winning any fights over there. but they might learn to run faster !  Another useless political exercise

Even working on the standard minimum 4 to 1 in a fight I can still see the outcome.

A better idea would be a 3 months basic training course in UK for infantry recruits. Two or three good UK army drill pigs for three months would be a real eye opener for them.

Ever polished a dustbin in the guard room??? or 'bumpered' a ceiling???

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Even working on the standard minimum 4 to 1 in a fight I can still see the outcome.

A better idea would be a 3 months basic training course in UK for infantry recruits. Two or three good UK army drill pigs for three months would be a real eye opener for them.

Ever polished a dustbin in the guard room??? or 'bumpered' a ceiling???

Cant see them lasting 3 months in the UK, even the army cadets in the UK would run rings around this lot

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fred white said:

The pm can learn from puten he's working on changing the constitution so he can remain president forever

Don't know all the details but on UK news they are reporting the whole gov'has resigned. Where would that leave Putin???

Edited by overherebc

3 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Prayut Cha-Cha needs to distance his regime from both the ChiComs and the Russcoms.  Thailand’s reputation now at stake.

He'll do exactly the opposite. Those two don't care about a coup or military juntas or whatever. They are used to oppressing their subjects. Others tend to whine about it.

• Like 1

I am probably not allowed to post the link so I won't - but if you look up an article about Gen Apirat chief of the army in the Bangkok Post. he "lashes out at old communists" that are behind all the problems according to him in Thailand. This was on the 12th of Oct 2019.

The war against communists in Thailand lasted from 1965 to 1983....how many ex-pats knew that? Basically the whole time the USA was fighting the Vietcong and the USA was using Thailand as a base to flatten 3 neighbouring countries a guerrilla war was going on in LoS.

Also, the communist party of Siam was founded in 1926 by extreme left wing chinese that had fled China.

So why now, does this junta government lie down like lap dogs to big brother China and seeks help from mother Russia to train the troops?

as with all things reported about Siam.....all very very bizzare....