Home visit by immigration...

Act normal when they arrive and be nice and friendly as they go through the process. If/when the issue of paying their 'costs' comes, then ask the wife to take over things and negotiate a lower amount.  Seems 300-500 Baht is likely to make them happy from what others have said. The upside is that they will approve, and when you go to the Immi Office in future, you will be treated good. Think of 2000 as an ambit claim.

But if they never mention it, then as they are leaving, offer to give them some 'gas money'. Think of it not as a bribe, but as an opportunity to 'curry' some favour with the local Immi Office. Being in favour will come in handy in the future, especially if even more draconian rules and regs are introduced by the Thai Govt against Expats living in Thailand.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Nothing given... Wont expect it next time.. hopefully..as of today all went well 

Happy for you but the fact you needed to get your wife's boss and other staff for that, well, doesn't make me think it is good at all lol. 
If you were to only do 3 months visa's with 2 month extensions they never show up or question this,
I think that is kind of silly (as that person could stay as long or even longer in TH already).

I stopped doing 90 day reports since 1-2 years, neither TM30 every single time, just once after getting back from a new visa, never had questions or complaints.
All they do during extensions is checking if I have that TM30 paper stapled in my passport (and the address never changed anyway).
If they were to complain in the future and fine me 2K baht once, I be happy as of all the saved rides and time.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

Cultural divide: we see it as a scam, while they see it as an entitlement. They are probably aware of this divide as much as we do, but they might well be less "helpful" in future dealings you might have with them.

My advice would be to bargain and pay, and rest assured they'd greatly appreciate your "Thainess".

• Confused 2

On 2/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Happy for you but the fact you needed to get your wife's boss and other staff for that, well, doesn't make me think it is good at all lol. 
If you were to only do 3 months visa's with 2 month extensions they never show up or question this,
I think that is kind of silly (as that person could stay as long or even longer in TH already).

I stopped doing 90 day reports since 1-2 years, neither TM30 every single time, just once after getting back from a new visa, never had questions or complaints.
All they do during extensions is checking if I have that TM30 paper stapled in my passport (and the address never changed anyway).
If they were to complain in the future and fine me 2K baht once, I be happy as of all the saved rides and time.

"I stopped doing 90 day reports since 1-2 years,"

If you left the country every 90 days, no need for a 90 days report. Don't compare yourself with expats living here long term. We can't "stop doing 90 days reports". Understand? Why would anyone pay 8000 baht of fines/year? And the 90 days report is possible to do online if staying far away from immigration.